• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-0 Aston Villa: Verdict Thread

I half missed the goal as I was shouting for a penalty. The Nunes handball is definitely in the seen them given camp, he moves his arm to try and stop the ball from hitting it, which makes it look worse. We'd be livid on here if we didn't get it, although I don't think it is
I’d agree. I know the level of refereeing is scandalous at times, but last few weeks we finally have got abit of the rub of the green

Only managed to see the sky sports highlight. So doesn’t paint a full picture.

Great header by toti for the goal - however just after his awful defensive header leads to that shot which Sa tips round the post (real top draw save that)

Watkins free header and mings obviously should do better, but Costa should score his chance?

Comes said cunha missed a good chance from a costa knockdown? It wasn’t shown though.

How did the balance in midfield look?

There was the chance Neto created too which wasn't on the highlights.

Only managed to see the sky sports highlight. So doesn’t paint a full picture.

Great header by toti for the goal - however just after his awful defensive header leads to that shot which Sa tips round the post (real top draw save that)

Watkins free header and mings obviously should do better, but Costa should score his chance?

Comes said cunha missed a good chance from a costa knockdown? It wasn’t shown though.

How did the balance in midfield look?
Cunha put one over the bar just before half time, should at least have got it on target.

Midfield Inc wide forwards looked balanced as we put round pegs in round holes. Neves' radar was off a bit, Villa play a very high line, there were 2 or 3 balls he overhit that could have put us in, that said his leadership was great. Lemina had one of his 3 good games in 4

Really solid performance, Lopetegui said he didn't recognise his players after last week's shambles but that was a lot more familiar. It doesn't change a lot of what we all think about certain personnel but hopefully we can kick on with 3 positive performances to end the season and prove that BHA was just an outlier in an otherwise upwards trajectory.

The referee was an absolute disgrace for both teams, it's a theme with Attwell that both sets of fans walk away seething at his incompetence. At least he's consistent and can't be accused of bias I suppose... He's been easily the worst referee in the league for over a decade and he's not getting any better. The only big call he got right was the handball, never a penalty and I'd have been furious if it had been awarded. With Attwell it's not the big calls that are the issue though, it's the constant stream of wrong decisions that ruin a game. In the first half he was giving Villa a free kick pretty much every time there was contact, it disrupted the flow of the game and actually handed Villa the upper hand. Incredibly frustrating.

Defensively we were solid for most of the game apart from the 2 times when Watkins & Mings found themselves wide open. We were probably lucky to come away with a clean sheet considering how easy those chances were but we missed chances of our own as well, Cunha & Costa really should've scored and I've no idea how they survived after Neto created that chance in the 2nd half.

Lopetegui was really clever in the way he set up. When Villa had possession on their right hand side we played in a 4-4-2 mid block, looked to press them into mistakes and break with Neto. We were obviously a bit more cautious of their left hand side of Moreno & Ramsey so when they cycled over to the left Matheus dropped back to RWB, Nelson into RCB, the midfield shuffled over and the line dropped to make it a much deeper 3-5-2. They might've had more possession (helped in the first half by Attwell killing any momentum we could've built in an attacking sense) but our shape helped us control the game and we really should've put the game to bed when we were on top in the first half of the second half. As the game wore on it was only natural for us to drop a little deeper, but apart from the Mings set piece they never really threatened.

Sá - World class reaction to save when it fell to Buendia in the box. Claimed everything else well but his distribution was a bit hoofy for my liking.

Semedo - You could see him and Matheus were still trying to work out their positioning at times on the right and that made him a little unsure and erratic but otherwise I thought he dealt well with everything Villa threw at him.

Dawson - Not sure who loses Watkins & Mings for their chances but an otherwise good performance. Brilliant play at the end to take it to the corner flag. Not sure it was a MOTM performance as some have suggested but certainly solid.

Kilman - Pretty even with Dawson. Had my heart in my mouth when a cross looped to the back post and I saw he was underneath it but he actually bothered to jump this time (not very high but I appreciated the effort). A few nice runs and passes, he can actually progress the ball well when he wants to, but then also a lot of hoofing under no pressure as well.

Toti - Excellent performance. Solid defending, supported Neto well and a brilliant goal. Very few things better than a thumping header crashing in off the bar. Got absolutely rinsed by Bailey once but did the right thing by hauling him down to prevent the chance, other than that Traore & Bailey hardly had a sniff.

