• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-3 Leeds: Verdict Thread

If you think he was concussed, the fault lies with us still; someone on staff should have known to sub him off.
My conclusion is you have never even stepped on a football field, never mind kicked a ball.

It's also a result that can change the whole dynamic of a season for the club. Players losing focus could mean no Europe, which could mean Neves and Mouthino leave, and other potential targets don't come here. All down to one diabolical refereeing decision as the catalyist.
It's a worse case scenario but it's out there...

I watched the game last night and I've come to the decision that football and me are finished. The standard of referees and VAR not being implemented correctly, the so called big six favouritism. What is the point, I have better things to do.

Still fuming with the performance of our defence and the referee. Did he not think it worth having a look at it again on the monitor. I think both players went for a 50-50 bal. Yes the GK got there just before and there was the inevitable collision, but these things happen.
When Luiz whacked Raul, was there a card ? That was a life threatening collision, whereas last night's wasn't. There was a couple of incidents involving Cresswell (who should have gone for his attack on Ait Nouri0, Forshaw, and the guy who elbowed Saiss. Where is the consistency.
Even so, we should have managed the game better. Coady cleared off the line with a 3 yard pass to the scorer. Saiss sliced a clearance straight up the air - this has happened several times during the season by various players.
The outcome probably means no Europe and no Neves or any quality incomings. Next season could be very difficult.

Moutinho was probably lucky to avoid a red, and his 3 game ban with a Neves injury would probably mean 3 losses. So on last night you could argue a net positive from the decisions.

It’s a shit red for Raul, BUT that shouldn’t mean automatic 3 goals against. It was shit game management.

And yes all 3 goals are rubbish, but as we were under so much pressure and it was all so chaotic everyone lost their heads and made stupid errors. The manager could do something to stop that.

I do think our inability to play a back four (or lack of confidence to) also hurt us last night. We needed the option to go 4-4-1 I think but there's no way we would have done it. Ultimately that means we don't trust our centre backs properly. How many other teams in the league are unable to play a back four whatsoever like us?

5-3-1 with the options we had wasn't really going to help us that much (unless he'd taken Trincao off for Cundle pretty much straight away and put Fabio on for Podence).

After he got elbowed to the head and the ref didn't even give the Leeds player a card.
This. And the failure of Bruno to see it and I'm pretty disgusted that our medics let him carry on as well. We have concussion subs for a reason.

[Rant] Football is so far behind the collision sports is unreal, not even somebody nearly dying on the pitch has made them change.[/rant]

I do think our inability to play a back four (or lack of confidence to) also hurt us last night. We needed the option to go 4-4-1 I think but there's no way we would have done it. Ultimately that means we don't trust our centre backs properly. How many other teams in the league are unable to play a back four whatsoever like us?

5-3-1 with the options we had wasn't really going to help us that much (unless he'd taken Trincao off for Cundle pretty much straight away and put Fabio on for Podence).
I did say as much at the game. It needed Saiss taking off and Silva on.

Lage lost us that game, having said that Pep also lost a game like that against us and it's still one of my favourite Wolves games.

I'll tell you right now that Alan's understanding of concussion and it's protocols is streets ahead of most football fans.
Hopefully the team will take yesterday as a lesson that soldiering on after a hit like that is detrimental to the player and the team.

You don't do anybody any good when your head as been rung so badly you can't clear a ball dropping onto your foot.

Hopefully the team will take yesterday as a lesson that soldiering on after a hit like that is detrimental to the player and the team.

You don't do anybody any good when your head as been rung so badly you can't clear a ball dropping onto your foot.
I'm staggered we left him on given the Raul injury.

I'll tell you right now that Alan's understanding of concussion and it's protocols is streets ahead of most football fans.
It's was more to with how players themselves react. Nothing to do with Alan's knowledge of protocols in fairness.

I think if we'd have finished the game with 11 men, we could easily have scored several more goals and the conversation would have been about how good Trincao was. Up until the red, the way we were playing out from the back and through their press, without resorting to long balls was excellent.

When Raul got sent off I wasn't overly worried about us seeing the game out, Leeds has offered virtually nothing to suggest they'd be able to break us down until that point. We'd nearly got a point away at Man City when we were down to ten men for longer, so I had every confidence we'd see it out.

I can understand the frustration with Lage for not bringing on a striker sooner, but to be honest I don't think it really would have made much of a difference. I don't think Silva is capable of bringing down long balls and holding it up. I can only assume Lage was thinking that the players would continue to try and play out as they had been up until that point. Had they done that and not panicked, I think there could have been more goals for us, as Leeds were still all over the place defensively right until the end.

As it was our defence absolutely shit themselves and gifted Leeds three goals. I was really disappointed with Saiss last night, if he wasn't on the pitch we'd probably have won that quite comfortably. Think that might be the last time we see him for a while.

I'm not hopeful of us getting into Europe now, but if we can carry on playing like we did when we had 11 men, upgrade at CB and get a CF who can hold the ball up, I think the long term prospects actually quite quite bright, with the talent we've got in the squad.

Last edited:
Back