• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0 Ipswich 0 - verdict thread

Just got back and to be fair Ipswich did a job on us. They looked stronger than us and won nearly every second ball. Defensively I thought we dealt with Ipswich comfortably enough but rarely created anything ourselves. Ikeme worries me at times. He had hardly anything to do but did not look convincing when attempting to catch the ball. Iorfa looked our best player, but despite a somewhat disjointed performance at least we didn't lose. We will get better in time, but it will not happen overnight.

Well that was exactly the type of game you expect against a team managed by Mick, such a scrappy game and ones that you will get in this league. Overall it's a good start, i will take 5 points from 3 games with players still getting fit and more new signings to come things can only get better imo.

Ikeme - Didn't have a save to make really apart from a few routine catches but looked dodgy coming for crosses or throw ins and nearly cost us the game when he dropped a ball that was pumped into the box.

Iorfa - Solid as usual, didn't really get forward like we know he's capable of but a decent game.

Batth - Rescued Ikeme at the end with a good clearance but he doesn't win enough in the air for me defensively. Looks more solid than he did last year though.

Hause - Had a good game i thought, good in the air and strong. Well positioned a lot in the first half to clear from dangerous balls in to the box.

Doherty - Nearly scored again after a good move. Didn't defend great when 1 on 1 and his passing was sloppy at best but did defend the box well.

Evans - Best of the 3 in midfield but that wasn't hard and that was because he did good work off the ball in the first half and won his fair share in the air. Didn't move the ball well enough though and i think would benefit with having Price play with him as having few options led to him forcing it too often. Will be the next scapegoat if he plays and we don't win though even if others are far worse.

Edwards - Offered absolutely nothing at all, didn't do anything off the ball and was typically poor on it. Rightly taken off at half time.

Coady - Couple of excellent first touches but that's about it, much like Edwards you expect his best work to be off the ball but it wasn't.

Mason - Again he shows excellent movement from the right but he just doesn't have the quality needed, had a great chance to do something from a Coady pass early on but wasted it.

Teixeira - Kicked every time he got it by someone in an Ipswich shirt and struggled to make an impact. Had a good effort in the second half but tired again. Promising first couple of weeks and as he gets fitter and we improve will be a class act in this division.

Bodvarsson - Looked tired and from what Zenga has said he would probably have been one of the players who wouldn't have played if it was a 3pm kick off. Did well to win the penalty and it actually wasn't that badly taken but a decent save. Wasted a lot of the ball when he got it which just looked like tiredness.

SUBS

Saville - Did better than Edwards but didn't really have an impact, couple of good things followed by a couple of poor touches.

Costa - Looked lively when he got in to the game and had an excellent volleyed effort saved. Another that will have an impact when he's fit and we improve.

Wallace - Not enough time to have any impact on the game.

Another point on the board in a game we could quite easily have lost so we will take that. Still looking forward to Saturday when are players will be that little bit fitter and we might see the debut of the Prince.

Last edited:
Not an exciting game, but a good tactical battle. For the Championship purist this must have been heaven, more muck and bullets than Franks WW1 thread.

Ipswich came to nullify, kick, harass and win set pieces. They were pretty bad but somehow came away with a point. At times it was attritional stuff not helped by a shockingly poor referee who seemed to think Wolves players weren't allowed to touch Ipswick players but was happy to allow Tex, Costa and Bod to be kicked to ribbons, he also hesitated over the pen which was as blatant as you like. He was truly piss poor.

Whilst Ipswich were busy carving our front three to ribbons Dangerous Dave fancied the night off and whilst he ran around trying to press to no avail he looked perplexed when somebody gave him the ball to play with, like a 3 year old with a Rubik's cube he couldn't quite master what it was and promptly gave it back from whence it came.

Poor Bod looked shattered from the off and his touch was laboured but he was still effective promptly shown by his rounding of the entire Ipswich defence in a five minute period, it looked like he was on One Man and His a Dog at one point as the defenders flocked around him.

Our first half formation flat out didn't work (4-3-3) and with passenger Dave and hard working but ineffective Coady it needed a change. II think I have seen Lee Evans weakness - he can only play in one direction, first half everything was backwards, the second half he was a completely different player and everything went forwards, a 4 first half and 8 second half, maybe Walter threatened him at half time with a ban on hair products, who knows, but it did the trick and he was excellent second half.

