• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2 - 1 Chelsea: The Verdict.

What's even better than the win is the display of mental strength we showed there. To come back and produce a second half performance like that against such a good team and after such a rotten run is pretty remarkable.

Nuno out? :icon_lol: Some of our fans don't deserve him.

So pleased to get the win but Chelsea showed their ability with quick movement and slick passing. That's still missing from our game though, a little more speed.
Thought the ref was abysmal and not until the last 6 minutes did he start blowing in our favour. Newcastle game is biggie now and we need to be pumped up for it from the whistle. Neves should come back in for Saiss for this one but MGW to keep his place - what a player he may become.
Thought Rui could have called Coady to leave as it was a soft catch.

how did donk look? unfortunately I had someone drop by my desk for 10 minutes like right after he was subbed.

iu
Fine, albeit a difficult situation to really judge him. Couple of much needed moments of composure, strength and pace to move the ball forward and draw in a foul and a few good tackles. Certainly didn't look like a player who didn't want to know.

What's even better than the win is the display of mental strength we showed there. To come back and produce a second half performance like that against such a good team and after such a rotten run is pretty remarkable.

Nuno out? :icon_lol: Some of our fans don't deserve him.

Yep. He got it right tonight and got rewarded.

Still we do have to ask wtf was wrong with us v Cardiff Huddersfield and Watford. I think the answer could be MGW. We had more pace strength and confidence tonight. Jota was brimming from the off.

But let's not forget that Bennett tackle on William or Holy on Mondays. Another day and you're 3 0 down.

Great result, we just need to up our intensity it seems. We look a lot better when we do

When's the last time he played like it? Or, more to the point, when's the last time the Neves + Moutinho combination worked in our favor?
All the first 10 games of the season.

Yep. He got it right tonight and got rewarded.

Still we do have to ask wtf was wrong with us v Cardiff Huddersfield and Watford. I think the answer could be MGW. We had more pace strength and confidence tonight. Jota was brimming from the off.

IMO at least against Cardiff and Huddersfield Neves was absolutely shocking, which really hurts when you're already outnumbered in midfield and the other guy is 32.

Bit of a gap between the bottom 7 and the rest now.

Raul's reaction to the Jota goal. Brilliant to see

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Good win and no road runner in sight. How about that...

Think the players expect a tough game against the big boys and subconsiously raise their game, plus the better teams try to impose themselves in a different way which suits our style of play.
Avoided MOTD and other highlights shows recently but looking forward to tonights

Jota's best performance of the season. Saiss did a decent job, and you do have to wonder if having him in the midfield adds a bit of extra strength. A clue of brilliant defensive challenges, one from Bennett one from Boly , that saved almost certain goals. And MGW... what an outstanding prospect we have on our hands. Easily MOTM. Great result, great 2nd half performance.

Proud to have watched that after a poor few performances.

Just wish I could have been there but will go to sleep happy tonight!

Absolutely fantastic. Endeavoured and persisted and the result came. I think Chelsea will be disappointed with the defeat but it was a fair result. Jota looked like the Jota of last season, I really do hope he kicks on from here and flourishes. There were many a good performance but I can't be bothered to type much.

Costa was was abysmal, lost the ball, slow and terribly indecisive.

What is it about us that makes us perform well against the teams at the top and so abjectly against the teams at the bottom? Enthusiasm? Complacency? Tactics?

Jota and MGW were absolutely superb tonight. It's not difficult to work out, that when our 'wide' players do well (I'm aware MGW was playing central with Raul moving out wide for large parts), we play well as a team. We're also more suited to playing on the counter, which we do more often against the top sides in this division.

I was frustrated with some of our distribution from the back in the first half. With better distribution in the first place, we'd perhaps not require Boly and Bennett to make ridiculous last ditch challenges to prevent almost certain goals - but fair play to those lads for throwing their bodies on the line. Also fair play to Patricio for his save from Willian's free kick - that was world class.

Absolutely delighted with the win. I really, really hope we kick on from here and go and beat Newcastle on Sunday.

I agree with whoever it was earlier in the thread that said we needed to beat one of the big sides to almost justify Nuno's tactics and our set up. Taking points off Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd & Arsenal is not to be sniffed at. We just need to work out a way of playing some of the other sides who we're expected to do well against. We might just be on to something with MGW playing that 'false 9' role.

Happy days. Well done Nuno & well done boys.

We've got out Jota back :)

Great game, had MGW's family in the box behind me. Lovely to see them watching their kid and nice to have a chat with them at half time.

Saiss stays for me, having a left foot helped a lot, much better defensively than Moutinho and Neves. Clearly not as good, but equally clearly a different type of player.

Thought Donk looked really good in his cameo - he's quick too.

I'm looking forward to t3ch's interaction with the Chelsea 'fan' at work tomorrow!

Dendonker looked good but needed Coady in his ear the whole time, telling him where to be and sometimes where to run.

For me, Neves and Saiss at the weekend. Call it time off for Joao ahead of a busy period.

So -daft hypothetical approaching -had Wolves drawn with Brighton, Huddersfield and Cardiff, but lost tonight -how would we all be feeling?

So -daft hypothetical approaching -had Wolves drawn with Brighton, Huddersfield and Cardiff, but lost tonight -how would we all be feeling?

Were we horrific against Cardiff and Hudd and stole a draw? profligate in front of goal? Opposition shut up shop and was a boring affair? Needs context really doesn’t it? It’s only really become a “bad run” because of the last two games result and performances.

Edit - we’d have also been on 19 points before tonight and the the comparative teams way below is in the table...

Back