• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-0 Brentford: Verdict Thread

6 wins, 3 losses and 5 clean sheets at home under JL.
This is some line given he's only just figured out a system that makes us properly effective.

Bit of recency bias there Del I think.

Liverpool 3-0 and the 1-0 away at United were excellent performances. Not that we weren't very good today.
Might be recency bias, as you say, but IMO Liverpool were far worse on that day than Brentford were today.

This is some line given he's only just figured out a system that makes us properly effective.

Closer to Chelsea now than the bottom three. Which is insane.

Reactions: b3h
I think that's probably the best performance we've seen for a couple of years tbh, we were excellent.

A few let offs on counters and setpieces but you'll always get that in this league. Think we largely defended well, loads of energy in midfield and some lovely interplay by the front lads. Nunes was superb, that's the player we were all excited about. Costa, Gomes and Gomes all excellent too - in fact other than Sa and Sarabia, everybody was at least 'very good' as an individual, and it looked like each partnership or unit blended really well too.

Sarabia for Neto is the only change for me, you can't bring Neves straight back in and disturb that midfield
Spot on really. On ability neves walks straight back into the 11, but on the back of last 2 games, with CM working so well I wouldn’t want to change it unless injury.

Sarabia I’d a strange one. I feel he’s the type of player who will flit in and out of games, and unless he creates an assist, scores will go mostly unnoticed. If we can get Neto want where back to where he was, he would suit that left hand side perfectly

My memory is so shit that everything I say has recency bias to it :LOL:

I'd probably need to watch all three back to back to put them in order with any authority tbf, but I think in terms of how comfortable we were largely today, and the quality of some of the football we saw just felt really quite alien

I think I agree with Del - that’s as assured a performance as we’ve had for a long time. Sa aside there wasn’t any nervousness, and we didn’t lose our heads after a VAR decision which was a refreshing change.

Fully anticipating reading that Liverpool have reignited their interest in Nunes over the next day or so

Didn't catch all of it but from what I saw there wasn't an objectively bad performance. Sarabia was a bit anonymous and Sa as ever has to make things interesting but otherwise the team as a whole put in a shift and earned a bit of luck with the goals. Very pleasant afternoon and we might even be able to enjoy the last few games of the season stress-free.

Think you're spot-on, really, Del.

If everyone who started today is fit for next match, it'd be nuts to change things, IMO. Brutal on Neves obv but it's a ruthless game at a ruthless time of the season.

Call me a dinosaur; I don't want to change a winning side.

If everyone who started today is fit for next match, it'd be nuts to change things, IMO. Brutal on Neves obv but it's a ruthless game at a ruthless time of the season.

Call me a dinosaur; I don't want to change a winning side.
We made a lot of changes in the match, was good to see it didn’t change how we played. I’d be happy with whoever Lop chooses as long as he gets the formation and tactics correct.

It’s difficult, I thought there was a noticeable energy drop off when Gomes went off. I’m glad it’s not me making the decision.

It’s difficult, I thought there was a noticeable energy drop off when Gomes went off. I’m glad it’s not me making the decision.
Disagree here, Gomes was superb today but the last 10 minutes or so he was running in treacle, also on a yellow, absolutely right decision to swap him for Moutinho.

I did suggest/hope that with Neves' absence may allow us to see what Nunes could do, and I think he's done just that. These 2 performances may have put him back on the radar of certain clubs and we could indeed lose both him and Ruben. I'm sure if that happens Julen has a couple of tricks up his sleeve regarding replacements. Its going to be a very interesting summer.
6 points from our last 2 home games is tremendous especially as we may have taken 1 point beforehand.

Disagree here, Gomes was superb today but the last 10 minutes or so he was running in treacle, also on a yellow, absolutely right decision to swap him for Moutinho.
Definitely. He really tired. Great performance though.

Sarabia is immense at closing down and preventing the opposition getting forward. Thought he had a really good game.
Thought he was absolute dross tbh!

Had one nice exchange of passes in the second half but other than that he was invisible.

Back