• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0 Ipswich 0 - verdict thread

Langers

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Off you go, folks.

How did Costa look? Did we have any creativity with Tex and Bod seemingly nullified?

5 points from 3 games isn't too bad a start. 3 points on Saturday with Prince in the side and that'd be a very good start.

Classic Wolves vs Ipswich. Sounded like a snoozefest.

I guess a fair result. We missed a penalty but they had what looked like was probably a good goal chalked off.

Ipswich sounded organised & difficult to get past - much like most McCarthy teams - not pretty, but effective

Been told that Texeira was our creative player & dealt with him accordingly

Not enough midfield guile to unlock them, but with an Edwards/Coady/Evans mix thats not surprising - the area that needs the most upgrade (Coady sounded the most prominent of that 3) though with Prince in it looks as if that is being addressed.

An introduction to Walter for the difficulties of the Championship

As organised as Ipswich were, they weren't threatening. They had a game plan, which was to stop us playing ours.

Just goes to show the importance of not relying on just the one player (Teixeira) for creativity from midfield - it's still too easy to shut down. When Dicko comes back, with his pace, that'll help a lot when playing this kind of team again.

I guess you put Dicko, Prince and Graham into that team and we win those kind of games

Learning curve for Walter and key positions are being addressed. Looking forward to seeing all the new signings playing together. Job in progress and plenty to do, but least we are doing something about the weaknesses in our squad.

Ipswich seemed to nullify us well - midfield still not creative enough to break through them, though that appears to be being addressed.

Pace up front hopefully coming back with Dicko shortly though no need to panic & rush him back before he is really ready.

3 games in & unbeaten so not too bad a start at all

Main thing I take from this is that the old squad aren't capable of breaking this kind of side down. With key players to return from injury and a few new signings I don't think it will be a long term problem.

Think Tex might have a few bruises from that one.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I guess you put Dicko, Prince and Graham into that team and we win those kind of games

True, and these are players we already have at the club. Seems that Bod, Tex and Costa all look like improvements to last season's squad so I'm excited about who else will come in.

Welcome change to McGoldrick scoring braces on us. I'll take a point from a Mick team any day.

Rome wasn't built in a day and we have had a decent enough start to the season.

Typical Macarthy 'result', no doubt he'll be commenting on how his players 'put a shift in', meanwhile we have Texiara they have a Rory DeLap throw in.

To be fair MM resources are limited so you can't blame him for playing the way he does, if we have any ambition of doing anything we have to break down well organised sides.

Complete contrast to Reading game. Reading sat back and allowed us to play and made every player look good. Ippswich got at us, worked hard and were direct. As a result not one Wolves player looked as good as Saturday. I’m struggling to name a MOTM - Coady and Batth the pick of an average bunch.

It just shows how devoid of quality we are whilst we have to persevere with shite like Edwards and Coady. These players have nowhere to hide now and their limitations are hideously exposed.

With each passing replacement we'll look that bit stronger. On another day we'd have Dicko, Costa and Teixeira all being sources of creativity and teams won't have the luxury of focussing on kicking a player off the pitch.

All in all I'm pleased with a point in the context of no pre-season and 5 points from our opening 9.

Sometimes a goalless game can be surprisingly entertaining. This was not one of those occasions.
Ipswich were well organised, hard working and physically stronger than us allowing them to pretty much nullify our ball players. On the other hand they're attack was poor given the amount of possession won in midfield. I don't think we won a 2nd ball all night and couldn't build any sustained attacking impetus. Or if you like this was us from a few years ago.
Maybe Prince might have helped us win more midfield battles as Edwards was anonymous, Evans not much better, Tex flattened as soon as he got the ball. Bodvarsson looked knackered from the off and Mason too lightweight on his own. On the plus side the defence generally coped ok with a lot of crosses into the box, though I felt Doherty had a poor game.
Overall can't argue the result was about right.
Finally a mention for a fantastic piece of skill from Costa and that incredible throw in Ipswich use. Wonder if Pulis knows this guy exists?

Was it just the 3 balls into the box that Ikeme fannied about with tonight!
Also, im sure he has every intention of releasing the ball quickly but the hand/eye/brain coordination
is sadly lacking.

Was it just the 3 balls into the box that Ikeme fannied about with tonight!
Also, im sure he has every intention of releasing the ball quickly but the hand/eye/brain coordination
is sadly lacking.

He deliberately runs into the player so he doesn't have to do it surely. Just throw it over their head you moron

I'll take a point against Mick any day.

Back