• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0 - Charlton 0 The most frustrating verdict thread

The last 2-3 games he has had possession in good areas with space to run into but mostly chosen not to and as other have said his crossing just ain't good enough atm. He is getting loads of game time and possession at the moment but not utilizing it any where near enough imo

That was dull beyond belief. It was almost like an end of season procession with both teams having nothing to play for.

The two wide players were poor today in my opinion. Van La Parra is very frustrating - yes, we know you can do tricks, but please can you just deliver a cross? Henry was rightly taken off at half time and I think he needs to buck his ideas up. I think we've outgrown him as a player and need to move him on to be honest.

On the other hand it was nice to see Golbourne back. Subbing Iorfa off was pretty baffling at the end. I didn't notice any improvement going forwards when Doherty was on the pitch.

Garbage game of football.

Wolves often more dominant on the ball but no more threatening than their opponents.

Not sure what the bigger problem is, the lack or invention or ambition.

Charlton were set up to be pretty steady first and foremost but the best idea Wolves had to break them down was just sticking balls down the channels and hoping someone beat their man for pace. That's just nonsense percentage stuff. There were several times in the last 15 minutes where Wolves had the ball on the final 3 with Charlton throwing everyone behind the ball yet there were 6 Wolves players within 10 yards of the half way line. How can they expect to break down 2 banks of 4 if they're only willing to commit half the number of men to the cause? I'd assumed the Doherty change was to add more impetus going forwards but he sat far deeper than Iorfa had been doing.

There is still desperate little interplay and link up within this Wolves team for me. They'll keep the ball tidy enough in the middle 3rd but it never seems to go anywhere other than a ball into the channels from there. Thought the best 2 moves of the game came from Charlton late on, good bits of pass and move to get between the Wolves' lines and find themselves pockets of space where they could cause problems. No-one in a Wolves shirt replicated such all afternoon.

Not really any stand out performances for me, though I thought Hause had a really bad 45 minutes. Almost Elokobi-esque at times on the ball, must have ended more Wolves attacks than Charlton with really poor use of the ball, never a full back on that performance.

Also, can't agree on the VLP praise, he carries the ball well but looks completely devoid of any thought whatsoever. Never seems to have any idea what he wants to do with the ball or where he wants to go, just runs with it and throws in some tricks for lolz.

Agree with all of this except the VLP part....He was out best player today and the only outlet we had...so its such a pity that he cant fucking cross a ball and/or decides to read the paper, have a cup of tea and take a shit before he gets the ball in to the box.
The utter lack of pace was very frustrating to watch.
Hause was showed up big time as a player out of position in the first half, this was not helped by Mcdonald playing stupid balls to him on occasions.

Also, not knowing any season ticket holders (and not wanting to beg on a forum) i had to shell out £30+ for this shit today but fuck me, how hard is it to read a letter and a number to find your seat?...i was up and down like a prossies knickers with folks getting the wrong row/number.....how the fuck some of these folks manage to get dressed in a morning staggers me.

I think this pace up top thing is a bit of a double edged sword.

When there's space behind it's very effective but I fear it becomes too easy for them then. Thus when you get a game like today where the opponents shut down that space in behind Wolves are easily subdued, they have no alternative.

Sako is obviously our best creative player for games like this, we clearly missed him and it would also give us more balance, and stretch the opposition if we have two good attacking wide players. Henry has been poor both times I've seen him recently unfortunately

So we're pretty sure that it's Lingard coming in, right?

Sako is obviously our best creative player for games like this, we clearly missed him and it would also give us more balance, and stretch the opposition if we have two good attacking wide players. Henry has been poor both times I've seen him recently unfortunately
I think he'll bring more end product when he returns, and as you say his presence plus the balance he brings should open things up for others but I see him being a huge transformation to the team as a whole. The lack of interplay and link up between players, McDonald and Price aside, was quite alarming today. Pass and move still seems alien to this group for the most part, it's more pass and relax, they seem to pass responsibility as much as pass the ball and hope they can rely on the pace up top to do the business.

Also, not knowing any season ticket holders (and not wanting to beg on a forum) i had to shell out £30+ for this shit today

I doubt any one here would have seen it as begging - always worth asking the question & see what response comes back. Have found most on here to be as helpful as they can be to assist other fans & have tried to reciprocate when possible

I think he'll bring more end product when he returns, and as you say his presence plus the balance he brings should open things up for others but I see him being a huge transformation to the team as a whole. The lack of interplay and link up between players, McDonald and Price aside, was quite alarming today. Pass and move still seems alien to this group for the most part, it's more pass and relax, they seem to pass responsibility as much as pass the ball and hope they can rely on the pace up top to do the business.

