• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-0 Fulham: Verdict Thread

They had one proper chance if you chose to ignore the other ones, yes.
1 chance and 2 half chances for me. So will be nice, round up and give them 2 full chances...

They had one proper chance if you chose to ignore the other ones, yes.

Don't be ridiculous.

Someone knocking it way over the bar from a fairly unpromising position (check the sheer panic in Rui's dive....oh wait, he just watched it fly nowhere near the goal) and a left back trying to shoot from a weird angle on his wrong foot, I can't say I was quaking in my boots either time.

One of the best centre forwards in Europe running straight in on goal with only the keeper to beat and someone trying to knock a rebound in from four yards, they're proper chances.

I get you've got your matchday thread act, doesn't bother me as I don't read it save to briefly pop in at HT occasionally. If you could not bring it in here x

I was disappointed in Ivan Pele today, was expecting to see him attack more - but he did nothing against a makeshift LWB and young LCB.

I think the best thing to say about the game is that we won.

Trying to change the way we play and bed-in new signings with no pre-season is a risk, but I guess Nuno felt that we'd be able to learn on the job. We'll see. I'm expecting to see improvement with every game from now on.

xG was 0.89 Vs 0.98

Most of fulhams xG was the Kamara chance

Just glad for the 3 points, not a good display though. Two weeks to get it sorted, the last 10 minutes dragged .

It's not knee jerk or looking for bites. We've had no rest, no pre-season, we're transitioning to a new style and have lost two players who were well integrated. All of that is showing in the results and performances. I reckon we'll be somewhere between 8-12, but hopefully towards the latter end of the season the new lads will be settled and we'll be a bit more comfortable with the change in style, rather than looking caught between two stalls which we do at the moment. Ait-Nouri should make a difference, but we are a centre back and a centre midfielder away from this new system being properly fluid and effective imo.

Can we just have a moment of respect for Lycans revue of the the first half?

"Highlight was Saïss knocking out Aina with his cock"

A line that still had me smiling after the final whistle :)

Barry Douglas supposedly off to Watford according to the BBC football gossip page, so that'll hopefully be another ex player that won't score against us, cyber will have to retire the runes/tea leaves/crystal ball bollocks soon(hopefully)

I'm usually positive but that was pretty shite. Delighted with the result but there wasn't much else to be impressed with.

Hopefully once the transfer window is shut and the international breaks are over we can settle in and improve as I don't fancy watching performances like that all season.

On the plus side, I thought Kilman did well and Saiss was fine as LWB. Boly much improved too.

I'm usually positive but that was pretty shite. Delighted with the result but there wasn't much else to be impressed with.

Hopefully once the transfer window is shut and the international breaks are over we can settle in and improve as I don't fancy watching performances like that all season.

On the plus side, I thought Kilman did well and Saiss was fine as LWB. Boly much improved too.

Kilman does well when he plays. Boly looked happier as you say and more athletic. Otherwise there isnt much to shout about. Undeserved three points tbf. Fulham were worth a point and would have had one with a modicum of finishing ability. We will not be challenging the top half playing like this.

Given the kit-bashed team and last week’s implosion, I’d have taken a tight, dreary 1-0 before the match, and that’s what we got.

Got the job done is all one can say really.

We are clearly still in transition and having to play someone we signed for midfield, then converted to the back 3 at LWB isn't ideal, but suspect that that won't happen often (having said that Kilman performed fine - more composed and less likely to dive in, but wasn't really pressured down that side).

Lookman caused us problems when he appeared & that is what we should have used Adama for the few minutes he was on to push them back into their half. By then though we were too deep to get him in a position he could run at them.

Raul's flick from the corner, which was clearly intended to be on target, ended up exactly where I would have expected Doherty to be - Semedo will learn that there might be opportunities there.

Without their keeper we would have been 3 up before they had their one real chance which Kamara decided to fuck up.

We have a couple of weeks to regroup (though half the team will be away on Int duty) & sounds like at least one more incoming

Far too early for predicting where we will finish in the league, but there will be a few games through the season which will give us an indication
As for the four games so far we were good, against Sheffield Utd, especially first half, Man City took us apart and we had a go in the second half arguably could have nicked something which would probably have been undeserved, West Ham was a strange game which you get once or twice a season and left us perplexed, nervous and confused (but in context Leicester are probably feeling the same this evening) and today we played through our nerves and deserved the win in the end. So as far as season starts it’s probably been a 6 out of 10 for me.
The games against Leeeeeedz, Everton, Spurs, Vile will give us a better indication, as they have all invested heavily.
Agree though that if we do play like today, we are going to be found wanting
Let’s not kid ourselves, although this is our third season we’re still learning and now in a transition.
Many parts of our game are still effective, but we have to start to look for better options, play with more attacking intensity whilst managing the ball better. I know we all know now how important Jonny is to us

Could be worse Man U are all over the place lol

Can we just have a moment of respect for Lycans revue of the the first half?

"Highlight was Saïss knocking out Aina with his cock"

A line that still had me smiling after the final whistle :)

This incident needs more attention than its getting for sure

Kilman does well when he plays. Boly looked happier as you say and more athletic. Otherwise there isnt much to shout about. Undeserved three points tbf. Fulham were worth a point and would have had one with a modicum of finishing ability. We will not be challenging the top half playing like this.

Fulham absolutely did not deserve a point. On what possible basis did they? Because it's not chances created or playing better football.

Barry Douglas supposedly off to Watford according to the BBC football gossip page, so that'll hopefully be another ex player that won't score against us, cyber will have to retire the runes/tea leaves/crystal ball bollocks soon(hopefully)

never miss an opportunity do ya.

Keep it on the Cybertosis thread please.

Fulham absolutely did not deserve a point. On what possible basis did they? Because it's not chances created or playing better football.

Yes they did. Guess what . Thats a valid opinion. They should have got it too. That last 15 was all Fulham. They just lacked the quality to score. They prssed and moved and in Lookman they had a player that I liked the look of until he tried to kick Nevs. We have struggled past a team who will be lucky to stay up but who looked a whole lot better than Norwich did here last year. If I were in their camp I would have said unlucky not to get something just like you said we were unlucky not to get something against city.

I did not say we were unlucky vs City, quite the opposite.

Fulham deserved jack, pushing on at 1-0 down with 15 minutes to go means nothing, especially when you create one whole chance and that being on the break.

Norwich actually did play better down here last season, could have scored a couple of times at least in the first 20 minutes, they were genuinely all over us, which Fulham never ever were today.

I'm delighted with the result and in hindsight, I guess we should have expected a cagey kind of performance from both sides after the last couple of weeks.

Still a lot we need to improve on, and for obvious reasons the side doesn't look balanced yet. Semedo looks fantastic (hope his injury isn't too serious) and Hoever impressed me when he came on. Raul had a really poor first half but as we found more space going forward in the 2nd half, he made some clever runs and should have scored.

I'm really not too concerned about the overall showing though tbh - we looked a lot better at the back and although we lacked urgency at times, we still carved out the better chances.

It's so important to follow up horror shows with some positivity and we won, we kept a clean sheet and we were a lot better than we were last week.

Back