• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-2 West Ham: Verdict Thread

If most of the comments I find laughable on here are earnest and heartfelt rather than intentionally hammed up for effect then I may need to review my critique. As things stand there's no way I can consider vast majority of posts that fall into that category to be anything close to representative of their authors' true feelings.
I'm not sure if you're being genuine or not, and I'm not sure if my view is correct either in that most people are being genuine.

Something you might want to reflect on though is how often people express annoyance at you.

I'm not sure if you're being genuine or not, and I'm not sure if my view is correct either in that most people are being genuine.

Something you might want to reflect on though is how often people express annoyance at you.
He does it to be a dick. He knows it, you know it, I know it and everybody who posts or lurks on here knows it. I wouldn't bother giving him the attention he's looking for.

I can't control how people react to me, I am what I am, unless I was doing something harmful to others then I don't feel any need to change.

He does it to be a dick. He knows it, you know it, I know it and everybody who posts or lurks on here knows it. I wouldn't bother giving him the attention he's looking for.
Place would be very quiet if everyone chose to ignore every bit of attention seeking, no? I mean if no-one were seeking any attention they wouldn't post on a public message board at all would they?

Place would be very quiet if everyone chose to ignore every bit of attention seeking, no? I mean if no-one were seeking any attention they wouldn't post on a public message board at all would they?
I honestly think to most people your laughing emoji in response to their posts comes across as condescending and patronising whether that's your intention or not.
You're not the only one to do this btw.

Oops forgot I clicked into a verdict thread.

Kinda feels like things could be coming to a boil, I’ll be curious to see what happens over the summer with clubs and their attitude/support toward var and who run it.

Having said that to me it feels like a completely self inflicted injury; It’s not that hard. Seems like stubbornness and arrogance is the problem atm, not the technology.

I honestly think to most people your laughing emoji in response to their posts comes across as condescending and patronising whether that's your intention or not.
You're not the only one to do this btw.
I work so hard on not being condescending, that means "having or showing an attitude of patronizing superiority:" by the way :ROFLMAO:

VAR review: "It was a terrible decision," Wolves boss Gary O'Neil said after the game. "It is possibly the worst decision I have ever seen. If your knowledge and understanding of the game is really poor, you could reach the conclusion that is offside."
O'Neil has had plenty of reason to complain this season, with a number of terrible VAR decisions going against his team. Wolves have suffered three VAR mistakes -- only Liverpool and Nottingham Forest have more -- while they are the only team in the Premier League not to have a single VAR overturn in their favour all season.
You can argue against the law, but his anger is misplaced against the officials and it's a very easy overturn for the VAR, Tim Robinson.
If a player is stood directly in front of the goalkeeper in the line of vision to the ball, the goal will almost always be ruled out. Line of vision doesn't only have to mean that goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianski can't see the ball; Chirewa's presence so close to him can impact his decision-making to move for it as well.

It's not a consideration that Fabianski has no chance of saving the ball, the law only requires that Chirewa's actions prevent him "from playing or being able to play the ball" -- ergo, could Fabianski have done something different if the Wolves player wasn't stood in front of him?

Arguing that Fabianski should move out of the way of Chirewa only underlines that the goalkeeper is impacted. If goals such as this aren't disallowed, it effectively gives attackers the right to stand in front of a goalkeeper when offside as long as the shot on goal isn't straight at them.
These offside decisions, where the ball goes into the corner, always look harsh but if the shot is from a close distance there's little chance the goal will stand -- and it's not the first time this season the law has been applied in this way. However, on the previous occasions the disallowed goal did not affect the result of the match, which may be why it caused less controversy.
In September, Manchester United's Jonny Evans had a goal ruled out for offside as Rasmus Højlund was stood in front of James Trafford when the ball was headed -- though admittedly it went much closer to the Burnley goalkeeper. The referee for that match was also Harrington.

Another goal was disallowed in a Burnley game when a Harvey Elliott strike for Liverpool was chalked off at Turf Moor when Mohamed Salah was in front of Trafford when the shot was taken.

And in February, it was Burnley's turn to have a goal disallowed when 3-0 down at Crystal Palace. David Datro Fofana headed home from just inside the six-yard box, but a VAR review ruled Lorenz Assignon was in an offside position in front of Sam Johnstone. It's unlikely the goalkeeper would have prevented the goal, but the VAR only has to determine that he was impacted.

In all three games, the Premier League's Independent Key Match Incidents Panel unanimously voted that offside was the correct decision.
The frustration of decisions like this is the unexpected nature of them -- goals being disallowed for seemingly innocuous situations, unseen as it happened, is one of the most annoying aspects of VAR. Moving to a "challenge" system, whereby managers get a set number of appeals per game, would reduce some of the negative impact but to suggest goals such as this wouldn't go to VAR is fanciful.
If you have a challenge system, clubs would have a member of staff whose sole job was to look at a goal and to find a case for an appeal. As soon as the West Ham bench saw Chirewa in front of their goalkeeper in an offside position there would be an immediate challenge.
I honestly don't know how anyone refs this sport effectively when the takes on Kilman's non-goal are so unbelievably polarized.

Source: https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_...ew-liverpool-arsenal-penalties-wolves-offside

Last edited:
If you have a challenge system, clubs would have a member of staff whose sole job was to look at a goal and to find a case for an appeal. As soon as the West Ham bench saw Chirewa in front of their goalkeeper in an offside position there would be an immediate challenge.

If it was just one appeal per half West Ham would have appealed against their goal being ruled out for the foul on Semedo.

If it was just one appeal per half West Ham would have appealed against their goal being ruled out for the foul on Semedo.
Fwiw, later in the article the author says VAR got that one right, too.

VAR review: While it may seem a soft on-field decision, Emerson stands on the foot of Semedo as the cross comes over, causing the Wolves player to go down and leaving a free header for the attacker.

Once the VAR identifies that Semedo has been stood on, the referee's decision won't be overturned.

It’s just nonsense. They let a goal stand where Rashford effectively dribbled with the ball for 20 yards without touching it.

He could see the ball, he couldn’t save it. He didn’t “interfere” with him at all. Salah didn’t “intefere” with Toti’s botched clearance at Anfield apparently. There is just no consistency or common sense.

If Chirewa was interfering. Then pretty any player in an offside position is “interfering” and you give them all off.

The only argument I’ve heard is it stops Fabianski moving out towards the ball ie Graeme Souness said that erm the offence is only present once Kilman heads the ball not as the ball is coming in.
If Chiwera isn’t there Fabianski position is the same as is the outcome.

“Threatening” ffs

Maybe they can punish how they punish the refs

"That was poor Gary, we have to punish you for it. You are banned from managing in the PL next week and will instead look after Rotherham for their next game. See you back in the PL straight after it though"

Kind of shopped himself on that one in his after match interview.

Back