• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-0 Aston Villa: Verdict Thread

Ridiculously high opinion of their own standing. They're about to finish in the top half of the Premier League for the first time since 2011. Well done, a decent season. Not that it's likely to actually yield anything in itself.

We've done that three times since they last did and we've also been in League One during that timeframe.

Maybe we didn't make a special effort against them and we're just actually quite good at home since we got a proper manager, and maybe we celebrated (which was nothing OTT) because we're not arrogant enough to just shrug away wins at this level?

This was a cracker:
"This is why it's easier for Brighton to make Europe.

Teams will raise their game against us because of our name, it makes it harder."
Classic Villa fan mentality.

"We deserved to lose because we SHOULD have won and couldn't."

I keep reading this over and over again :)

Villa fans singing “mind the gap it’s getting bigger every day” after the game where the gap actually got 3 points smaller was quite amusing actually!

didn't Kilman also score with a header from that cross ?

Wouldn't have gone in if the whistle didn't go. Id imagine if that header from Toti didn't go in we'd have had a pen anyway as Dawson was dragged down again.

Wouldn't have gone in if the whistle didn't go. Id imagine if that header from Toti didn't go in we'd have had a pen anyway as Dawson was dragged down again.
I half missed the goal as I was shouting for a penalty. The Nunes handball is definitely in the seen them given camp, he moves his arm to try and stop the ball from hitting it, which makes it look worse. We'd be livid on here if we didn't get it, although I don't think it is

Last edited:
It's hard to see why that's not been given.

Things evening themselves up I guess (i hate that by the way because two wrongs don't make a right).

I thought it was his forearm tbh, it was close to his body but I'd have been screaming for it. I think between that, and the 3 minutes injury time (which was well received but nonsense) we did OK out of atwell. He was wank, and blew up far too often, but he was probably better for us than them.

Huge win, we needed that. Performance was OK - again struggled to create much of note, only really the Costa chance and that Neto cross from open play, but there was a pleasing intensity to it, and the pressing seemed well structured, with sensible decision making on when to push and when to stay. Nobody played badly, Lemina and Dawson were very good.

I think we could've played a bit more football, especially in the last half an hour, but it worked and we saw the game out.

Neto showed flashes, concern he's lost a bit of acceleration. Nunes wasn't in his most exciting form but was OK and tracked back well. Still lacking a bit of creativity, but that's not going to change until the Summer, and as well as Toti is playing I'm not convinced he's the answer, particularly given Semedo's shortcomings on the other side.

Attwell was dreadful for both sides, which is par for the course. He simply isn’t good enough.

Up until the point he penalised Neto when he got clear down the left Atwell gave Villa a free kick every time a Villa player went to ground in a challenge. It was a succession of really soft fouls. As soon as he got a load of abuse for the Neto decision he just stopped giving them the soft fouls and even let one or two that looked fouls go. The 3 minutes added time was welcome but a complete farce. All very strange but I have no doubt he changed his approach after the abuse.

Neto showed flashes, concern he's lost a bit of acceleration.
He's physically fit now, you could tell that from the way he ratted around to win a throw in with about 10 left. You are correct though when he goes to put the after burners on to beat a man they aren't there. I hope he goes into the Summer fit and has a full pre season and hopefully that comes back, be a damn shame if it doesn't as that directness was his biggest asset.

Back