• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-1 Aston Villa: Verdict Thread

Three league games unbeaten makes a decent run of form going into yet another international break.
Four points from City and Villa is very acceptable and hopefully gives us something to work with.
According to our friend Jamie O’Hara on Sky, VAR did us a favour in not giving Villa a penalty for a push by Doherty on Watkins towards the end of the game.
Did we gat one back from VAR?

We're putting Hwang in positions that better hide his flaws, accentuate his strengths, and give him smart attacking players (namely Cunha) to link with.

I'm still not totally sold on GO, but, in this case, it's good management.

We're putting Hwang in positions that better hide his flaws, accentuate his strengths, and give him smart attacking players (namely Cunha) to link with.

I'm still not totally sold on GO, but, in this case, it's good management.

The team seems to have a good vibe around it at the moment and that's credit to him, really. Not saying it didn't under Lop, but after the summer we've had it's not bad going at all from O'Neil.

I'd have taken a point before kick off. Could have won it, could have lost it.

An important thing for me is that we aren't scraping results but giving ourselves chances to win

Yeah, I no longer go "this is only going one way" when the other team scores. It feels like since Nuno left we've collapsed within ourselves more often than not whenever the opposition have scored. It's very early days as it has only been two games, but hopefully it continues.

One other thing I've noted for GO that is something of a positive and a negative:

He hasn't fucked around with round pegs in square holes; he could easily have shunted Lemina into the back 5 rather than playing Toti. Toti, being the gangly son of a bitch that he is, doesn't always look convincing but he mostly does the simple things well and never seems to "switch off", and often that's enough.

The downside is that it's clear GO recognizes that CB is our biggest weakness, and so playing with 3 is a case more of making sure all of them have cover at any given time; there's not much in the way of allowing someone like Kilman to step forward to take at least a little bit of the work away from JG and Lemina, who are still being asked to cover an enormous amount of ground as a pair. Having the third CB makes us less susceptible when João and Mario do clear the center of the pitch, but it also means that when we turn them over high up the pitch, we still find ourselves with voids of unexploited danger areas.

It's a pragmatic way to go about things but I think he's picked the correct risk factors to mitigate, at least for now.

The team seems to have a good vibe around it at the moment and that's credit to him, really. Not saying it didn't under Lop, but after the summer we've had it's not bad going at all from O'Neil.
People are easily forgetting how shite we were after Man Utd and up until we beat Man City. We're not a comfortable mid-table side just yet. Take away Hwang's run of scoring form and we'd still be in trouble.

People are easily forgetting how shite we were after Man Utd and up until we beat Man City. We're not a comfortable mid-table side just yet. Take away Hwang's run of scoring form and we'd still be in trouble.
Take goals away from any team and you put them in trouble, that's hardly unique to us.

Hopefully have H Bueno back soon. We are light on F/WBs without him

I think I know what you mean, but why would you take away Hwang’s run of scoring form?
You might as well say that Silva is the answer to our need for a 20 goal a season forward.
I think we can give the players and the manager a bit of credit for the upturn in form in recent games.

No, but I think like Alan points out the weaknesses have been identified and mitigated for, and often we'd concede due to stupid errors which seem few and far between: which, as I said, could well be the back three. It's only two games but there is a slight upturn, which is better than no upturn at all!

Back