• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0 - Burnley 0 - the better than Bristol verdict thread

Price did well and we had more of a pattern! Kenny hopefully will give him a run now

In all fairness what an awful game of football. The lack of quality in this league is mind boggling.

Burnley are in the top 3 yet didn't look like a side that were anywhere near there, they had a couple of half chances in the first half but that was about it. They didn't play any football at all. Saying that we weren't much better and we really should have taken advantage of them being there to be beaten but we never really looked like going for it and the lack of quality in the final third is a worry.

I felt sorry for Afobe because he was so isolated and Edwards never really linked with him until the second half when Benik should have scored but when you only have one chance a game the pressure is on it. The game was crying out for us to have a midfielder linking up the play, taking advantage of our 3 vs 2 in midfield and getting into pockets between McDonald and Afobe but Edwards just doesn't do that. For what side we have we also cross the ball far too much and looked much better when Afobe and Byrne worked the ball into the box to get a shot off.

Martinez - Did everything he needed to but you could see he was carrying an injury and was eventually taken off.

Iorfa - Never troubled defensively but lacked quality going forward. Too many poor crosses.

Batth - One good pass in the first half for Afobe but his distribution other than that is poor. Never really troubled defensively.

Williamson - Looks solid and much better distribution than i thought he would have and like the rest of our defence was never troubled.

Golbourne - Solid. Hard to link with Ojo when no one knows what he's going to do and linked better with Byrne.

Henry - Flatters to deceive far too often. Looks great until it comes to the final cross, pass or shot. Far too many crosses into the box which Afobe and Edwards aren't going to win too often.

Price - Don't think he had much to do and gave the ball away a couple of times in the first half but was much better in the 2nd half.

McDonald - Tried but not quite where we need him to be. Tried a couple of ball to Afobe that would have got there last year and then failed to play them a couple of times when Benik would have been in on goal.

Ojo - Awful. Can't take a man on and just not good enough, i struggle to see how he has any goals and assists. Rightly booked for diving and probably could have been booked in the first half for a dive as well.

Edward - Usual Edwards but we didn't need him in this game. We needed someone to link the play and pick up space behind Barton and Jones which were there to be exploited.

Afobe - Feel sorry for him, tried and looked good when we eventually got the ball to him. Had one real chance and should have scored but just pulled it wide. Made runs constantly but we didn't have anyone to find him and can understand why he would be frustrated.

SUBS

Ikeme - No idea why he got a hero's welcome. Just our fans being dickheads i think because he's "our" player. Didn't have anything to do but did drop the ball on the first cross that came in to the box and was cheered, strange.

Byrne - Much better than Ojo and added something we needed but not quite got the end product at the minute. Maybe would be better attacking from the right where he is used to and would like to see him there.

At least we didn't lose and a point against a side who started the day in 2nd looks good but we really should have taken all 3 as Burnley were there for the beating. We have played the the top 3 sides at Molineux this season and not one of them have been a good side. We should have beaten both Hull and Burnley and Brighton never looked like breaking our 10 men down.

Hard to disagree with any of that slink. As for Ojo could he quite have easily been booked twice for diving yesterday, surely someone needs to just say to him "stop diving its pathetic" the fact no one has suggests to me there's no leadership there. Especially as he has now been booked 3 times this season for it.

We looked well organised and it was a vast amount better than a number of displays this season, but that isn't really a high bar. We looked the better team which as has been said, shows up the quality of the league for what it is.

Would gladly never see Ojo in a gold shirt again, waste of time. Afobe was good but really needs better support, we can't be having him bring balls down, hold off centre halves and then have no-one within 20 yards of him, Edwards was crap yesterday. Price predictably helped us, he shouldn't be subject to the manager's whims, he's every bit as crucial to us as Batth or McDonald. Golbourne was excellent and my MOTM.

In isolation a point is fine but it's not much good to us where we are.

Martinez was hurt in the first minutes and Ikeme started warming up very early. I kept seeing him wince when he kicked it, then he elected to throw it long out of the box... Heywood cane round to talk to him after about half an hour and I was expecting him to be subbed at half time. Seems odd to me he was sent back out.

As for the game, Ojo is fucking shite and a fucking shite cheat too. I refuse to believe that Graham would offer less so I'd bomb him out and keep Graham in that off the bench role. Much improved when Byrne came on but felt neither side showed enough conviction going forwards, would slow play and concede momentum.

Could be a useful building step if we follow it up but meaningless if it's in isolation. Thought Burnley were bang average and was expecting a thumping so all in all pleased with a draw.

Got talking to a few Burnley fans on the train, they reckoned it was their worst performance of the season. They also said that the elbow/forearm on Byrne was 100% deliberate and they wouldve been in the best place to see really.

Shame he couldn't put in a better cross eh?

Guessing it wasn't a great game if that's the only highlight.

Back