• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-0 Aston Villa: Verdict Thread

The Bear

Euro 2012 PTG Champion
Staff member
Reaction score

Another excellent home win, and nice to do it against Villa as well.

Nothing spectacular in terms of performance, but another dogged defensive display restricting the opposition to very little in the way of chances. If we can add a goalscorer to this side then Lopetegui can really push us on next season.

That's 4 consecutive home wins, all with clean sheets too. Not quite mathematically safe being 10 points ahead with 3 games to play (those below have a game in hand), it's pretty much done and dusted.

MOTM for me was one of Dawson or Lemina. Both excellent defensively.

Last edited:
Just need one of Everton, Forest or Leicester to lose now and we're mathematically safe I believe?

Scenes.

How much did that mean to Julen? Love his reaction at the whistle.

The exact opposite of last week; yes, it was a grind, but when we’ve needed to grind this season we’ve always slipped at least once. Sure, Villa let us off the hook once or twice, but that was as defensively sound a performance as we’ve put in for a long while, especially as we conceded the lion’s share of possession to Villa after the goal.

Fair play to the lads, lots to be proud of today.

MOTM is Super Mario Lemina. He’s dropped all the flashy shenanigans and useless tricks and is thriving as a #6.

If Everton or Forest don’t win Monday it’s officially all over GTFI

Great result after the shambles of last week & it slows the Unai Emery momentum

Just need one of Everton, Forest or Leicester to lose now and we're mathematically safe I believe?

Scenes.
We will be pregnant, in JL's words

-edit- more or less knocks Villa out of Europa contention as well

Excellent performance from so many.

Toti has really impressed me, i just didn't think he had it in him to be such a good player for us, and what a goal.

Lemina MOTM, but Cunha, Costa, Nunes and Dawson all excellent in their own different ways.

Semedo was infinitely better than last week too, those 2 headers he won at the end right after getting booked at the other end of the pitch were quite out of character for him!

Oh and a big shout out for Sa, he's taken loads of abuse this week, but that was a faultless performance, with a tremendous first half save too, (although i'm sure Dan will find something to moan about :) )

Great win! Lemina MOM for me but was a lot a players who showed guts today and also some skills..

Scenes.
Yeah, from now all three teams need to take maximum points to overtake us, and West Ham need to take at least 7 points from 4 games at the same time. Any dropped points at all from any one of Everton, Forest or Leicester and it's mathematically done. Leeds and Southampton can't catch us.

Surely no-one can doubt now.

Thought both Nunes and Neto played well. Both help out defensively which helps the fullbacks out too. Works well with them on left/right

Thirty points for Julen since Christmas too. Just class.
Backed with a lot of money and signings but agree with you, he has put the group together again like Nuno did and also some tactical things..players seem to have more fun on and off the pitch which is just as important to perform

Excellent comeback from last week. Only 1 team needs to lose now for us to be mathematical safe. Fair play to all of them for digging in and getting the result, particularly against the Vile.
Have a good weekend folks!

Thought Villa were quite inventive with their set pieces. Would be nice to see ourselves try some of that

Backed with a lot of money and signings but agree with you, he has put the group together again like Nuno did and also some tactical things..players seem to have more fun on and off the pitch which is just as important to perform

Obvioiusly we've got the option to come on Cunha but our biggest spend was £15m on Gomes. Sarabia was £4.4m, Dawson £3m, Lemina £9m.

Peanuts for safety.

Back