• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1 Burton 1 Verdict thread

Burton were settling for the point, and who can blame them?

Atmosphere after we scored was quite good. I thought the South Bank was very VERY loud for about ten minutes there.

Fair play to Burton they were hard to break down and had a great game plan a draw was a fair result.

I thought we looked like a team that made too many changes I know Hause, Iorfa & Bod were away on international duty but I thought we looked a bit disjointed and lacked a cutting edge in the final third only when Bod was introduced we looked more of a threat going forward.

Ref was shocking in fact a disgrace I'm still wondering what the penalty was for I heard It was handball by someone and another said It was for shirt pulling, If the latter was the case then Costa should have had one first half.

Feeling a bit more human now as had 30mins kip after the game - sounded as if we played OK, but are not a team yet

Sounded as if Walter was going to give himself a coronary in the second half - though its good to see a manager that involved

A tip though Walter - if we are winning by 1 goal don't bring on Dave Edwards to try to hold onto the lead - you had Wallace on the bench & if Cavaleiro needed to come off then replace with him & pen Burton into their own half.They can't get a last minute (or even a 2 min past the time) goal to equalise.

I thought the lack of presence up front hindered our attacking play. I'm not sure what sort of player Gladon is supposed to be but he doesn't seem to be able to play up front on his own. Though only one game into his career so he has a bit more time before I completely write him off.

Mason was the game changer for me, busy and harassed players, and Bodvarsson improved us further.

Cavaleiro seemed slow to me, dreadful first half but improved as the game went on. Glimpses of ability, so fingers crossed he improves.

CBJ was ok, though clearly both fullbacks had been told to sit deep in the first half - tactical misstep from Zenga there.

It was handball. The country dancing was I think "keep your hands by your sides". It was an abominable decision, as could be shown by the fact that not a single Burton player even appealed for the penalty.

There seems to be plenty of good technique and flair within the new players, guess it's just a matter of waiting for it all to gel I suppose.

I think so yes. When it hits off we could be absolutely devastating, but that is hopefully coming.

The ref had an absolute stinker. The pen was for handball and at first viewing (through the goal net as it was the other side of the area to us) it looked incredibly harsh.

It was a fucking joke. Like most of his decisions. Shameful official. Not fit to be at that level, or frankly on a Sunday down the bloody park.

I agree with Paddy 100% re the ref. After the disallowed goal he made a signal to the goalkeeper as if he was waving play on ( i thought he'd give it!)...proper random signals. Pefectly good goal chalked off!!

Full blog reaction tomorrow but a draw was about right, we didn't do enough to win. Prince, Coady, Ikeme, Stears and Bod played well, Tex and Gladon did not. Take the point, move on.

By the way it was not a perfectly good goal by Gladon :icon_lol: The most obvious foul in the world. The ref just confused the issue by not signaling like a normal person.

Just seen the highlights of the goals. Poor by DE4, should have been closer to the guy who scored.

May as well do a full review before watching the fight later on.

Ikeme - Didn't have a lot to do really, a couple of routine saves folllowed by an easy penalty save. On another day could have come for the cross for the goal but wouldn't have expected him to.

Doherty - Not as good at right back and everyone is pretty much agreed on that. Doesn't have anything to beat a man on his natural side and gave Dyer far too much space in the first half. Should have scored at the end but missed the ball.

Batth - Did pretty well i thought, couple of good challenges and tried to play apart from once where he just cleared the ball for no reason.

Stearman - Like he'd never been away, slotted in nicely and defended well. No way was it a penalty but deservedly booked for a needless tackle in the corner. Carried the ball forward well a few times.

CBJ - I think from what i have seen there have been a lot of harsh reviews of him. Doesn't look to do anything quickly, he just has that sport of demeanour and did give the ball away a few times but he just looks class. Some passes that he played were top draw and he will be a good signing. Absolutely knackered and had cramp when he tried to clear at the end, unfortunately it led to their goal.

Coady - I thought he played very well, some great passes played and covered lots of ground to cover for others. One of his best performances for me and harshly booked for diving. Very little if any contact on him but it was a terrible effort to tackle him and he just got out of the way, should have stayed on the floor and it would have been a blatant penalty.

Prince - Starting to look like the player we signed, not seen the best of him yet but definitely seen glimpses now. Arrived late to score and finished it well.

Teixeira - Worst i've seen him yet and by a long way, wanted 5 touches to many. Got frustrated when he didn't get the ball early enough which is fair enough but has to add end product.

Costa - Runs at players well and will be an important player. Didn't dive from where i was, defender stepped on his foot and across him.

Cavaleiro - Not your out and out winger that some expect him to be so he's not just going to run at the full back all of the time. Likes to link play and i thought he did well first half but had a good second half, put one ball across that was begging to be finished that somehow wasn't. Will be a good signing when fit.

Gladon - Not as bad as some have said, he's not Bodvarsson in terms of industry but looks neat and tidy and we just didn't get anyone close enough to him. Did score but from the Southbank couldn't tell if he took the keeper out or the keeper went into him and dropped it.

SUBS

Mason - Changed a lot when he came on because he just had more about him than Teixeria. Should have bagged at least one but was denied by a couple of blocks and a dragged shot. Went through one and one and should have shot first time rather than take it wide, cross was then poor.

Bodvarsson - Created the goal with Mason with his desire and ability to run at someone despite being a big lad. Should have done better with a header when he hadn't been on long.

Edwards - Awful, should not have come on. Chased the ball constantly and let a Burton player go past him every single time. This should have been Wallace.

A lot of positives again and no where near as many negatives as i've seen from fans across various places. We should have won after that second half but we tired massively in the last 5 minutes and it told with the CBJ clearance and our inability to get out. Also Edwards was terrible and we may as well have been playing with 10.

As previously mentioned the referee was awful from start to finish and just seemed to give everything Burton's way unless it was blatant. Burton constantly fouled and the both Gladon and Stearman caught elbows to the face that weren't punished. Told Prince to go off and made him stay off before letting him back on despite booking the Burton lad for the challenge on him so clearly doesn't know the rules. Wouldn't let us bring Bod on at one point either and tried to hurry Cavaleiro off the pitch.

My post on the Matchday thread:

I'll say this after 8 mins, the ref is fucking useless

CLEAR foul on the keeper for Gladon's 'goal' by the way. One of the decisions I can't complain about!

And everyone had stopped aswell, knowing it was including the 'goalscorer' who tapped it in.

I thought the ref had given it though, the way he signalled. He was a very odd official. No idea why he didn't give Costa a free kick in the first half when he was brought down next to the by line.

The ref was odd on the goal that never was......he signalled as if he was awarding a goal - 3 of our players thought he had awarded it for a few seconds. I will back the motion that the ref was a useless pile of shite today.

On the result - Threw it away. From the 85th min we invited the pressure on us.

What was Walter going nuts over after the full time whistle? As the players were leaving the pitch he was being restrained, properly going after someone. Not the ref as he had long gone. He had a massive issue with the Burton keeper after the Coady booking (not a penatly, not a dive) so I wonder if he said something to him.

Forgot to mention Coady, he played really well, especially in the first half. Motm for me.
I thought the booking for a dive was harsh - though I think we all know how poor the ref was today!

Back