• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-0 Brentford: Verdict Thread

It's possible to impact the game positively without being directly involved on the ball tbf.

I'm kind of in the middle on Sarabia today. Didn't shame himself, though.

Reactions: b3h
An excellent performance with everyone playing well, best summed up by the fact Neves only comes back in if there’s an injury. Lemina is certainly carrying one so he might prevent Lop having too difficult a decision.

Stand out performances from Nunes, Gomes and Dawson. Costa is finally up to playing an hour and I don’t think I’ve ever been happier to see a player score.

Just seen replay of challenge on Toti - all I’ll say is if it had been given it would not have been overturned. That aside I thought Tierney was excellent- it feels like the wait to say that has been longer than the wait for a Wolves striker scoring in the PL!

This is the first time in a loooong time that I've thought with Neves fit and ready to come back there's not really anywhere for him to go!!
Who would have thought that?
Does anyone think he can fit in now especially if we spurn Klopp's advances towards Nunes?

Sarabia didn't do much flash stuff but he does press well, same with Cunha.

Sarabia didn't do much flash stuff but he does press well, same with Cunha.
don’t quite know how you describe it but both press well while covering the out ball to other players. Sort of coming towards the ball while preventing it being passed to one or two players behind them.

Thought we were decent without being spectacular today. Worth the win, they looked a bit end of season. Sarabia is an interesting one, on the one hand I don't see it, on the other we score more goals when he's on the pitch than when he isn't. Happily move on from Sa in the Summer. Was the right keeper for us under Lage in that sweeper keeper role. We need and can get better with Lopetegui and his building out from the back approach. 2 points from 7 games and it's done, which feels great to type

Reactions: b3h
Thought overall we played well against a decent Brentford, we tend to struggle (recent history) against big, strong, physical sides but we coped well, did the right thing keeping Toti at LB for this game. Scored our goals at the right time.
Was a bit concerned when Gomes picked up a needless yellow first half but he held it together well and ran himself into the ground, as did Lemina. Dawson and Kilman coped well with their front line and Semedo did well too.
Nunes was class. Hwang took his goal well and provides loads of energy.
Been trying to watch Kilman last few games given the stick he's had, last couple of games haven't seen him hiding particularly, once today he ran away from the ball in the box when he should have gone and cleared it but that seemed more him being in 2 minds and taking the wrong option more than anything.
Pleased for Costa, great hold up play, as athletic as I've seen him for us and got his goal, the fact it was largely luck will matter not a flying fuck to him or me.
Neves will come back in next game, probably for Gomes which will seem harsh on the kid but he's had 2 really physical games and a rest won't hurt him.

Last edited:
don’t quite know how you describe it but both press well while covering the out ball to other players. Sort of coming towards the ball while preventing it being passed to one or two players behind them.
Yeah think they've both done that since they came, would be nice to see a few assists and/or goals from them now.

Thought overall we played well against a decent Brentford, we tend to struggle (recent history) against big, strong, physical sides but we coped well, did the right thing keeping Toti at RB for this game.
You've been OUT haven't you?

Oh forgot during my long, apparently pissed up post, Lopetegui got the starting line up and subs spot on, hope that puts the numpties who were calling for his head a few games ago back in their box.
I think people wanted him to stop starting Moutinho and Traore. He has and as expected results and performances have improved massively.

It's taken a while, but it seems that JL is finally getting the best out of these players. We played like a proper team today, with some lovely one-touch stuff. Great to see Costa now looking like an asset rather than a makeweight and Matheus N. turning from zero to hero almost overnight. Excellent from Gomes. Good performances from everyone today, in fact, though why Sa has to piss about like that is beyond me. (He's not alone, though - Alisson, Ederson, Lloris - they all have a rick in them. Must be something about GKs.) What a difference a few weeks can make. I recall someone posting re Neves's upcoming ban that Chelsea and Brentford were not a bad couple of games to miss, the inference being (I suppose) that we wouldn't get much from them anyway. (Now watch us get dicked by Leicester next week .😆)

I think people wanted him to stop starting Moutinho and Traore. He has and as expected results and performances have improved massively.
There's no doubt he made mistakes in our poor run but it was crazy, think it was more an attitude problem than personnel

Something else that occurred to me, when we got the penalty turned down (it looked nailed on from where we were but we were as far away as you could be in the North Bank) we reacted really well, Brentford did put us under pressure for 5 minutes or so but unlike a few games ago we didn't lose our shit and subsequently our composure and defended well and worked our way back into the match.

There's no doubt he made mistakes in our poor run but it was crazy, think it was more an attitude problem than personnel
His bizarre team selections have always been away from home. Let's see what next week brings

This is the first time in a loooong time that I've thought with Neves fit and ready to come back there's not really anywhere for him to go!!
Who would have thought that?
Does anyone think he can fit in now especially if we spurn Klopp's advances towards Nunes?
There would absolutely be a place for neves. I don’t see why a midfield 2 of neves and Gomes wouldn’t work. I’d just hope with neves back it doesn’t mean we change the 442/4411 we are playing and he drops deep between the centre backs.

That being said, I would be throwing him straight back, and if/when he goes, atleast we know that the bottom isn’t necessarily falling from the world.

That being said, I will still be taking a days compassionate leave when he goes

An excellent performance with everyone playing well, best summed up by the fact Neves only comes back in if there’s an injury. Lemina is certainly carrying one so he might prevent Lop having too difficult a decision.

Stand out performances from Nunes, Gomes and Dawson. Costa is finally up to playing an hour and I don’t think I’ve ever been happier to see a player score.

Just seen replay of challenge on Toti - all I’ll say is if it had been given it would not have been overturned. That aside I thought Tierney was excellent- it feels like the wait to say that has been longer than the wait for a Wolves striker scoring in the PL!
I thought that after the non-penalty he lost control with lots of dubious tackles going in from both sides that went unpunished.

Back