• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-2 Southampton (FAC): The Verdict

I don't really worry about Fabio in terms of goalscoring. In the long run if he just keeps getting in the positions he is tending to, he will score goals. I just think people will never be happy because then the attention will turn to 'what does he offer apart from that'. I think he's just going to be a very good goalscorer, that will be the type of forward he is

For me it's because i can see what he's about and what he is good at and what he will be good at. I've seen enough footballers develop and it's obvious how good a footballer he is. He's just in the wrong team at the wrong time trying to develop and and adapt to professional football. Put him in a side that dominated the ball, got bodies around him and runners off him and i think we would all see why he is so highly rated. It's actually criminal how we ask our strikers and wide forwards to play.
I know Johnny, YW and yourself do or did work in the game so respect your opinions, but how do you explain the finishing with your overall judgement? That's the bit i struggle to reconcile as I don't believe that's down to age

For the rest of the season I want to split up the pairing of Neves and Moutinho. Their win record is awful.
I would also like to see a proper 4-2-3-1 when Boly and Podence are fit.
Rui P
Semedo Coady Boly Jonny
Neves Dendonker
Traore Podence Neto
Willian Jose

That should be the starting 11 with subs
Ruddy
Kilman
Silva
Otasowie
Podence
Vitinha
Moutinho
Saiss.
MGW.

Fucking Rubbush, our season isnover in February indont often complain about Numo but FFS

It must be very hard for Adama to pass when nobody is showing themselves to receive a pass..much like Neto when he had the ball, two of our players around him and they just stood still and watched what are you gonna do instead of showing themselves to get a pass..just one option left, run at two or more players and try to beat them

I think that's spot on. In Liverpool's team he'd be in the Firmino role and your see his movement and combination play better.
Yeah similar to that i think although again it would be for cup games and 20-30 minutes here and there. It's actually pissing me off more and more each week seeing him and us play and all the criticism he's getting when he's not at fault. The manager is failing him and most of the players right now by asking them to play in roles that don't suit them and by not having a way of attacking that doesn't rely on Neto and Adama beating 5 men.

I know Johnny, YW and yourself do or did work in the game so respect your opinions, but how do you explain the finishing with your overall judgement? That's the bit i struggle to reconcile as I don't believe that's down to age
A lot of that is decision making though isn't it. Like his choice when faced against Schmeichel, next time he possibly dinks it doesn't he? He's got to get it wrong in those situations at some point.

Same applies to the other young players. Hoever does pretty mental things at times when I have seen him but the foundations are there with him. Ait Nouri is slightly further along with his development than those two IMO but he switches off sometimes and can be a bit stronger physically too.

It must be very hard for Adama to pass when nobody is showing themselves to receive a pass..much like Neto when he had the ball, two of our players around him and they just stood still and watched what are you gonna do instead of showing themselves to get a pass..just one option left, run at two or more players and try to beat them
Are you blaming other players for Adama standing stock still and trying to beat 3 players?

Are you blaming other players for Adama standing stock still and trying to beat 3 players?
He tries to find somebody to pass the ball to, but they dont exist..same with Neto also

Conflating 2 different things. I don't disagree with any of those, but he's had gilt edged chances and missed another tonight
It was not a clear cut chance because the defender reacted quickly. Arguably the Leicester one was & he should have scored but it was a world class save. MGW did have a much better chance from Silva’s pass but he blew it. I don’t think I am guilty of conflation - Silva &, more recently, Jose just do not get decent service. Lets face it Mane & Firminho have scored little recently & they get great service!

He often has a pass on and chooses to run into traffic.

He didn't beat anyone tonight. Just ran straight into a defender and lost it. 1/10 and I'm being generous. He's lucky José was just as bad to take some of the attention away.

Reactions: jlo
I don't really worry about Fabio in terms of goalscoring. In the long run if he just keeps getting in the positions he is tending to, he will score goals. I just think people will never be happy because then the attention will turn to 'what does he offer apart from that'. I think he's just going to be a very good goalscorer, that will be the type of forward he is
He is a fantastic prospect getting some blame for the failure of experienced others.

He didn't beat anyone tonight. Just ran straight into a defender and lost it. 1/10 and I'm being generous. He's lucky José was just as bad to take some of the attention away.
he passed to Hoever a few times, one over the top of the defender then Hoever put in bad crosses

At 1630 my heart sank at the line up can accuse me of hindsight but I said before kick off how disappointed I was with the line up. Reasons for resting so many first team players are he’s still worried we could go down, because of this he also has zero confidence in his fringe players and is deeply concerned if we get injuries.
As for Fabio he definitely could do a lot more but his confidence must be shot to pieces by playing in one of the most negative sides in the league.
We’ve morphed in the space of 12 months from being a good counter attacking side with a clear identity to a drab bottom half confused rabble.

I think that's exactly what it is. Different level but look at his 2 goals in the EFL trophy and the Albion goal, the lad can finish. Commentator didn't get much right earlier but he did mention that Fabio looks a bit too eager at times and i think this is true and 1 thing that does look to be weaker than it should be is his heading. There's a pressure now on being able to finish more so than he has ever had and i think this all makes a difference as YW says it's about making that right decision.

Tonight yes but not always. He needs at least 45 minutes anyway.

Tonight i agree. But surely when you are discussing game plans, and on the training pitch you would be working on situations to make use of the fastest player you have? I would be.

Having that talent and not using to it's maximum advantage seems a total waste to me personally.

I think it's the dearth of chances he gets, it's usually one decent chance per game and, to be fair, he's been inches away (villa & Leicester) from at least doubling his tally with us. Maybe if he had more to work with he'd settle into a bit of a routine. This is also the highest level he's played at so will still be learning.

Back