• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2 - 1 Chelsea: The Verdict.

A better stat would be that we have garnered 6 points from 5 games against the big six so far this season.

or only lost 1 in 5 against the big 6.Agreed.

Also I have been trying to put a positive on the Cradiff and Huddersfield. The best I can do is that we have won 3 out of 5 games against the bottom 6.

WTF is all this nonsense that we haven't defeated a big 6 team since 2011. We got fucking relegated twice since then - bit difficult to beat the fuckers when you don't play them (we still managed to beat one one in the cup though.). Nobs.

Didn’t we beat Liverpool in the cup?

Twice now I've seen his role referred to as a centre forward. Looked very much as though he was a number 10 (or false 9 perhaps - if there is a difference), but with the 2 forwards wider than in a normal system - Raul was still the focal point for crosses etc though.

A lot of times when defending they lined up as a pretty straight three with MGW in the centre, he wasn't constantly sat deeper than the other two trying to make an extra body in midfield, but then in possession he tended to be the one getting on the ball and feeding the other two rather than the usual set up with Jimenez central and generally the furthest forward of the three.

When we were defending they were all very deep anyway, MGW was probably where you would expect a 10 to be. Jota & Raul were almost like LM & RMs - we sat back more than normal last night, particularly in the first half.

Tonight was the night were you hug complete strangers and don't get eyeballed. Pablo you missed a hug big man [emoji20]

I pulled a muscle in my back when I got up to scream at the ref, so no hugs for me! I even had to stop people jumping on me when we scored.

Co-codamol is currently on duty.

Like Nuno said himself, the formation doesn't change, just the personnel. We played the same formation we always have, it's just that Morgan brings something to that #9 role that the others don't.

watched with a foreign commentary, and part of that experience was nice to have my own view, rather than that of the commentators.

chelsea were really good I thought. very good quality. their passing was crisp and clean. also, massive respect to sarri, who when asked about the penalty replied stating his team had 5 excellent chances to score which they spurned, so he wasn't going to focus on a possible penalty shout. top man. I look forward to seeing how chelsea develop.

generally thought we played pretty well. We were simply waiting for counter attacking opportunities. Things felt ok early on, Jota breaking forward, Vinagre was giving width, and was always an option. The occasional move broke down, but we were trying, and positive. The formation tweak surprised me, but worked well.

The OG was unlucky I thought. I don't really blame coady, if blame is apportioned, possibly there are people who should've closed down loftus cheek when he got the ball, or whoever passed the ball to him.

whilst chelsea had opportunities, they didn't take them. On another day, we could've lost that 3-0. However, only 1 goal behind I always felt we were in the game, and would get a chance. Have to say everyone did something of note. Rui's save from the free kick was awesome. I'm not a GK, but for those more knowledgeable - does he sometimes go for saves with the wrong hand? Sure I've wondered that before this season.

I thought Doherty was superb, Bennett was simply phenomenal and has really cemented why he is first choice RCB. He was everywhere, and his long throw gives us an option too. Boly was great, though I do worry sometimes he risks overplaying it. Coady didn't let the OG get to him. Vinagre was full of running. Whilst raw, and he over-ran the ball a few times, he always made himself available, and there were a lot of good passes and link up play. I thought Saiss played really well. For me he was better than Moutinho who struggled to get into the game at times. Jota was superb - reacted well to running the ball out early on, and influenced a lot of play. Raul was everywhere, and I don't need to mention MGW really do I?

I thought Jota in particular was superb defensively, though it was also noticeable how far back Raul came to support the team.

For me, this was definitely a team victory.

Spot on there mate with your report. I think its the current trend for GK's to go for the ball with the 'wrong' hand.
I thought when we recovered the ball in defence we just hit it anywhere a lot of the time and gave possession straight back.

I'm not a GK, but for those more knowledgeable - does he sometimes go for saves with the wrong hand? Sure I've wondered that before this season.

Standard keeper save nowadays. Easier to push the ball away from danger. The arm is moving across so when it connects with the ball more likely to push it away from goal is the main reason. Go with the "normal" hand and it is harder to push away so the ball can go back towards the danger area

Back home (& lunched) - couldn't post via the phone as am on O2 whose network has blown up (supposedly texts & calls are still ok, but not for me - couldn't even get those working)

Most of what I would have said has already been said so no point me doing it again. A telling comment earlier was that we wanted it whilst they expected it.

Front 3 noticeably closer to each other than in the last few games which was a critical factor & was massive to our ability to get back in the match, though Bennett's tackle was probably the pivotal moment as going 2 down might well have killed the game off.

Bennett's throws were a surprise, though clearly planned as the ball boys had towels available. Wouldn't want to go full Pulis (we won't) & use it as a default tactic, but on occasions it can mix things up & bring a different threat to counter.

Intended to watch Dendoncker when he came on to see what we had got, but by then my blood pressure was too high to concentrate on only one thing - for a game like that really still cannot understand the mentality of those leaving with time added on still to play having already sat there for 90 mins. It's like every book they read they tear the last 10 pages out so they never know the outcome.

Funniest moment was Boly's double collapse & the Chelsea players indignation of that after a number of their players had spent all evening doing exactly the same thing (Nuno's encouragement to the fans to up the volume even more - would agree with Paddy it was very loud - was good to see)

Finally MGW - what a little star. Best ever from our Academy? Probably a touch early to say that, but he could well turn out to be. No way does he not stay in the team for now.

Mostly all covered by others but I'd like to chuck in some additional praise for Vinagre. He was absolutely fantastic. What a player he is going to be.

Mostly all covered by others but I'd like to chuck in some additional praise for Vinagre. He was absolutely fantastic. What a player he is going to be.

Agree with that - took the game to themat pace & broke through a number of times

Still a bit naive defensively at the moment, but given his age & experience level that is really not surprising - that will improve as he plays more & all the skills/tools are in the locker already

I reckon MGW is great but his harcut does make him look like the Judderman. Still shook Chelsea up last night! :disco:

Back