• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1 Reading 2 - Verdict Thread

This is why people were saying we needed to go in again in the transfer window, we have a chance of getting in the play-offs and we are slowly throwing it away. We need to find someone who can play in the hole that we can give the ball to who will create something and be that number 10, Edwards will never be that player. Obviously you have to identify that player and make sure everything is right but it just hasn't happened. Now that's either because our recruitment isn't good enough or as Johnny has said many times Jackett doesn't want to play that way. Whichever one it is something needs to change.

We arent good enough, creative enough, consistent enough, or ambitious enough for the play offs. There are teams below us who stand a better chance !

It's clearly evident that central midfield isn't good enough to mount a serious challenge for the top 6. Kenny says he's happy with the squad he has so does that mean no loan additions next week?
If not I expect the season will just fall away with us finishing 10-11.
In perspective that would have constituted a good season at the start.
Whether Kenny is good enough to take us further I'd rather leave that judgement until next season. I think it would be unfair to make that judgement at the end of this season considering we were in League 1 last season.

We arent good enough, creative enough, consistent enough, or ambitious enough for the play offs. There are teams below us who stand a better chance !

There aren't any teams below us that have a better chance of the play-offs, they are all 11 or more points away from them and despite our failures not one of them is better than us. We still have a chance but it means Jackett adapting and a couple of loan signings.

17 Huddersfield14 3 3 8 16 30 -14 12
18 Fulham 14 3 2 9 18 32 -14 11
19 Bolton 15 3 2 10 12 27 -15 11
20 Leeds Utd 14 2 4 8 14 27 -13 10
21 Reading 14 2 4 8 12 29 -17 10
22 Cardiff City 14 1 6 7 13 22 -9 9
23 Wigan 14 2 3 9 12 22 -10 9
24 Blackpool 15 0 5 10 12 35 -23 5

These are the worst sides awy from home in the league this season. Of these we have played 7 with 2 fortunate wins against Cardiff and Bolton a scrappy win against Blackpool, poor draw against Wigan and defeats to Huddersfield and Reading. So we should have seen today coming

Just seen the other results and the teams above us seem to score goals for fun.
We are just not clinical enough when we do get a chance to score.

We will finish in the top 8, but it's frustrating that you look at how well brentford have progressed, when we were a better side last year.

I would hope we are looking to loan someone in, I would like Nick Powell.

I refuse to believe that Jacobs instead of Edwards wouldn't improve our ability to create chances and score more goals. I don't know what the hell is going on there, it's like city playing Milner behind Aguero instead of Silva. I also don't understand his obsession with Doherty - I assume that was his idea of us being more attacking today even though iorfa has been fantastic by all accounts.

A
We will finish in the top 8, but it's frustrating that you look at how well brentford have progressed, when we were a better side last year.

I would hope we are looking to loan someone in, I would like Nick Powell.

I wouldn't put money on that

This is the kind of result that shows that we a decent top half side, but still prone to results and performances like this. There is still a lot to do before we are ready to compete at the top level again.

Very disapointing, can only assume Golbourne and Iorfa are not fit. Still think Evans and McDonald is a weak centre midfield pairing, will be interested to hear from people attending.

I also don't understand his obsession with Doherty - I assume that was his idea of us being more attacking today even though iorfa has been fantastic by all accounts.

Iorfa is better than Doherty in every aspect of full back play. It's not even a contest.

Pretty rubbish today I'm afraid. Devoid of any ideas other than getting it wide, far too slow moving the ball through midfield and no creativity whatsoever. Strange team selection and even stranger substitution's.

If we are going to play two strikers, please put them both upfront, not shoehorn one into the 10 position

This is a defeat for KJ. Poor initial line up, Golburne and Iorfa (unless injuries) should have started, along with Price.

Evans was ok and a lot of people were clamouring for him, Doherty was averge, basically offered less than iorfa but didn't do much wrong. Hause is poor as a left back, can stand in but can't play more than the odd game There.

Unfortunately KJ'S subs left a lot to be desired, changing formation and then changing it back is pretty awful management tbh.

Just back from the game and we really were awful! I like KJ and no matter what happens in the future will always be grateful for the way he guided a sinking ship back to reasonable condition but I really am baffled by some of his selections. Kortney Hause is not a left back and from what I have seen never will be, why is he there? He was at fault for the goal after 20 seconds with a terrible header away, give me Sam Ricketts every day of the week at left back. No Golbourne again today apparently injured - but fit enough for the bench - so is he fit or is he injured????. Doherty in instead of Iorfa what's that all about?, Then we make a substitution and take Evans off and move Edwards into centre midfield , apart from the fact he was shocking today he definitely isn't a centre midfielder - square pegs in round holes all the time. We were pretty poor all over the pitch today - plus points not many but I thought Kevin Mac had a good game and Stearman was excellent along with Danny Batth at the back, a bad day at the office mark it off and move on. One last thing why when we are crying out for a bit of creativity is Michael Jacobs not even in the squad that's the one that's really baffling me at the minute.

Just back.

Well, that was pretty damn awful from start to finish, bar one delicious cross that Afobe put away for our goal. We looked disappointingly clueless for the vast majority of the match. Not helped by a referee who decided Reading could kick and block us with impunity while blowing for a foul of one of our boys farted near a player in hoops, but that should not take away from the fact that we were very very poor and toothless today.

Disappointing, and not a little disheartening.

Just back.

Well, that was pretty damn awful from start to finish, bar one delicious cross that Afobe put away for our goal. We looked disappointingly clueless for the vast majority of the match. Not helped by a referee who decided Reading could kick and block us with impunity while blowing for a foul of one of our boys farted near a player in hoops, but that should not take away from the fact that we were very very poor and toothless today.

Disappointing, and not a little disheartening.

The ref was shite and it stood out more so because we were clueless. Why was Sako left on the pitch second half?

I don't know to be honest. He is our talisman and can do great things but he was an absolute passenger second half.

Some of Kenny's post match comments.

"Five points is nothing with 17 games to go but we need to be better that we were today, particularly in the second period. We do need to be better to close that gap but five points is nothing and can be made up. We had a good unbeaten run in the last eight games but I don't think that the last few performances have particularly sparkled and we didn't sparkle today. We are capable and looking to perform better than that.

We couldn't really lift the tempo and get a rhythm to our game. We were struggling to find the next pass and struggling to be fluent. We were looking for a big second-half after getting the equaliser but Reading looked more like scoring and we looked vulnerable on the break and in the second period I thought they deserved that win.
We have now got two games on the road and we look forward to them and we want to put things right from today. We want to be in a situation where we can keep pressure on the top six and keep looking forwards rather than backwards. But we will need to do better than we did in the second period. We started the half ever so flat and couldn't get going but from our own point of view in terms of where we are, yes with the amount of games to go and the amount of points to play for a five-point gap is one that is realistic to try to make up."

I don't know to be honest. He is our talisman and can do great things but he was an absolute passenger second half.

Sako is class. But he is not class when the rest of the team decide to play shite footy and make no attempt to control the balL and no-on makes runs or quality passes to him!

Back