• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-1 Aston Villa: Verdict Thread

I was 98% convinced it was a penalty, Al's just tipped me over to about 120%

Stonewaller tbf, it's not a lot of contact but he's just starting his back lift*, running at pace and he's knocked off balance. Thought it was pen in real time and everything I've seen since confirms it. Very lucky

Not something I was aware of at the ground, although I knew there was a VAR check for something. It's only after seeing it on MOTD2 yesterday that I realised how lucky we were. It's a penalty and as I did think at the match the Neto one wasn't. Makes us 2-1 down on the season now

Nah there is barely even a push, though it does off-balance him. Would still be very soft for me due to how little contact there was.

If that's a pen then Neto being shoved over is much more of one. You can't have it both ways.

Neto doesn’t get shoved over though. That collision isn’t a foul anywhere else on the pitch. I didn’t even appeal for it in the ground because it just isn’t a foul.

Doherty’s outstretched hand in the back having no play on the ball is a foul anywhere on the pitch. It would have been soft but it had the desired outcome to stop him scoring in a blatant way. You can get away with leaning on players or gentle nudges when close but a full out stretched arm when no where near is just a foul.

the push on watkins wasn't the only push doherty did sunday. there were at least 2-3 others. one we had a promising break, and the ball was spread wide to the left, and in running on to the ball he pushed whoever the villa player was, i assume in trying to obtain an advantage to receive the ball. the ref gave a foul.
doherty didn't learn, and we got lucky.

It's just stupid from Doc because he gave them the chance to look at it, and we generally fall on the rough side of decisions when it comes to VAR/officials, so the safest thing to do is not give them a choice to make.

I guess sometimes people do things instinctively, but it's not a one off for Doc and it could have cost us.

Other way around, I'd have been screaming for it.

As for the Neto one, that's not a penalty. It's just a coming together and that kind of thing happens over the pitch all the time.

It doesn't, refs have got wise to Cunha, Neto and to a lesser degree Hwang falling over
Well I disagree, there's more contact on Neto than on Watkins, though obviously the latter is more deliberate. Watkins doesn't half make a meal of that too.

They're both penalties IMO.

Well I disagree, there's more contact on Neto than on Watkins, though obviously the latter is more deliberate. Watkins doesn't half make a meal of that too.

They're both penalties IMO.
I don't think he made a meal of it, he was setting himself to shoot and got pushed off balance.

I agree they're both penalties, Neto looks like he too was pushed off balance and the villa player didn't play the ball and was nowhere near it.

But if you don't give the Neto one you can't really give the Doc one either.

Yeah "make a meal of it" is probably strong. I just feel a player in that position, bearing down on goal shouldn't get effected so much by a hand on his back.

I think that gets given as a foul anywhere else on the pitch.
Multiple times in this match alone where players went down like that and the ref waved it away. Followed by lots of arm flapping from whichever player was involved.

The issue is not so much with whether it was/wasn’t a foul. It’s the inconsistency of the referees. On another day it’s given and no one bats an eyelid.

Back