I think they definitely need to take a bit more responsibility. Have Golbourne and Sako down the left and our team improves considerably, I just think a quality 'number ten' would bring it all together as we have some very capable footballers in this squad, and they are young but they need to show more belief and take more risks.

I think we have all identified the no 10 role as key now (assuming we intend to continue playing this formation) - hopefully KJ has as well, has sourced the player he wants & the 2Ms find the resources to bring it about.

Though in addition we can't afford to have the 2 sitting that defensively all the time - some games we will need to, but not always

Maybe Evans would be better in games like these, he's more likely to get forward and can shoot reasonably well from distance (he has a go occasionally at least). That's also something this team lack, you wouldn't back anyone in our starting 11 to score from 20+ yards today which sometimes you need when you can't break a team down - perhaps another reason Jacobs should have been used.

It's got to be a tactical decision though. They don't even try to get forward. One of them just needs to carry the ball forward or stand 20 yards up the pitch to give an option and work angles further forward. We don't do this so our only option is to go sideways and round rather than through. A decent number 10 who can receive the ball in tight spaces or at least make himself an option rather than just running into channels would make the difference. But we also need to stop being so conservative in the middle.

But decisive in both games. He gives us that optionality which others haven't. So it's all well you being a genius with hindsight.

Not seeking to be a genius and I have never particularly rated him. Not sure what your point is here.

It's got to be a tactical decision though. They don't even try to get forward. One of them just needs to carry the ball forward or stand 20 yards up the pitch to give an option and work angles further forward. We don't do this so our only option is to go sideways and round rather than through. A decent number 10 who can receive the ball in tight spaces or at least make himself an option rather than just running into channels would make the difference. But we also need to stop being so conservative in the middle.
Was a massive difference in that respect against Derby, their midfield 3 had a much better stagger from defence to attack to give varied options. The way they supported the forward was much better too, meant he could stay more central and receive the ball into feet too rather than constantly running the channels.

We offered nothing down the left, van la Parra was shit yet Edwards is singled out as the weak link. I'm no Edwards apologist by a long shot and I'd be jizzing in my pants if we could pop a technically gifted AM in there tomorrow, I just don't understand how he gets singled out as the scapegoat (for want of a better word) when we have a shocker. Yes he offers the square root of fuck all in games like this, as well as more open games, but going on what I've read neither did anybody else.

When he plays well or scores an important goal, he gets praised. When he does fuck all, he gets criticism. We live in a crazy world.

We offered nothing down the left, van la Parra was shit yet Edwards is singled out as the weak link. I'm no Edwards apologist by a long shot and I'd be jizzing in my pants if we could pop a technically gifted AM in there tomorrow, I just don't understand how he gets singled out as the scapegoat (for want of a better word) when we have a shocker. Yes he offers the square root of fuck all in games like this, as well as more open games, but going on what I've read neither did anybody else.

I think ower flanks all afternoon was powderpuff. Henry, VLP and Edwards when he reverted there. For me to ask Edwards to run the flank for a further 20 minutes after doing the donkey work behind the striker for the previous 70 was a little naive on Jacketts part.

Indeed, a purely tactical decision from KJ. I have seen this a few times this season, this insistence on getting the ball wide as soon as possible is archaic and easy to defend. It's different to what we were doing last season where we had a creative 10. For some reason this season we don't want to play like that and it negates our effectiveness and nullifies McDonakd too.

We have all clamoured for a #10 but KJ clearly doesn't want one. I think that's a mistake and strikes me as a manager who is limited to this level. However, he has achieved 7th place playing that way this season.

Indeed, a purely tactical decision from KJ. I have seen this a few times this season, this insistence on getting the ball wide as soon as possible is archaic and easy to defend. It's different to what we were doing last season where we had a creative 10. For some reason this season we don't want to play like that and it negates our effectiveness and nullifies McDonakd too.

We have all clamoured for a #10 but KJ clearly doesn't want one. I think that's a mistake and strikes me as a manager who is limited to this level. However, he has achieved 7th place playing that way this season.

Unless he plays Lingard there.

Agree over our reliance on wide play, it makes us predictable and we have to rely on set pieces or individual quality.

Back