• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-2 Southampton (FAC): The Verdict

Currently I feel like Silva shows none of the qualities that you would associate with a top quality prospect. His movement, touch, hold up or pressing doesn't stand out at this level, he doesn't look strong or quick in movement or mind. He doesn't seem to strike the ball well in the chances he has gotten neither, bar maybe the goals for the u23 he got against Donny?

IIt's difficult as he appears to be a striker bought to play in the box, and we are never in the box, however, he also attributes to that problem. If he was a Wolves graduate or someone we had signed from Rochdale you'd currently be saying he needs to go out on loan or have a spell at Grasshoppers Zurich. In a season of abject failure compared to what we hoped, he feels a key part of that regardless of the circumstances that see him playing. He feels like a vanity signing at the moment.

I hope I am as wrong as him as I was about Neto, but by this time last year I was already totally changed in my opinion on that signing, this one I started off giving them the benefit of the doubt (partly because of that) and the more I see of him, the more I am convinced he won't even match the 19 career prem goals that Connor Wickham managed.

He's had a number of full backs on toast this year but the issue is that his crossing and passing are pitiful. He doesn't show any inclination to go inside , regularly squaring up so he can only go down the outside, yet even when he does it rarely leads to clear chances. The classic cross for Raul to score against West Ham after lockdown was a gem amidst a pile of rubble and if he hasn't learnt how to use the ball now at 25 he's not suddenly going to become the new Ryan Giggs. He's a 3/4 trick pony - as the trick is rarely completed.
his crossing last year was great, straight on the head of Raul or dangerous for somebody else to get on to..of course nobody can put great crosses in everytime and im certainly not think he will be Ryan Giggs quality ffs..if we sell him, what do we have then going forward? maybe Neto, if he wanna stay, Raul if he comes back

his crossing last year was great, straight on the head of Raul or dangerous for somebody else to get on to..of course nobody can put great crosses in everytime and im certainly not think he will be Ryan Giggs quality ffs..if we sell him, what do we have then going forward? maybe Neto, if he wanna stay, Raul if he comes back
If we sell him we could get two in for £15m each - I'll bet both would score more and create more. One thing for certain is given Brentford's use of stats when recruiting he won't be going there!

The state of this thread - it’s basically just people rehashing all their old views they’ve had for ages.

confirmation bias all round. Night all.

If we sell him we could get two in for £15m each - I'll bet both would score more and create more. One thing for certain is given Brentford's use of stats when recruiting he won't be going there!
yeah, looks like we did good after selling Jota ;)

Legitimately can't think of many teams that would be able to pay any kind of serious money for Traore. Maybe he can go to Valencia part-ex as a favour from Uncle Jorge (wouldn't be Atletico, Simeone would kill him)

Ooh, or maybe West Ham.

The issue was replacing him with an 18 year old and nobody else.
To be fair i don't think Fabio was Jota's replacement. Neto was. And Fabio was to be Raul's understudy for a couple of years. We are where we are because of Raul's injury on that score.

yeah, looks like we did good after selling Jota ;)
Hindsight is a wonderful thing but this has been proved right. We really haven't replaced him properly and that is a failure of recruitment.

Yeah but let's not forget people were heavily critical of Diogo for quite a while

Yeah but let's not forget people very heavily critical of Diogo for quite a while

I think Nuno would've gone 3-5-2 at some point with Diogo and Silva up top and Neto in a free-ish role.

Instead we have two wingers and this horseshoe nonsense.

Yeah but let's not forget people very heavily critical of Diogo for quite a while

Yeah. Another player that the manager couldn’t figure out how to play properly. Great in a front 2 combining, not so great wide in a team with 8 back and asked to beat too many players.

Yeah. Another player that the manager couldn’t figure out how to play properly. Great in a front 2 combining, not so great wide in a team with 8 back and asked to beat too many players.
I think we are in danger of rewriting history here with Nuno. It feels like people are making out like he got lucky for three years (which is hilarious because it's our best 3 consecutive years in at least 40 years).

He's been a huge part of Jota's development, likewise with many players. Diogo was absolutely fine in the 343 when we got the positional play right (ie. playing nearer to the striker). There were just times where we would end up with him too wide because Jonny often came inside.

I think we are in danger of rewriting history here with Nuno. It feels like people are making out like he got lucky for three years (which is hilarious because it's our best 3 consecutive years in at least 40 years).

He's been a huge part of Jota's development, likewise with many players. Diogo was absolutely fine in the 343 when we got the positional play right (ie. playing nearer to the striker). There were just times where we would end up with him too wide because Jonny often came inside.
That in bold. Players are good, manager the same. The formations and the way we play them not good at all. Is this the coaching staff or the players is the question.

That in bold. Players are good, manager the same. The formations and the way we play them not good at all. Is this the coaching staff or the players is the question.
A lot of what has gone wrong this season is on Nuno, don't get me wrong. He needs to put it right too, ahead of next season. I just find it quite sad that people are so quick to dismiss and prepared to move on at the first sign of trouble from someone who has quite literally transformed the club. I don't want to hear 'there's no sentiment in football' either. We aren't the ones making that decision anyway.

A lot of what has gone wrong this season is on Nuno, don't get me wrong. He needs to put it right too, ahead of next season. I just find it quite sad that people are so quick to dismiss and prepared to move on at the first sign of trouble from someone who has quite literally transformed the club. I don't want to hear 'there's no sentiment in football' either. We aren't the ones making that decision anyway.

There have to be the green shoots of recovery though, and a demonstration you know the problems and can solve them. He needs to show that sharpish, a whole season like this isn't easy to come back from ☹️

Back