• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1 Burton 1 Verdict thread

It's not an alternative opinion though Frank. You had absolutely nothing to add except that supporters always blame the ref when we don't win, which is utter bollocks.

I'm not blaming the ref for us not winning. It was us sitting too deep after we scored. And we missed chances. And we were crap in the first half again.

The ref was rubbish though.

Frank - criticising the ref is not a capital offence

Wasn't there so am not in the right position to comment on how we played, though sounded as if we did some good stuff, but not as a team - hopefully that will improve as players get used to each other

Having said that, even from the commentary there appeared to be some odd calls from the ref & it's reasonable to criticise when anyone doesn't reach the standard you would expect at this level (player or official) - didn't sound as if he did

I am used to it. Daring to have an alternative opinion is frowned upon, but such is life. One thing I do know is that during the course of almost every game you will see is that the referee makes fewer mistakes than the players. But it is easier to blame the referee when things do not go as expected.

Can you quote anyone who has said we didn't win because of the ref?

If they did, that WOULD be an alternative opinion.

We drew because we didn't take out chances and got tired and sloppy at the end not because of the ref because even though he was shit we should have won. Even when we were winning 1-0 i was appalled at the standard of refereeing which in every other game this season has actually been quite decent.

I liked it when we were trying to bring Bod on....Walter, Bod and the 4th official were basically doing the Icelandic clap on the sidelines trying to get his attention....3 of our players were told to go away when they tried to tell him we wanted to make a sub (we were setting up a free kick in our own half). We had to take the free kick and wait another couple of mins to make the sub.

Steve Bull MBE at Molinuex Stadium, Wolverhampton Wanderers F.c.
4 hrs · Wolverhampton ·
This referee is pants! Worst ref I have seen in a long time! Btw that was definitely a goal.

It took him a good 30s to realise Tex was down injured in their box too. Even after Ikeme threw the ball out of play deliberately he still needed it pointing out to him.

It took him a good 30s to realise Tex was down injured in their box too. Even after Ikeme threw the ball out of play deliberately he still needed it pointing out to him.

He seemed to think players were asking him why he hadn't just given Burton a free kick. Guy was a first class moron

The ref was so bad he HAS to have been biased. The only other explanation is sheer incompetence (but that isn't possible as Frank says they all work so hard to get there). As has been mentioned, it wasn't just his decisions, he didn't know the rules or what was actually going on. He also couldn't wait to book our players for diving but ignored the two blatant dives from them in the first half.

Our players nationality also influenced his decision. Truly abysmal stuff from a "professional".

This result doesn't seem like anything to get particularly worked up about in the long term. We are very much a work in progress and I'm just as excited for the rest of the season a I was this morning.

I am used to it. Daring to have an alternative opinion is frowned upon, but such is life. One thing I do know is that during the course of almost every game you will see is that the referee makes fewer mistakes than the players. But it is easier to blame the referee when things do not go as expected.

From reading this thread, and as someone who also didn't go to the game, I didn't get the impression that the ref was at fault for us not winning the game.

If the ref was noticeably poor, then why exactly are you taking issue with people mentioning that?

As an aside, yes, fans probably do tend to focus more on poor refereeing performances when the result hasn't gone the way they would have hoped. Surely better for the fans to take out their frustrations on an outsider though,no?

We know how bad the refs were in league 1, well i thought this fella (from Long Eaton) wasnt even league 1 standard.
He seemed to have some ulterior motive to his strange behaviour and yet he wasnt even on tv.
Hope to god we dont get him again this season.

Burton fans will almost certainly be saying on their forum that the ref was crap and cost them the game and that he was a closet wolves fan

I liked it when we were trying to bring Bod on....Walter, Bod and the 4th official were basically doing the Icelandic clap on the sidelines trying to get his attention....3 of our players were told to go away when they tried to tell him we wanted to make a sub (we were setting up a free kick in our own half). We had to take the free kick and wait another couple of mins to make the sub.

That's absolutely shocking!

As things stand I would like to see Bod starting games and Mason coming on when needed. They seem to be building a good understanding when on together.
Very depressing we let Burton score in added time.

Just seen the highlights on 5.

Gladon definitely fouled the keeper so the ref got that one right.

Very odd penalty decision. I'm not sure it even hit Stears' arm, or if it did how either official could see it. I'm still not sure after watching it several times. It definitely deflected upwards slightly but could have easily come off his raised foot.

I'm glad it didn't show CBJ's clearance in the build up to their goal as it would only wind me up even more. I'm still pissed off about it even now!! I didn't feel this annoyed after losing to Huddersfield FFS.

And oh look it was Edwards supposedly tracking their goalscorer into the box. And he did naff all, to match the rest of his performance after coming on.

Good Lord, Frank. Holier than thou barely begins to describe it.

Just seen the highlights on 5.

Gladon definitely fouled the keeper so the ref got that one right.

Very odd penalty decision. I'm not sure it even hit Stears' arm, or if it did how either official could see it. I'm still not sure after watching it several times. It definitely deflected upwards slightly but could have easily come off his raised foot.

I'm glad it didn't show CBJ's clearance in the build up to their goal as it would only wind me up even more. I'm still pissed off about it even now!! I didn't feel this annoyed after losing to Huddersfield FFS.

And oh look it was Edwards supposedly tracking their goalscorer into the box. And he did naff all, to match the rest of his performance after coming on.

It definitely hit Stears on the arm but he was turning away from the ball and natural movement of the arm is to go up as you turn. No way is it a penalty.

Think you're being very harsh on CBJ, 100% he got cramp as he was swinging his foot at it and that's why he didn't get out anywhere near the crosser either.

Agree on Edwards, not blaming him but he was awful when he came on, ran around aimlessly letting Burton players go past him.

Back