• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-0 Palace: Verdict Thread

Not according to Walton last night. If the ref sees it then he gives it
Which I think is nonsense. It was the slightest brush with his arms down by his side. No way is that a free kick. It wouldn't be a penalty if it was a defender.

So if we're 6th and Arsenal win the cup they go straight through and we have to qualify, is that right?
6th is a qualifying place no matter what Arsenal do.

But yes the FA Cup winners and 5th place go straight into the groups.

Yep from 17th Sept

Can't see the logic in that at all; you can get any old dross potentially winning the FA Cup. League position ought surely to be considered to have more merit. Is that a UEFA rule or an FA one?

Can't see the logic in that at all; you can get any old dross potentially winning the FA Cup. League position ought surely to be considered to have more merit. Is that a UEFA rule or an FA one?
The FA Cup and League Cup take priority. 6th or 7th only get a place if the Cup Winners come from a team high up in the league so that's why.

6th is a qualifying place no matter what Arsenal do.

But yes the FA Cup winners and 5th place go straight into the groups.

Is that correct?

Last season 5th, 6th & 7th qualified for the Europa because City won the Cups. 6th went into the Group Stages and 7th went into Quali Rounds.
So the same format should follow this season shouldn't it if Chelsea win the Cup.

Qualification for a football tournament should not be this complicated!!

Is that correct?

Last season 5th, 6th & 7th qualified for the Europa because City won the Cups. 6th went into the Group Stages and 7th went into Quali Rounds.
So the same format should follow this season shouldn't it if Chelsea win the Cup.

Qualification for a football tournament should not be this complicated!!

No.

"a) If the FA Cup winners finish in the top five of the Premier League, their UEL group stage place will go to the next-highest ranked team not qualified for UEFA competitions in the Premier League."

https://www.premierleague.com/europ...es, three UEL,for the second qualifying round.

"a) If the FA Cup winners finish in the top five of the Premier League, their UEL group stage place will go to the next-highest ranked team not qualified for UEFA competitions in the Premier League."
Which is 7th now because Man City's EFL Cup place will go down to 6th.

Kenny is right. This is the more up to date article:

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1724150

I also noticed we can still get in Europe if Arsenal win the FA Cup and also finish 6th.

"If Arsenal win the FA Cup and finish sixth, the highest position they can finish, then they take the place in the group stage and seventh in the Premier League goes into the second qualifying round of the Europa League."

But we need Palace to beat Spurs for that to have any chance of happening.

I also noticed we can still get in Europe if Arsenal win the FA Cup and also finish 6th.

"If Arsenal win the FA Cup and finish sixth, the highest position they can finish, then they take the place in the group stage and seventh in the Premier League goes into the second qualifying round of the Europa League."

Essentially we need Palace to get something against Spurs.
Spurs would have to lose to Palace though

Spurs would have to lose to Palace though

You never know, Roy bollocking them in the Billy Wright last night might fire them up (apparently angry Roy is properly scary).

So agreed on Roy firing up the Palace lads then They might even stay on their feet a bit

I'd forgotten what a whinging prick Ayew was too, he pissed me off in the game at Selhurst, it was more of the same last night, quite how he got in a tiz about Donk landing on his foot was pathetic.

Final home record this season is:

P19 W8 D7 L4 F27 A19 Pts 31

Last season was:

P19 W10 D4 L5 F28 A21 Pts 34

I'd forgotten what a whinging prick Ayew was too, he pissed me off in the game at Selhurst, it was more of the same last night, quite how he got in a tiz about Donk landing on his foot was pathetic.

He changed his mind on that and tried to say Donck had elbowed him.

Boly winning the softest free kick against him and then laughing at him was fun though

Only 4 defeats is impressive.

We conceded first at home a lot (City, Newcastle, Arsenal, Burnley, Tottenham, Liverpool, Southampton, Sheffield United, Chelsea, Man United) which was a bit of a freak run as well as some sloppy errors, which I think we have largely corrected. I think that will improve a lot next season.

Back