Tex was a mixed bag, fantastically skilful and far to quick for the traditional championship players Ipswich had but frustrating lax in his execution at times culminating in a right bollocking from Saville. Speaking of the facially flawed midfielder, he made a real difference on the left, a strange forward position in the second half's formation of 4-2-3-1 but it worked as he allowed MoTM Doherty (please don't faint) room to go outside and inside with lung bursting runs (hopefully you're still believing this) and almost twice through on goal.

Doherty was mixed in defence but he got his body on the line to stop crosses and controlled Hause when needed to. Apart from one hospital ball his distribution was decent, quick a and mainly on target. Iorfa had an accomplished night on the other side and got forward to good effect in the main. I still think he looks better at CB and his replacement for tonight Hause was OK but he seems to lack physical strength, ability to think decisively and on tonight's showing, reading of the game. I hope they improve because he is the weak link at the moment. Batth was a mixed bag, brutal in the air for the most part but some of his directional heading was downright bizarre, his much maligned distribution was excellent tonight, popping in Chanel balls with good weight and at one point hitting a 50yd cross field pass to Dogerty's feet, glorious stuff.

Mason doesn't really get a mention as he was anonymous out wide, anonymous in attack and I really don't see how he fits in this team.

Costa was a true box of tricks, an outrageous piece of skill where he flicked the ball at full pace around his man and left the defender for dead, only then to lose the ball doing a bit too much. Looks to have pace to burn but the end product isn't there yet, when he's fully fit and up to speed I think he'll be a nightmare for defenders. Not so good when central after Jed Wallace came on but by that point Ipswich were in full defensive mode.

Credit to Ipswich they had no intention of playing much football and their job was to get a point, they did this but we're fortunate as Wolves created all the best chances and a particularly good save from Evans (I think) towards the end preserved their point. I didn't see their disallowed goal clearly enough but there was more pulling in the box than desperate, grab a granny hour in Chicago's.

We huffed and puffed and looked a little bit one dimensional as we kept possession but did nothing with it apart from hump it to Bod. Strangely Bod went wide a lot and this was a tactic which really didn't work and when he went off Wolves were forced to move the ball quicker and on the deck, however Wolves were effectively down to 10 men when Bod went off as Mason was so abject.

I enjoyed the game but then I'm masochistic like that. Overall a 6/10 performance and one that should've been 3 points not 1.

I did have one particular gripe - my sodding radiator in my car sprang a leak so I missed the entire pre-match build up in the pub. Bloody thing.

A completely different game to Saturday in terms of performance and atmosphere. It felt like the past few weeks had been a dream and Jacket was back.

A timely display though from the Jacketeers of just how inadequate they are for a team with aspirations of finishing there or thereabouts. 2 decent performers on Saturday in Coady and Saville were changed with the former moved from right back to midfield and the latter dropped to the bench. Edwards was terrible, times when Tex laid the ball off nicely only for the move to breakdown as it wasEdwards.

Ikeme turned into a nervous wreck near the end with Ipswich's spoiling tactics of impeding his goal kicks working, we very nearly conceded. I would still like to see us go back in for Emi who for me is a far superior keeper.

Could have been different had Bod converted the penalty but then maybe we were lucky a few minutes later that their goal was disallowed (couldn't tell from the North Bank end).

I hang on to the hope that most of these mediocre losers won't be in our team for much longer.

I had a good view of the disallowed goal, and I thought we possibly got away with that one.

Overall we did struggle against a physical Ipswich team, but I think as we strengthen we are going to have to get used to that. Teams will come to Molineux to nullify us.

It's a typical MM team away from home: ten men behind the ball and attempt a smash and grab. For all the good times and sexy football we sometimes played in our title winning season, I don't miss that style one bit.

Back to it: a good draw and a clean sheet which will give us a lot of confidence. Zenga has made a pretty good start I think and his bellowing at our players last night suggests he has, at the very least, a rough idea what he's doing tactically. Promising signs. I think we're in for a very interesting two weeks transfer wise!

The team looked tired tbh, Dadi didnt have the pace he had against Reading & Tex was trying to do it all himself at times.

Mason went missing for most of the game, Costa made an impact but as a team we couldnt get going so ill take a point, i thought we defended well tho especially from there super long throws.

The team looked tired tbh, Dadi didnt have the pace he had against Reading & Tex was trying to do it all himself at times.

Mason went missing for most of the game, Costa made an impact but as a team we couldnt get going so ill take a point, i thought we defended well tho especially from there super long throws.

Agree with that also that penalty miss really deflated the lads mentally we just couldn't get going again after that.

Back