Matheus - Excellent after last week's catastrophe. He was absolutely shot at the end, did a serious amount of running to support Nelson at RWB and also get forward when we broke. Defensively he was solid, won every duel and had a few moments of real quality on the ball as well. MOTM.

Lemina - Sniffs out danger and wins it back. Makes a very hard job look very easy at times. Top player.

Neves - Love him, love him, love him. Worked his arse off.

Neto - A really good performance by Neto and he was unlucky not to have created a goal with his cross in the second half. Hopefully he gets significant game time in the last 3 because he looks sharp now, I'd love for him to get a few goals/assists. It'd be such a boost to have the old Neto back. Loved his passion when he chased the ball down at the end.

Cunha - Really should've scored but an otherwise decent performance. I've no idea how he managed to dribble through almost their entire team in the first half, if he had managed to switch that to an unmarked Matheus before he was fouled it would've been an incredible assist.

Costa - It's weird because even though he's clearly too old now, it's his finishing that's letting him down. Even the goal he scored vs Brentford just hit him. Really should've scored or just crossed it to Cunha or Matheus who were wide open. Other than that he was excellent, a real handful for their defenders.

Hwang - Ran hard but once he came on the game kind of drifted back towards Villa so didn't have much to do in an attacking sense. No issues with him if he's used like that. I'd much rather have him on in that situation than Adama.

Adama - Please leave.

Collins - Subbed on for his height. The right change at the right time.

Moutinho - Last time we see this legend in a Wolves shirt?

Good to have an atmosphere approaching what it used to be like under Nuno. Missed a few games recently so it was my first home game since they've started the flags and I thought they were great. Villa fans were shite as per. Only started singing once the final whistle went and they could pretend to pop off behind a line of policemen.

Yep, arms are by his side in a “natural position”. The fact he’s trying to get his arm out the way after the event shows the proximity and it’s that action that makes him knock it and look worse as said.

I half missed the goal as I was shouting for a penalty. The Nunes handball is definitely in the seen them given camp, he moves his arm to try and stop the ball from hitting it, which makes it look worse. We'd be livid on here if we didn't get it, although I don't think it is

Same on both counts. I was amazed it wasn't given, looked obvious even to me in the northbank.

Don't agree with the discussion re Neto's acceleration. Yesterday and vs BHA he's absolutely blown past players the same way he used to.

Maybe it's just him getting upto it physically but multiple times he was outpaced by Ashley young which isn't a good sign. However, against Brighton he absolutely left Estupinan for dead a couple of times and he's no slouch.

Wonder with Neto if it's a bit of a mental thing atm, worried about giving it the full beans after 2 bad injuries.
There was a bit of pressing he did in the second half which ended up with him celebrating when he put it out for a throw. He looked quick then.

A few minutes later he got in behind to create a golden opportunity.

I think it's there, it just needs a bit more game time / confidence

Neto almost looked quicker with the ball than without it yesterday. We tried to isolate him against Young numerous times, but never quite found the right switch of play.

Maybe it's just him getting upto it physically but multiple times he was outpaced by Ashley young which isn't a good sign. However, against Brighton he absolutely left Estupinan for dead a couple of times and he's no slouch.
He outpaced Young almost every time.

He did struggle a bit when they moved Konsa there who is quicker and Carlos at CB.

He outpaced Young

He likely did at points, just the times when he didn't seemed to stick out to me. The time when he seemed to have a clear run at goal and Ramsey caught him would never have happened before his injury, Neto was genuinely lightning fast.

He likely did at points, just the times when he didn't seemed to stick out to me. The time when he seemed to have a clear run at goal and Ramsey caught him would never have happened before his injury, Neto was genuinely lightning fast.
Ramsey is very quick but yes that was noticeable.

Difficult to see how fast it was from the Northbank I imagine.

The distance from him to the ball didn't seem to be that small to me at the time. It is a bit closer than I assumed having seen the highlights but I still think we were lucky it wasn't given.

Neto just needs to stay fit for a decent amount of time to give him some confidence back in his own body I'd imagine. There are surely doubts there with him after two large spells out. Only he and the physio team knows what tiny issues he's managing at the minute.

A few more runs out, then a good pre-season injury free will do him the world of good I reckon. Then a run in the team and a goal should see him kick on hopefully back to near his best.

Back