• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2 - 1 Chelsea: The Verdict.

Mad that, I know its Chelsea but it was a midweek game in December plus it was pissing it down.

Mind, at least 5000 weirdos left before the final whistle.

As an aside I just had a look at how everyone else is doing against the so-called Big Six.

Most teams have played 4 or 5 times against the big boys (Leicester only 3 and West Ham already six times). The table of the results is quite good reading

Wolves P5 W1 D3 L1 F7 A7 GD +0 PTS 6
West Ham P6 W1 D1 L4 F4 A13 GD -13 PTS 4
Brighton P4 W1 D0 L3 F4 A6 GD -2 PTS 3
Watford P5 W1 D0 L4 F4 A10 GD -6 PTS 3
Crystal Palace P5 W0 D2 L3 F3 A8 GD -5 PTS 2
Everton P4 W0 D1 L3 F1 A5 GD -4 PTS 1
Southampton P5 W0 D1 L4 F3 A17 GD -14 PTS 1
Leicester P3 W0 D0 L3 F3 A7 GD -4 PTS 0
Newcastle P5 W0 D0 L5 F6 A11 GD -5 PTS 0
Bournemouth P4 W0 D0 L4 F3 A9 GD -6 PTS 0
Huddersfield P4 W0 D0 L4 F1 A12 GD -11 PTS 0
Cardiff P5 W0 D0 L5 F4 A17 GD -13 PTS 0
Fulham P5 W0 D0 L5 F2 A15 GD -13 PTS 0
Burnley P4 W0 D0 L4 F1 A14 GD -13 PTS 0

Pretty impressive

I thought it was 31,200 and something but bow to your greater knowledge.

As an aside I just had a look at how everyone else is doing against the so-called Big Six.

Most teams have played 4 or 5 times against the big boys (Leicester only 3 and West Ham already six times). The table of the results is quite good reading

Wolves P5 W1 D3 L1 F7 A7 GD +0 PTS 6
West Ham P6 W1 D1 L4 F4 A13 GD -13 PTS 4
Brighton P4 W1 D0 L3 F4 A6 GD -2 PTS 3
Watford P5 W1 D0 L4 F4 A10 GD -6 PTS 3
Crystal Palace P5 W0 D2 L3 F3 A8 GD -5 PTS 2
Everton P4 W0 D1 L3 F1 A5 GD -4 PTS 1
Southampton P5 W0 D1 L4 F3 A17 GD -14 PTS 1
Leicester P3 W0 D0 L3 F3 A7 GD -4 PTS 0
Newcastle P5 W0 D0 L5 F6 A11 GD -5 PTS 0
Bournemouth P4 W0 D0 L4 F3 A9 GD -6 PTS 0
Huddersfield P4 W0 D0 L4 F1 A12 GD -11 PTS 0
Cardiff P5 W0 D0 L5 F4 A17 GD -13 PTS 0
Fulham P5 W0 D0 L5 F2 A15 GD -13 PTS 0
Burnley P4 W0 D0 L4 F1 A14 GD -13 PTS 0

Pretty impressive

Take out results against united and it looks more impressive.

:icon_lol:

Bet you're glad you made the game now Booz.

Easily one of the best nights I’ve had for years mate, I’d have never lived down missing that. I’m still buzzing my tits off over it even though I only managed four hours sleep last night and have felt like dog shit all day.

Gibbs fucking White. What a player.

Easily one of the best nights I’ve had for years mate, I’d have never lived down missing that. I’m still buzzing my tits off over it even though I only managed four hours sleep last night and have felt like dog shit all day.

Gibbs fucking White. What a player.

Probably didn't get any more hours than that - due to the mattresses at Redwings being softer than I like & me having my one of my occasional insomniac nights - though have felt awake & in good form all day!

Knew that I wasn't going to be able to afford all 3 home games this month - another win v Liverpool will mean that my decision that the Bournemouth game was the one not to come up for will be the correct one

I still have very little voice left and feel like I have been wrung through a mangle. It was epic.

(Could have done without pissing Squeeze off by behaving like a loud daft twat when I got in and waking her and the kids (and the dog) but aside from that a tremendous evening was had)

(Could have done without pissing Squeeze off by behaving like a loud daft twat when I got in and waking her and the kids (and the dog) but aside from that a tremendous evening was had)

At least you still got back in - from what you said there was potentially some doubt on that :icon_smile:

No buses for an hour after I left the Boho didn't help I must admit. God alone knows what was going on with the bus service last night, it was dreadful.

What a game! Well worth the 6 hours sleep before a long day at work!

Personally I felt MGW was absolutely 0laying a false 9 position, he was noticeably deeper than Raul has been playing and Jota and Raul were pulled in much tighter. This is absolutely in keeping with Nuno's view the formation doesn't change, it was just a slight tactical tweak imo.

What a great time for Jota to return to what we know and love, from the off he was strong and full of running, people bouncing off him and driving at Chelsea.

Ryan Bennett with one of the best challenges this season, absolute belter!

Finally, I thought Chelsea were pretty good up until they conceded and then they seemed to fall to bits, some serious confidence issues there!

Also, I thought Saiss was excellent, brought balance into the midfield and whilst Neves and Moutinho are better individual players I'm not sure they bring the best out in each other.

Neves and Saiss for me on Sunday.

Spot on there mate with your report. I think its the current trend for GK's to go for the ball with the 'wrong' hand.
I thought when we recovered the ball in defence we just hit it anywhere a lot of the time and gave possession straight back.
Thanks Mick. Unsure whether to say it is the wrong hand per se, to the uninitiated, it looks a bit odd.
Standard keeper save nowadays. Easier to push the ball away from danger. The arm is moving across so when it connects with the ball more likely to push it away from goal is the main reason. Go with the "normal" hand and it is harder to push away so the ball can go back towards the danger area
Thanks kenny. If there is a good reason for it, fair enough. If it is the current coaching manual, then makes sense.

Also, I thought Saiss was excellent, brought balance into the midfield and whilst Neves and Moutinho are better individual players I'm not sure they bring the best out in each other.

Neves and Saiss for me on Sunday.

Bang on. Moutinho could do with a rest too, he must've been knackered at the end of that.

Mostly all covered by others but I'd like to chuck in some additional praise for Vinagre. He was absolutely fantastic. What a player he is going to be.

His little interchange with gibbs white midway through the 2nd half was superb. a portal into the future!

Been reading 'The Shed End' forum - convinced that they should have had a penalty when Boly tackled Morata (sorry rephrase that - when Boly picked Morata up and flung him into the back of the net according to them).

Having said that we had a decent shout for a foul on Jiminez in the box in the second half - turned the full back then had his left leg taken away. If it wasn't a foul then Raul should have been booked as it must have been a dive (not sure why he would have thought that that wasn't a sensible option then though). Was right in front of where I sit & looked as clear as day

Last edited:
Also, a big shout out to Mr Coady, constantly barking orders to Vinagre and Dendonker. He's a captain's captain.

Back