• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2 - Blues 0 the second gear verdict thread

2017/18: Newcastle - 10th with five games to go
2016/17: Burnley - 16th
2015/16: Bournemouth - 16th
2014/15: Leicester - 14th
2013/14: Cardiff - 20th
2012/13: Reading - 19th
2011/12: QPR - 17th
2010/11: Newcastle - 12th
2009/10: Wolves - 15th
2008/9: West Brom - 20th

Burnley, Bournemouth and Leicester all finished (or will finish) significantly higher in season two. Ditto Newcastle in the first of those spells.

I'd be happy enough with just staying up, if I'm honest.

I just want to be able to enjoy watching us in the Premier League.

Under Mick, bless him, I spent most games nervously hoping we wouldn't concede. We had short spells (mainly in the second season) where looked like a reasonable team but under Nuno we won't be scrapping to survive.

We have bigger ambitions than that and Nuno will stick to his 'idea' as he likes to call it. Which I am thankful for!

With the first game of our second season against stoke in the sunshine I really thought we were going to kick on - we were attacking and looked good with Fletcher up front. It was pretty much all downhill from then on.

I wouldn't, we're already better than a good chunk of the teams who will survive this year and we'll have bigger ambitions than them in the transfer market as well.

If we end up finishing below the likes of Swansea, Bournemouth, Crystal Palace, Huddersfield, Watford and West Ham (assuming none of them go through a magical, dramatic improvement over the course of the summer) then we haven't done very well.

We are a much better and talented team than under Mick, if we do it properly we can be in the top 10 maybe

Also 20/1 top 6 finish. Again, I think that is a stretch in our first season, but 20/1? Should be about 10/1 in my view. When Reading won with 106pts I think they finished 8th the following season, without significant strengthening.

Yeah, top 6 is probably getting too carried away. I wouldn't fancy us to beat any of the big 6 over a bedding-in season, even with summer signings (although it's not impossible, of course), but when you look at the bottom half of the table today - you have to get to 7th before anyone's managed more than 50 points. That's just ridiculous. I'm really confident we can finish above the present 11-17 and the promoted sides, in which case we just need to better one of the present 7-10 (Burnley, Leicester, Everton, Newcastle) to finish top half. Realistically, we're looking at being in the top 4 of the 14 'also rans', so you can see why the bookies have us odds-against, but I'd expect Fosun to be setting that as a minimum target, and I'd expect them to achieve it, too.

Also 20/1 top 6 finish. Again, I think that is a stretch in our first season, but 20/1? Should be about 10/1 in my view. When Reading won with 106pts I think they finished 8th the following season, without significant strengthening.

Did you mean 100/1?

With the first game of our second season against stoke in the sunshine I really thought we were going to kick on - we were attacking and looked good with Fletcher up front. It was pretty much all downhill from then on.

Sunshine? Seem to remember it being torrential.

Yeah I remember it being a nice day. Jones freekick was class. We played well that day, van Damme looked like a top signing at left midfield albeit!

Fulham at home the year after when we made it two wins out of two at the start of the season I was convinced we would finish upper-mid table. That was a really good team performance. Oh how wrong I was.

Yeah I remember it being a nice day. Jones freekick was class. We played well that day, van Damme looked like a top signing at left midfield albeit!

Fulham at home the year after when we made it two wins out of two at the start of the season I was convinced we would finish upper-mid table. That was a really good team performance. Oh how wrong I was.

2 wins 1 draw and top of the league for 3 hours! Baggies started like that this season too.

Which thread are we discussing gambling on? Bet 365 have paid out on Wolves winning the league for anyone who had a bet with them

Which thread are we discussing gambling on? Bet 365 have paid out on Wolves winning the league for anyone who had a bet with them

I'm rich! A whole £22, plus the £6 I won for achieving promotion, the £3 I've invested!

I put about £10 on us to win the league after the pre season performances, for once I am getting a return on the investment! Only about £110-120 or so though, state monopoly thingy offering shitty odds...

Back