• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1 - 1 Hull - The Verdict Thread

I think what Davies does is almost irrelevant really.

If the ref sees a push, or even just contact that looks like it affects Davies's jump, then he's within his rights to give it.

I don't think it should be a penalty but equally that sort of thing is getting given as one ten out of ten times.

It was an obvious push. He didn't ease him out at all.

Whether its a push or he "eases" into him, its in Davies back so has to be a pen...having said that defenders get away with far worse "handling" of players all the time, lost count of the number of times I've seen defenders with their arms wrapped around attackers (and vice versa) with no punishment.

It was an obvious push. He didn't ease him out at all.

He didn't push him at all. Davies makes it look like a push by going to ground so dramatically. Hause is not just going to let Davies get a free header so uses himself to stop it, maybe a little naively using his arm away from his body but it's not a foul.

I really don't think it was a penalty, especially seeing the replay more a theatrical dive. Still happy with a point and wouldn't have cared if it was given for us

He didn't push him at all. Davies makes it look like a push by going to ground so dramatically. Hause is not just going to let Davies get a free header so uses himself to stop it, maybe a little naively using his arm away from his body but it's not a foul.

He pushed him in the lower back. Blatant penalty.

He pushed him in the lower back. Blatant penalty.

He didn't push him. I had a great view from behind the goal and yes he did touch him but there wasn't a push. Davies felt his arm and went over. I'd say the same if it the other end for us too, it's not a penalty.

For me it is a definite penalty. Frustrating for sure as so often they don't get given. If it was the other end I would have been screaming for a spot kick. Against us, I just think we accept the decision and move on.

It's stupid from Hause.

He's fucked up to begin with, his marking is shit so Davies gets the run on him. In principle his next move, as Slink says, is sound in trying to ease Davies away from it but the method is all wrong, don't stick an arm out there like a mug. If he'd just stepped across the run a bit or leant/jumped into Davies then the ref probably doesn't even consider it but standing flat on the ground with your arm in the back of a guy who's jumping above you just makes you look guilty as sin.

It's soft a shit on Davies' part but Hause has given the referee a perfect opportunity to make that decision.

For me it is a definite penalty. Frustrating for sure as so often they don't get given. If it was the other end I would have been screaming for a spot kick. Against us, I just think we accept the decision and move on.

I'm coming at it from a playing point of view though, you wouldn't want Hause to let Davies have a free header and so you are told to to ease him out of it. Where he goes wrong i think as i said is that his arm does come away from his body but he didn't push him. Davies felt it and went down and obviously the referee saw it as a foul but it really isn't. Anyway we move on, i thought Hause played well to be fair and he can only get better.

I get the easing out Slink but he's caught on the wrong side and so the contact is in his back and not on Davies side or front which is an easier case to deal with. Davies gives it the full Platoon mind you but then I think most players do.

I get the easing out Slink but he's caught on the wrong side and so the contact is in his back and not on Davies side or front which is an easier case to deal with. Davies gives it the full Platoon mind you but then I think most players do.

Don't get me wrong i can see why it was given but when you watch it back and just as i thought at the time he doesn't push him but is just a little naive in easing him out with his arm away from his body. Obviously he is the wrong side hence the need to try and ease Davies out but i just don't agree with anyone that says it's a blatant penalty when it's not.

It is contact in the back in the area. Always a risk. And Davies "doing the platoon" sums up his action in the incident completely. The lesson is, don't give Blues fan Marriner the opportunity to give a decision against us.

Slink I understand what your saying, and you have a point but not in this specific instance. As others have said, easing a player is fine, but his execution of it is terrible. Out of position, so desperation shove with an arm not a body. . If it was Peter crouch and you were goal side, your going to get away with backing in etc. However in this situation you are not as he is no situation to play the ball.

Slink I understand what your saying, and you have a point but not in this specific instance. As others have said, easing a player is fine, but his execution of it is terrible. Out of position, so desperation shove with an arm not a body. . If it was Peter crouch and you were goal side, your going to get away with backing in etc. However in this situation you are not as he is no situation to play the ball.

I've said his execution of it wasn't great but you will quite often see a full back get caught out and then just easing into the attackers back to put their jump off. This for me is what Hause tried to do and yes didn't do it so it looked great but that's all he did and he didn't push Davies. Like i said earlier i don't think it was a penalty and never will despite it being naive but i can understand why it was given.

Yes but a clever full back does this subtly. They will ease their body in (as they are close enough, rather than it being a last minute desperation attempt like Hause did where he had to reach out with an arm). Despite it being essentially exactly the same thing, I don't think that is a penalty I think it's good defending.

But as Hause did it in a moronic way which made it look like a penalty. It's a penalty all day long.

I think more than anything it exposed Hause's naivety and it's something that he'll grow out of. Even Lescott had a couple of howlers in amongst the brilliant potential, I think the crucial thing was that Hause went on to have a strong showing for us after the pen and didn't let his head drop.

If he's still making the same mistakes in the new year we'll have a problem.

Back