• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-1 Aston Villa: Verdict Thread

No, but I think like Alan points out the weaknesses have been identified and mitigated for, and often we'd concede due to stupid errors which seem few and far between: which, as I said, could well be the back three. It's only two games but there is a slight upturn, which is better than no upturn at all!
I would go out on a limb and posit that it's almost entirely psychological. At this point, I'd guess that Sá, Kilman, and Dawson as that "center triad" (there's probably an actual tactical word for the GK + CBs that I don't know) don't have a lot of faith in each other making the proper decisions; ergo, it takes a lot less pressure to make them feel exposed.

Adding the 3rd CB, especially an athlete like Toti who can get around if needed, likely raises the confidence floor for everyone, as there's less fear that a single error will lead directly to a goal.

All speculation, but anxiety is a powerful thing, innit.

I would go out on a limb and posit that it's almost entirely psychological. At this point, I'd guess that Sá, Kilman, and Dawson as that "center triad" (there's probably an actual tactical word for the GK + CBs that I don't know) don't have a lot of faith in each other making the proper decisions; ergo, it takes a lot less pressure to make them feel exposed.

Adding the 3rd CB, especially an athlete like Toti who can get around if needed, likely raises the confidence floor for everyone, as there's less fear that a single error will lead directly to a goal.

All speculation, but anxiety is a powerful thing, innit.

To be honest, that extra CB has just stopped Sa and Kilman doing stupid shit to try and be the heroes. And I'm down for that.

Take the point as I would have done at 1pm and given that we didn't play particularly well in what was a pretty poor game. Frustrating to concede such a soft goal right after scoring of course.

Overall we lacked movement off the ball and failed to get Neto into the game anything like enough. Ball retention was poor too and we were properly hanging on at the end. Kudos to Hwang - scoring in five straight home league games is no mean feat, I've got a feeling you're going back to Kenny Miller in 2003 for the last time anyone did for us? Certainly don't think it's been done for us in the Premier League before.

Standard iffy refereeing, we may as well give up on getting a good performance off these losers, they're all rubbish.

Ultimately we'd all have taken 4 points from these 2 home games - we've got a cushion from the relegation zone now and if we beat Bournemouth (who are shit) then we're well clear.

Decent post-match comments from Emery too: said we had good chances and we are a very difficult team to stop in transitions of play. Reckons Villa probably edged it once we went down to ten men and they should have won it.

I've got a feeling you're going back to Kenny Miller in 2003 for the last time anyone did for us? Certainly don't think it's been done for us in the Premier League before.

BBC said John Richards was the last to do it.

Wow, I didn't realize I shared a birthday with one of the royalty!

Also, damn, that feels like a long time to go between dudes doing it.

"I'd take a point' was the general consensus before the game and it proved correct. The red completely changed the game - up until then either team might have nicked it. Lemina's second yellow seemed very soft compared to many things that went before it and just seen Kovecic get away with a blatant second yellow for City. Traore did really well again so hopefully we won't miss Lemina too much.

Everyone of the starting XI did well and Neto stood out again. Doherty ambled about like pre-Nuno Doherty but did make one good block. I couldn't believe Villa didn't get the ball to Bailly more as the one time he ran at him he had him on toast. Silva's first involvement summed him up perfectly - stupid unnecessary foul from behind and when given he flails his arms about like a teenager having a hissy fit. Shortly after he pushed a Villa player over as that was less effort than getting close and either using his shoulder or God forbid making a tackle. I'd have taken him off for Doyle as soon as Lemina went off. It's a shame he isn't close to the level he thinks he is and probably never will be.

Special mention for Sasa - what a ball to Neto. So often we don't play an early ball and he did it to perfection.

For those who are there how was Sasa? Look to be moving ok?

We are also a whole two points and six goals better off than this time last year. So PE Teacher > Bruno Lage, right? :ROFLMAO:

Sa,Dawson(fucking hero and should be captain), Hwang has raised his game..Cunha anonymous again, great cameo from Sasa..Neto best again, thought Traore when he came on, we got more stability in midfield instead of Gomes..another red card..a bit lucky in the end...Kilman must get those passes right..Doc pretty solid when he came on...on to the next..a point at least against a good side

How did the penalty claim on Neto look on tv? Looked a foul from the BW - the kind that if given doesn't get overturned.

I think Traore might be a concern tbh. He's generally done well in spite of this, but he always seems just a fraction of a second behind everything.

Hopefully for nothing but if he clumsily draws a straight red it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Sa,Dawson(fucking hero and should be captain), Hwang has raised his game..Cunha anonymous again, great cameo from Sasa..Neto best again, thought Traore when he came on, we got more stability in midfield instead of Gomes..another red card..a bit lucky in the end...Kilman must get those passes right..Doc pretty solid when he came on...on to the next..a point at least against a good side

I wonder if Cunha's anonymity is down to how he's asked to play? Seems to be the forward who drags defenders out of position/around the shop so Hwang and Pedro can exploit.

I think Traore might be a concern tbh. He's generally done well in spite of this, but he always seems just a fraction of a second behind everything.

Hopefully for nothing but if he clumsily draws a straight red it wouldn't surprise me in the least.
I thought Boubacar played really well. Villa were starting to control the game but when he came on he really turned it in our favour until the red card.

I wonder if Cunha's anonymity is down to how he's asked to play? Seems to be the forward who drags defenders out of position/around the shop so Hwang and Pedro can exploit.
Yeah I thought Cunha was quite good, really. Bit of an odd job for him at the mo but I thought we desperately missed his quality the second he got subbed.

Yeah I thought Cunha was quite good, really. Bit of an odd job for him at the mo but I thought we desperately missed his quality the second he got subbed.

I think he's doing a fairly thankless task at the minute which Silva isn't right for and it remains to be seen whether Sasa is. Hopefully he builds more fitness over the international break.

I thought Boubacar played really well. Villa were starting to control the game but when he came on he really turned it in our favour until the red card.
His gangliness plays tricks on the tele, mayhap! But agree he's done well, just has that "Bambi On Ice" vibe to him that makes me nervous.

Back