• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-0 Palace: Verdict Thread

Good lord, on BT Sport they are bringing up the ball brushing Podence’s arm in the lead up to our first goal (before Townsend passed it to Doc). Where will it end? :icon_lol:

And the fact that time after time Palace players took our players out with snide kicks to the ankle from behind. Quite how they only got one yellow and we got two is mystifying.

The ref just didn’t understand what they were doing tbh, was out of his depth.

We’ll need to win Sunday to get 6th, could really do with Chelsea winning at Liverpool and go into Sunday with nothing to play for.

Good lord, on BT Sport they are bringing up the ball brushing Podence’s arm in the lead up to our first goal (before Townsend passed it to Doc). Where will it end? :icon_lol:

When it hit Doc's arm in the 2nd half as he was defending at the back post I definitely clenched a bit

We’ll need to win Sunday to get 6th, could really do with Chelsea winning at Liverpool and go into Sunday with nothing to play for.

I'm not so sure. Tottenham need a draw at Old Trafford and Arsenal need to beat both Watford and Villa and catch up five goals for us to even need a point.

I'm not so sure. Tottenham need a draw at Old Trafford and Arsenal need to beat both Watford and Villa and catch up five goals for us to even need a point.

Spurs have got Palace

Spurs have got Palace, not United. We need to win to get 6th.

First half pretty poor, second half very much in control. Played a bit higher as a team and moved the ball around much better.

Thought that was Doherty's best game in a long time. I thought Nuno might not start him but he was a lot sharper today, defended well and was involved in plenty of our attacking play.

Podence is proving to be a real asset. Just had to be patient, let his opportunity come and he's really taken it. To be able to bring players of Jota and Neto's quality is fantastic. Let's hope we can keep those four options for the foreseeable future!

Great to go into the last game with something to play for - could perhaps do with Chelsea winning on Wednesday, though unlikely. I can see Arsenal dropping points against Villa for some reason...

Well played Doc

Ref was rubbish, gave free kicks for falling over and missed some really cynical stuff

We went through an odd spell in the first half starting with Boly's pass that he left short (leading to Schlupp's chance - had to hit the target given we didn't have a right hand sided player in our entire half) where we continually kept being slack in possession. As ever, didn't create much early on. But once Joao showed a bit of magic that was the game as good as done.

Much better second half, always looked threatening, Adama started to muller their defence (they managed him ok in the first half) and a second excellent goal kills it. I was shouting at Jonny to hit it left footed then he produces that. Don't listen to me, kid, carry on as you are.

Podence MOTM again for me with Neves, Adama (second half) and Coady close. Rui of course had little to do but there's a reason why he makes everything look so easy, it's because he's damn good.

Bankes - appalling referee, hated him in the Championship and he's even worse at this level. A bloke who simply doesn't understand the game and what is/isn't a foul.

Wilfried Grealish - enjoy Palace son as you'll be staying there for the rest of your career.

On to Stamford Bridge. Very tough of course, would help if they won on Wednesday - all we can do is do our bit. It's not beyond us.

When it hit Doc's arm in the 2nd half as he was defending at the back post I definitely clenched a bit
Jumped with his arms out unnecessarily again. Settles the protecting himself argument
My sons extra curricular activities mean I'm only seeing the second half of these midweek games and for that we were very comfortable, although appreciate that is literally half of the picture

I didn't think Podence was THAT effective tonight, being in the right place for an easy nod aside. He always looks lively and wants to go forwards which is great, but he hasn't developed that wavelength with the others just yet, quite understandably.

Traore MOTM for me. Caused them no end of problems in the second half. His run for the second goal was like a cross between a pinball and a bulldozer!

A tip of the hat to Doc too for not playing the easy 5 yard ball back to Traore when he squared it to Moutinho for the goal. And for the great run and poked cross too. He always looks so much better when he overlaps and drives into the box, rather than just give it to Adama and sit behind him.

Donk was very good I thought and tracked runners very well. I'd say he had a better game than Boly tonight.

Great finish from Jonny. Very dodgy first half but second half he got a lot more involved centrally and played well.

A roller-coaster of Chelsea emotions for us now. Want them to beat Liverpool, then rest players for the cup final and lose to us, then play well again and beat Arsenal in the final just in case.

Traore my MOTM, too. He wasn't very effective in the first half but still ran Mitchell and Schlupp ragged, they were both dead on their feet multiple times in the second half.

More than once Portuguese Dan and Jiminez got caught making the same run or occupying the same area, which is odd given Podence's stature, but he's clearly a guy who wants to score and I don't know if any of our other forwards aside from him or Raul gets in position to score his goal today.

All in all, a (mostly) calm performance against a team that just seemed devoid of any type of cohesion. Everton-esque.

I thought Doc had a really good game. Excellent in the air - with the exception of that jump at the back post on 54 minutes when he could easily have given away another penalty. And how poor is Zaha becoming now? A good footballer but just wants to fall over all the time.

Very poor ref I thought. As has been said above, not even a Championship standard ref

And so on to Sunday - which is the wife's birthday. Well, she's going to spend it watching Wolves. We need a win at Chelsea, as Spurs are going to beat Palace comfortably.

I'm watching the game at my brother Gerry's house.. He's a Chelsea fan so should be interesting

Back