• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-1 Aston Villa: Verdict Thread

The Bear

Euro 2012 PTG Champion
Staff member
Reaction score

A decent point considering Villa are 5th in the table. But also a chance missed as they looked there for the taking today after playing in Europe a few days ago.

We had enough good play to win the game before the sending off, but poor possession and decisions limited our effectiveness in the final third. Neto should have at least made Martinez make a save near the end, but that aside we didn't really create too much clear cut unfortunately.

Annoying that we were hanging on at the end too when we should have been the team trying to go and win it. It was a stupid shirt pull from Lemina when you know you're already on a yellow. Bringing Silva on doesn't help either, felt like we were down to 9 men.

A reasonable performance, but could have been better. At least we seem to have put the second half dreadful performances behind us at last. Although saying that, that's 13 out our 14 goals conceded all coming in the second halves.

Last edited:
A valuable point, but not sure if it’s a good point.

Lemina’s card accumulation relative to his actual tackling is… weird.

A decent result and 4 points from City and Villa is a good return with some 'easier' games on the horizon. Pretty chuffed that we had minimal chances but at least made one count, which wouldn't have happened earlier this year. Instead of bottling at 1-1 we chucked two strikers on which wouldn't have happened in August.

There seems to be a bit more fight now and the silly brain farts are becoming minimal (three at the back probably helps). But the last two games are demonstrating a slight upturn in the slide we were on prior to that.

Well that was a weird game. Gutted to not be winning at 90, desperate to hang on to a point at the final whistle. Our goal lived a charmed life at the end there.

Great game to watch and impressed with us considering where we were a few weeks ago. Moved the ball about with loads of confidence once we settled. The Neto/Hwang partnership firing again. Look defensively solid at last. All good signs for us I think.

Silva's looking more and more peripheral unfortunately, really did nothing but give the ball or fouls away at the end there. Sasa looks to be the better first choice as super sub.

Didn't quite do enough to win, wouldn't have been a crime if we did, probably should have lost at the death.

Gotta be pleased with a point I suppose? Just keep stretching that gap between ourselves and 18th

I'd have taken a point at the start of the season and the start of the day. Should have won though - better team for 70 mins and Lemina is awful for the goal. We'll be fine this season - I've seen enough now.

There's partnerships over the field now too, and a back three suits Ait-Nouri and Semedo a lot more (plus we all know what Doherty can do in a back three). I think having a Lemina/Gomes midfield also allows it to be a bit more dynamic than we saw at times with Neves/Moutinho.

It'll get interesting when injuries and suspensions hit, but like you I think we'll be absolutely fine now. There's more than enough there.

Silva will be gone in the summer. Useless.

Today's goal takes Hwang to 4 out of the last 5 league games. Playing really well at the minute and turned himself around after last season.
The early games all he was doing was scoring, now his all round game is superb too, as i said in the match thread it was impossible to believe this Hwang was possible when Fabio and Podence were laughing at him at Anfield.

Speaking of which i don't usually give Fabio much stick, but he was an enormous hindrance to us today, he didn't retain the ball once (that i remember) and gave away 3 or 4 free kicks a couple that really didn't help us. I can handle him not being good enough, but don't be fucking thick, make better decisions!

The early games all he was doing was scoring, now his all round game is superb too, as i said in the match thread it was impossible to believe this Hwang was possible when Fabio and Podence were laughing at him at Anfield.

Speaking of which i don't usually give Fabio much stick, but he was an enormous hindrance to us today, he didn't retain the ball once (that i remember) and gave away 3 or 4 free kicks a couple that really didn't help us. I can handle him not being good enough, but don't be fucking thick, make better decisions!

Yup. He would often have horrendous games but pop up with a goal, but he has come on a long way: I think Lopetegui probably had quite a bit to do with that as well as we saw what a clever presser he was when JL was in charge.

Fabio will be gone in the summer, we'll cash in and use the money to buy probably either a) a more experienced striker or b) another promising young striker in Europe. But he's done here now I think, unless something none of us expect happens.

Today's goal takes Hwang to 4 out of the last 5 league games. Playing really well at the minute and turned himself around after last season.
Playing with confidence which is good.

Back