• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0 - Charlton 0 The most frustrating verdict thread

Afobe guilty of dropping too deep too often today. I don't want to see him 50 yards from goal.

Afobe looked at fair bit stringer and more direct than macalinden. Thought he was a bit starved of service really, apart from a couple of balls through the middle.

As everyone else has said it was a very frustrating day. I was not too happy to see Afobe starting what could have been a pretty big game for us, I have nothing against him, its just hes only been here a week and a half and the way we ask our striker to play is pretty demanding and i thought that lead to him having a pretty average first half (although it wasnt without its moments of promise).

The biggest problem i saw was the same as last week, the shape of the team and personel meant the left side was pretty much completely neglected for the whole game. In the first half Henry was raoming everywhere and as a result of this there were numerous times when Hause was iscolated and had to turn back or infield. As bad as henry was after half time it was even worse as with the change of shape Edwards was shunted out there and aside from a few Goldbourne runs we barely used the left at all. I feel that that made it a lot easier for a very organised Charlton side to defend.

Having said that it was great to see Golbourne back and i have to say that Charlton really worked hard, i know we didnt really look like we were ever going to break them down , but they were well worth their point and fair play to them.

Garbage game of football.

Wolves often more dominant on the ball but no more threatening than their opponents.

Not sure what the bigger problem is, the lack or invention or ambition.

Charlton were set up to be pretty steady first and foremost but the best idea Wolves had to break them down was just sticking balls down the channels and hoping someone beat their man for pace. That's just nonsense percentage stuff. There were several times in the last 15 minutes where Wolves had the ball on the final 3 with Charlton throwing everyone behind the ball yet there were 6 Wolves players within 10 yards of the half way line. How can they expect to break down 2 banks of 4 if they're only willing to commit half the number of men to the cause? I'd assumed the Doherty change was to add more impetus going forwards but he sat far deeper than Iorfa had been doing.

There is still desperate little interplay and link up within this Wolves team for me. They'll keep the ball tidy enough in the middle 3rd but it never seems to go anywhere other than a ball into the channels from there. Thought the best 2 moves of the game came from Charlton late on, good bits of pass and move to get between the Wolves' lines and find themselves pockets of space where they could cause problems. No-one in a Wolves shirt replicated such all afternoon.

Not really any stand out performances for me, though I thought Hause had a really bad 45 minutes. Almost Elokobi-esque at times on the ball, must have ended more Wolves attacks than Charlton with really poor use of the ball, never a full back on that performance.

Also, can't agree on the VLP praise, he carries the ball well but looks completely devoid of any thought whatsoever. Never seems to have any idea what he wants to do with the ball or where he wants to go, just runs with it and throws in some tricks for lolz.

I'm not a VLP fan at the moment. His end product is dire. Given that our left side was an attacking black hole in the first half the emphasis was on him to produce - he can't cross or shoot. Poor.

Garbage game of football.

Wolves often more dominant on the ball but no more threatening than their opponents.

Not sure what the bigger problem is, the lack or invention or ambition.

Charlton were set up to be pretty steady first and foremost but the best idea Wolves had to break them down was just sticking balls down the channels and hoping someone beat their man for pace. That's just nonsense percentage stuff. There were several times in the last 15 minutes where Wolves had the ball on the final 3 with Charlton throwing everyone behind the ball yet there were 6 Wolves players within 10 yards of the half way line. How can they expect to break down 2 banks of 4 if they're only willing to commit half the number of men to the cause? I'd assumed the Doherty change was to add more impetus going forwards but he sat far deeper than Iorfa had been doing.

There is still desperate little interplay and link up within this Wolves team for me. They'll keep the ball tidy enough in the middle 3rd but it never seems to go anywhere other than a ball into the channels from there. Thought the best 2 moves of the game came from Charlton late on, good bits of pass and move to get between the Wolves' lines and find themselves pockets of space where they could cause problems. No-one in a Wolves shirt replicated such all afternoon.

