• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-0 Aston Villa: Verdict Thread

Exactly what was needed after last week. Never going to be an easy game but thought Lopetegui got it right in terms of not letting Villa have space in behind and that nullified almost all their threat.

Back 4 couldn’t be as bad as last week and apart from the odd mistake they were pretty solid but those mistakes are costly most of the time at this level. Sa bailed them out with the save from Buendia and Watkins should score. Massive foul on Dawson in the Mings chance that the referee definitely acknowledged but not sure whether he would have given it as he got pretty much everything wrong.

Not sure how Matheus performance has gone under the radar apart from Lycan really. Outstanding on that aide and kept Villa’s threat recently in Moreno very quiet. Also some excellent play on the ball and without Diego Carlos having size 12s he finishes off a move that he was the architect of. I’m bias but i think he’s class and has been harshly judged this season.

Neves and Lemina covered some ground too and seemed to always be in the way when Villa went central. Whatever happens in the summer our midfield will have some great options.

Neto is getting there, definitely got his pace back. Young is still pretty quick despite his age, can’t remember who but was surprised he was quicker than another winger a few weeks back so wouldn’t read into him keeping up a few times.

We’re much better with Cunha in the team, if he can add goals we’ve got some footballer. He’s not conventional but he’s effective at what he does. Costa brilliant again too, it is a shame he can’t finish now because he’d have 6 or 7 rather than his 1.

I’m still baffled by how Lop’s got it so wrong away but our home form is top class. On that basis i think he’ll get it right away from home next season too and i’m already looking forward to it. Would love it to start next week though, back to back wins at Old Trafford would be something.

Also never a penalty on Matheus, ball deflected up from a short distance and he was in his running stride. The side on view in slow motion makes it look a lot worse than it was. At least Atwell got that right.

Atmosphere needs to be like that every game too, i know it’s Villa so will always be more on it but Molineux needs to be loud and intimidating.

Just finished watching the MOTD highlights. Agree with Slink re the Mings chance, that goes in and he'd rule it out. Clear foul on Dawson.

They didn't show the Watkins header, Johnny and I were both shouting for offside in the build up at the time so that might be why? Hard to tell from our angle. I'd like to see that one back.

Also didn't show the Cunha miss.

Just finished watching the MOTD highlights. Agree with Slink re the Mings chance, that goes in and he'd rule it out. Clear foul on Dawson.

They didn't show the Watkins header, Johnny and I were both shouting for offside in the build up at the time so that might be why? Hard to tell from our angle. I'd like to see that one back.

Also didn't show the Cunha miss.

They are on the extended highlights on our OS.

I was reading VT before the game and the amount that described the game as our (Wolves) 'cup final' was truly astounding from the deluded cunts

They’re the couple out the Harry Enfield sketch “considerably richer than yow” then go mad when someone is richer than them

Neto's issue at the moment seems to be acceleration rather than speed...when.he is moving he still has pace but takes a little longer to get to top speed. Ashley Young is an experienced player who reads situations well...that's worth a bit in a foot race.

They have been managing Neto's game time which suggests they know he isn't quite there but this Neto is a step up on the last post injury Neto and he is a player who I think will be as good or better than Jota was for us.

Been critical of him recently but Sa does really well on the Mings miss, I get he should be scoring that but it's really good keeping that Sa stays upright as long as he does before going into the spread to block had it been at him.

Last edited:
Didn’t make the game Saturday but did manage to get in the Hogs about 15 minutes before FT. Highlight of the day was the Villa coach full of away fans that for some weird reason went down Stafford Street and got stuck at the island right outside the Hogs. Absolute dog’s abuse and seeing grown men cry is rather amusing.

Another excellent home win, and nice to do it against Villa as well.

Nothing spectacular in terms of performance, but another dogged defensive display restricting the opposition to very little in the way of chances. If we can add a goalscorer to this side then Lopetegui can really push us on next season.

That's 4 consecutive home wins, all with clean sheets too. Not quite mathematically safe being 10 points ahead with 3 games to play (those below have a game in hand), it's pretty much done and dusted.

MOTM for me was one of Dawson or Lemina. Both excellent defensively.
seems like a long time ago now. hope gonads can match lops 4 points out of 6 this season?

Back