• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-3 Crystal Palace: Verdict Thread

Hwang comes alive in the box, but his hold up and link play can be very poor indeed.

He's simply not a focal point the way we've asked him to be since returning from his injury. Never has been. The best we can get from him in that role is a ton of work and the odd goal.

New ownership as I’ve stated, yes Fosun in their first 3-4 years got us to to 7th in the PL but we’re now in reverse.
Ah! So you want a shiny new toy .

Reflecting back the most frustrating aspect of yesterday was Palace did nothing special yet scored three goals and it was a very comfortable victory for them. They didn’t play outstanding passing football, they didn’t have players beating our defenders like Zaha used to, they just played good, solid football.

Their success was down to doing the basics and after a steady opening 20 minutes they started pressing us at the back and waiting for us lose possession, nearly always in our own half, often close to our own area. Earlier in the season teams sat off a lot more, probably because they were worried about giving too much space for our forwards to play in. Now teams are pressing as it cuts off the supply to our forwards which is proving to be extremely effective in limiting our forwards ability to impact the game. GO needs to find a way to stop this happening, whether that’s by changing tactics or players. MOTD did a nice montage of Burnley cocking things up playing out from the back and apparently we lose possession and concede more goals than anyone including Burnley which is pretty damning.

Grow up or don’t bother if you can’t give a constructive response
Think you are the one that needs to grow up. OK, so you want a new owner.... no thought given to how we would attract one or even if there is one out there. No thought given to what has been achieved since Fosun took ownership and what they achieved. No thought given to how they have stabilized us and given us consistent Prem. footy. No thought about the investment they have made. No thought given to why they had to take the action they have taken to avoid FFP.

No, simply the old rhetoric of they aren't spending more money so we need a new shiny toy. You ask me to grow up but you're acting like a spoilt brat.

Anything to note from the brief appearance on Enso?

Anything to note from the brief appearance on Enso?
As has been said, not really ready. A couple of touches were loose, a ridiculous foul given in his favour when he literally charged into their guy and overall, not enough time to really judge.

Reflecting back the most frustrating aspect of yesterday was Palace did nothing special yet scored three goals and it was a very comfortable victory for them. They didn’t play outstanding passing football, they didn’t have players beating our defenders like Zaha used to, they just played good, solid football.

Their success was down to doing the basics and after a steady opening 20 minutes they started pressing us at the back and waiting for us lose possession, nearly always in our own half, often close to our own area. Earlier in the season teams sat off a lot more, probably because they were worried about giving too much space for our forwards to play in. Now teams are pressing as it cuts off the supply to our forwards which is proving to be extremely effective in limiting our forwards ability to impact the game. GO needs to find a way to stop this happening, whether that’s by changing tactics or players. MOTD did a nice montage of Burnley cocking things up playing out from the back and apparently we lose possession and concede more goals than anyone including Burnley which is pretty damning.
Agreed. There was a sloppiness and casualness we have seen in other games. Palace had some good forward movement that opened us up time and again but most of it came from our own mistakes rather than opportunities they created. Our tactics were somewhat questionable as they left us open but overall, it was the players mistakes that cost us.

We were a total mess at the back if Eze and Olise hadn’t missed really big chances it could easily be 4 at ht. When they played out it was 3-4 touches to halfway. We are incapable of a first time pass. I’m afraid that we are only heading one way. Didn’t stop for the after match awards as I literally was glad to see the back of our 2023/4 season.

TBF after the first 10 or so games it was better than I expected but Christ it’s been very Lagesque for 3 months. I don’t want to be too critical of O’Neil but I don’t think he’s the long term future. But you can’t sack him when he’s got you out of the shit if you’re Fosun.

If it weren’t for the fact of spending time with my brother and a couple of mates on a regular basis I wouldn’t bother, but with VAR and the state of the game (diving, squealing like pussies, time wasting etc) it ain’t worth £20 never mind £38.40 that the 12.5% ST rise I’ve heard mentioned would make it.

Our league form has been crap since the Villa game, which was the 30th of March, let's not over egg it with talk of "3 months" or "months" its been poor enough without exaggerating. (It's less that 3 months ago that we beat Spurs away for example)

And we know all too well why our form fell off a cliff around that time, having to play the likes of Fraser as a striker!

Think you are the one that needs to grow up. OK, so you want a new owner.... no thought given to how we would attract one or even if there is one out there. No thought given to what has been achieved since Fosun took ownership and what they achieved. No thought given to how they have stabilized us and given us consistent Prem. footy. No thought about the investment they have made. No thought given to why they had to take the action they have taken to avoid FFP.

No, simply the old rhetoric of they aren't spending more money so we need a new shiny toy. You ask me to grow up but you're acting like a spoilt brat.