Not really any stand out performances for me, though I thought Hause had a really bad 45 minutes. Almost Elokobi-esque at times on the ball, must have ended more Wolves attacks than Charlton with really poor use of the ball, never a full back on that performance.

Also, can't agree on the VLP praise, he carries the ball well but looks completely devoid of any thought whatsoever. Never seems to have any idea what he wants to do with the ball or where he wants to go, just runs with it and throws in some tricks for lolz.
I agree with all of that

I'm not a VLP fan at the moment. His end product is dire. Given that our left side was an attacking black hole in the first half the emphasis was on him to produce - he can't cross or shoot. Poor.

Agree and have been saying it for a while but no ones having any of it and getting blinded by step overs and pointless flicks. Although we have got nothing else as Henry isn't good enough, Sako's in Africa and Jacobs can't get a look in which is also annoying me. If we aren't going to use him (and if he can't get a go in today's circumstances) then we may as well sell him, rather than allow his career to stagnate.

If the rumours of Linegaard are true he'll be another option on the flanks for the Notlob game.

I have been out all day, and while slightly disappointed that Wolves did not win, at least we kept another clean sheet. From what I can gather it was not a great game, but sometimes sides can frustrate you when they set up not to lose.

I have been out all day, and while slightly disappointed that Wolves did not win, at least we kept another clean sheet. From what I can gather it was not a great game, but sometimes sides can frustrate you when they set up not to lose.

Not an unreasonable comment Frank, but it was our inability to unlock them the is the main cause of frustration

Not an unreasonable comment Frank, but it was our inability to unlock them the is the main cause of frustration

My biggest concern is its been an issue at home all season. Only the Middlesbrough game to my memory I can think of that we were convincing at home and created chances.

Is KJ in the market for a CM? You'd think so given the fact he signed Saville and Rowe, both of whom are unavailable so he surely must still be looking for the answer?

That's harsh on Rajiv. He often has a first time pass (often a flick round a corner) that he has clearly identified before the ball has come to him. His decision making is poor but he's the only player we have right now who makes opponents commit. And yes, his crossing is nowhere near good enough, he needs to put more effort into it. He's by far the finished article but he was our best player today.

We need one of our deeper midfielders to be more ambitious, but we also need edwards to do far more for the team when we are in possession. He makes runs in behind but he never found space between their back four and midfield once, which we desperately need as our play through the centre of the pitch is poor. Brentford are great at this, their midfield three rotate and work as a unit whereas our midfielders are often very far apart and do not pass and move.

We do need to move away from Edwards. His apologists should sit and watch that game and tell us what he, as an exclusively attacking midfielder, contributed today..

As I said last week and a couple have mentioned above we are not brave enough when on top, we really do not need Kmac and Price sitting deep against teams like Charlton and Blackpool (although I understand the nervousness after Novembers debarcles) and for me the worst culprit is VLP, didn't see todays game but against Fulham and Blackpool he more often than not looked to go backwards or come inside, turning into loads of traffic when he could have just gone past his defender, he has pace to burn but seems less than confident taking players on the outside.

I agree, he has played quite well this season and has contributed well in the previous three games but he is also detrimental to our play. For us to improve as our team I think that is the most important position that needs looking at. We don't create anywhere near enough.

What about the goal against Watford and the first one against Blackpool ? Both big decisive assists from VLP ?

His end product isn't good enough yet, I don't think he lacks the ability I think he just needs to concentrate on it more and work on it more regularly behind the scenes.

What about the goal against Watford and the first one against Blackpool ? Both big decisive assists from VLP ?
Watford was a good cross, Blackpool deflected. His number of quality balls into the box versus the positions he gets into is not acceptable.

I think this pace up top thing is a bit of a double edged sword.

When there's space behind it's very effective but I fear it becomes too easy for them then. Thus when you get a game like today where the opponents shut down that space in behind Wolves are easily subdued, they have no alternative.

When VLP gets its right its very good - the cross for the first goal of the season v Norwich was a perfect one - just doesn't do it often enough for the opportunities he has

Back