• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2 - Blues 0 the second gear verdict thread

Parkins left foot

'Quirk's Gay Game Winner'
Reaction score
Went ahead - then controlled the game & played in second gear after the goal went in

Thank you to Ruddy for the early double contribution which was important

Costa given MoTM, but thought that Saiss ran him close - a very good performance by him once B'ham decided that the only way to deal with Neves was to kick him

The title is ours :easy:

only a handful of bellends ran on the pitch, booed by the south bank and rightly so. Lovely celebrations at the end.

Cav looked alright at the end not sure what the problem was with him it looked like hamstring at the time.

MOTM Costa

Was just about to post "why oh why do we sit on a one goal lead" when we got the second.:icon_biggrin: I think Costa deserved the MoM and as previously said Saiss ran him a close second. I thought the ref was too lenient first half, should have controlled the game better and given our players more protection. I`m glad there wasn`t a pitch invasion allowing our lads to celebrate this great achievement.

Impressed with Leo today. Thought he had a bit of energy back today. Some lovely touches to play in doc and others. Just wish he had a bit more pace to follow up.

Costa MoM for me, Saiss looking good again, Boly oozing class - has a great understanding with Jota. As a team it was really just too easy. Derby or not some of those Blues tactics were cynical, the amount of times they got away with leaving a foot in on Neves and Jota was ridiculous. Big pat on the back for all our fans whose support was again superb and heeded the appeals to stay off the pitch.

The definition of complete control and professional performance, even to the point it was slightly dull as we passed it back and across the pitch in our own half.

I felt we were a bit lacking up front - brum’s 6 man defence neutralised our wingbacks (until doherty’s superb assist), which meant we needed more from the front three. costa had some good moments, but Jota didn’t achieve much and Bonantini was his usual cant be arsed, trotting around contributing nothing self (bar one pass for Saiss and being available for throw ins obvs).

Birmingham were almost devoid of quality, reduced to scrapping and kicking our players, particularly Neves (and I was glad when we subbed him for his own protection) - but still brought some excellent saves out of Ruddy, who must have been in the thinking for man of the match.

Anyway - three points from a derby game, no major injuries from playing the bunch of cloggers and only a point needed now for the title - it’s been a good week!

Bonantini was his usual cant be arsed, trotting around contributing nothing self (bar one pass for Saiss and being available for throw ins obvs).

Just been on the matchday thread and apparently you based this on the Sky live text :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

No, watched the game on sky - used the sky app to see if i’d missed anything, but apparently not!

Leo is not the sort of player watching on TV gives you a good sense off, he makes clever off the ball runs and opens space out for other player. You can't see that on TV.

I thought everyone played well today, and that's becoming the norm this season. Really pleased to see Helder look so dangerous. Jota looked more like his itself, Saiss was excellent and Ruddy made s couple of good saves.

Some very good touches by Bonatini (I have no idea what game PQ was watching) and I was really hoping he'd break his goal drought.

Overall, a professional, controlled and- dare I say it - Wolves-esque performance. Champions.

Leo is not the sort of player watching on TV gives you a good sense off, he makes clever off the ball runs and opens space out for other player. You can't see that on TV.

I think it annoys me more as we have a genuine talent in MGW on the bench who needs experience and we’re passing that up in favour of a nothing merchant who won’t be here next season. Or if we wanted experience on the pitch we have Afobe who is miles sharper. Putting Leo on can only be sympathy, and it’s a waste.

Maybe I just have higher expectations for a wolves striker - goals or assists, or maybe just winning some headers, or posing difficulties for the defence - I’m not sure why he gets such an easy ride with ‘some nice touches’ or ‘available for throw ins’... maybe it’s because he’s pretty...

They're different players though. Leo is the only player we have who can do what he does, drop deep and bring other players into play - he was essential to our pre-xmas style and form and we have missed him massively. Afobe is good, but his first touch just isn't there and MGW is more of a cav type player.

I think it annoys me more as we have a genuine talent in MGW on the bench who needs experience and we’re passing that up in favour of a nothing merchant who won’t be here next season. Or if we wanted experience on the pitch we have Afobe who is miles sharper. Putting Leo on can only be sympathy, and it’s a waste.

Maybe I just have higher expectations for a wolves striker - goals or assists, or maybe just winning some headers, or posing difficulties for the defence - I’m not sure why he gets such an easy ride with ‘some nice touches’ or ‘available for throw ins’... maybe it’s because he’s pretty...
Leo plays centrally as a striker, MGW is at the moment an IF so not really comparable. I suppose you could argue the first sub should have been Afobe then MGW afterwards but then Blues were sitting very deep at the time so perhaps Nuno felt Afobe sitting off the shoulder wouldn't work as well at that time.

I think (hope) we will see MGW more involved in the last few games, I also hope to see Norris, Hause, Phil and perhaps even Mir given some time so we can assess their development.

None of this should be Leo's fault, he came on and did well for the most part in the role he was asked to play.

Some terrific stats from today.

Possession: 76-24
Passes: 843-244
Passing accuracy: 91-68

Blues only managed 100 passes in the 2nd half.

Just thankful we won't have to play them again anytime soon

Leo plays centrally as a striker, MGW is at the moment an IF so not really comparable. I suppose you could argue the first sub should have been Afobe then MGW afterwards but then Blues were sitting very deep at the time so perhaps Nuno felt Afobe sitting off the shoulder wouldn't work as well at that time.

I think (hope) we will see MGW more involved in the last few games, I also hope to see Norris, Hause, Phil and perhaps even Mir given some time so we can assess their development.

None of this should be Leo's fault, he came on and did well for the most part in the role he was asked to play.

Leo came on for cav, I’d have been happy with MGW coming on as a like for like replacement.

I’d definately like to see him get a start or two in the last few games. I’d have liked to have seen more of Hause and Norris this season too, but Ruddys done pretty well, and Bennett has amazed me.

Leo came on for cav, I’d have been happy with MGW coming on as a like for like replacement.

I’d definately like to see him get a start or two in the last few games. I’d have liked to have seen more of Hause and Norris this season too, but Ruddys done pretty well, and Bennett has amazed me.
Couldn't agree more on Bennett, he has been a massive surprise this season. Great signing on a free.

Back