I think wanting new ownership might work out well and isnt being spoilt it’s looking at the whole situation with an objective view point, and league positions since 2020 have been on gradual decline, playing squad is general decline. I’ll divert your eyes to post 62 on this thread where I’ve given credit to Fosun for what they’d did. Just because we’ve been in the PL for a while doesn’t mean you should sit back and not question when things aren’t working and are risking our PL status.
The FFP issue is a self inflicted one and due to spending on complete dud signings like Guedes and Fabio, it’s poor running and poor transfer business that’ve led to this.
Not to mention the STH pricing hikes and allowing parts of the ground to look very tired.
The current strategy of hand to mouth existence each summer is unsustainable.
To add I’ll continue to debate properly no doubt you’ll return with a petty insult.

I new ownership might work out well isn’t being spoilt it’s looking at the whole situation with an objective view point, and league positions since 2020 have been on gradual decline, playing squad is general decline. I’ll divert your eyes to post 62 on this thread where I’ve given credit to Fosun for what they’d did. Just because we’ve been in the PL for a while doesn’t mean you should sit back and not question when things aren’t working and are risking our PL status.
The FFP issue is a self inflicted one and due to spending on complete dud signings like Guedes and Fabio, it’s poor running and poor transfer business that’ve led to this.
Not to mention the STH pricing hikes and allowing parts of the ground to look very tired.
The current strategy of hand to mouth existence each summer is unsustainable.
To add I’ll continue to debate properly no doubt you’ll return with a petty insult.
I'll simply refer you to the interview Jeff gave in May 22.

I'll simply refer you to the interview Jeff gave in May 22.

That’s 2 years ago and we’ve had 3 managers since then. Can I divert you to this open letter from less than 12 months ago and a more up to date version of what’s being planned.

That’s 2 years ago and we’ve had 3 managers since then. Can I divert you to this open letter from less than 12 months ago and a more up to date version of what’s being planned.
As you said, most of our problems have come about because Fosun was prepared to spend money in attempt to improve our team. Damned if they do, damned if they don't. However, Fosun do have a strategy and do have the long term in mind. Sure there is some short term pain but I don't see any reason why a new owner would come and do any better. Newcastle have owners who can spend as much as they want but reality is the rules don't allow them to do so.

Not really sure what you are expecting from them. I get your disappointment with performances, with the squad depth and the last few months but I don't understand the argument for finding a new owner. You refer to Jeff's letter to supporters and I don't find any inconsistencies to what he has said and how he has acted.

Early on they decided they wanted Lope and had to be patient. When they finally did get him, they were prepared to pay what it took to recruit him and his team. Surviving in the Prem. was of paramount importance and through appointing him and recruiting players to make that happen, there was always going to be a consequence with FFP.

Through prudent financial management, we haven't turned into a basket case of a club like Everton but we have continued with the vision that Fosun have for us of being self sustaining. That has been made clear from day one when they purchased us and to their credit, Fosun have continued to invest in us.

You point out paltry issues such as season ticket prices and the state of the stadium. The norm for any fan wanting to have a pop at those they aren't happy with.

Now, none of that is an excuse for some of the mistakes that have happened but the big mistakes that have caused our distress in the closing months have been caused by the fact Fosun did invest in players previously. As usual, football fans of every team want their cake and eat it and when the parent says "No", the child wants to scream and squawk. Let's just wait and see what happens shall we?

Our league form has been crap since the Villa game, which was the 30th of March, let's not over egg it with talk of "3 months" or "months" its been poor enough without exaggerating. (It's less that 3 months ago that we beat Spurs away for example)

And we know all too well why our form fell off a cliff around that time, having to play the likes of Fraser as a striker!
We've won 2 games since the end of February. We're bottom 3 in the form table over the last 1/4 of the season and we're shipping goals for fun.

Our form is fucking rancid.

The transfer business in January 2023 is completely out of sink with the article you posted from May 2022 and is completely out of sink from us being frugal and balancing books for FFP.
What happened come September 2022 was they realised they’d left themselves short and kept a manager way out his depth in charge so could see the trap door waiting so panicked and bought in a load of players that kept us up so yep well done on that but it stems from very poor judgement in pre season.
If the club continue mistakes and poor decisions regardless of good intentions you’ve got to question whether they’re good enough to keep running the club, I’ve credited them for their good work but let’s be honest since the summer of 2020 they’ve made some huge errors.
Buying Fabio, Sacking Nuno, replacing with Bruno, allowing Sellars to have such a pivotal role, buying Guedes, persevering with Lage, BS Lop, a no show in this January window.
Season ticket prices aren’t paltry issues especially to the fans they’re extremely important.

Back