• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-0 Crystal Palace: Verdict Thread

The Bear

Euro 2012 PTG Champion
Staff member
Reaction score

Solid if uninspiring performance, first 20 mins aside when we were all over them. The pen at the end came at the perfect time to stop any last minute fingernails being bitten off.

People say we were insipid for most of the game. I think we were just calm and controlled, and defended when we needed to. Ultimately Palace didn't create too much that we didn't give them with daft mistakes.

Another home win, another clean sheet. Magic stuff from Julen. Turned Molineux into a real fortress since he came in (Bournemouth and Leeds aside.....).

Dawson MOTM. Absolute warrior and just about brought Ayew to tears at times.

Last edited:
Delighted with the result and current points total considering our position on Boxing Day.

People say we were insipid for most of the game. I think we were just calm and controlled, and defended when we needed to. Ultimately Palace didn't create too much that we didn't give them with daft mistakes.
This is kind of the point though - we do make those mistakes. A lot. And worse ones than tonight. Playing like that, as we've seen more than enough times, just invites trouble. 9/10 times, maybe more than that, we don't get away with it.

Tonight we did. Ultimately we get 3 points, probably didn't deserve them, but sometimes it goes that way. We should be safe, which is what matters at end of t'day.

Will be interesting to see what we do now. There are quite a few who should really be playing for their futures, unless JL has already made his mind up.

When this game comes up in DW's Palace trivia in a few years I am *not* going to remember it.

First half an hour we looked good, even though we struggled to carve out clear chances from the very good areas we got into. Just think we do lack a bit of speed of thought in opposition territory. Second half there wasn't really much intention to score, I don't like inviting pressure as it seems to undo things as often as it works, but it worked today. I don't love it as a mentality though tbh. Big three points.

Daws man of the match, followed by Lemina and Costa. Hwang shit, Nunes didn't see enough ball.

1st half we were alright, some decent possession but not a massive threat. 2nd half we defended like Spartans, put our bodies on the line and rode our luck a bit (3 clichés in 1 sentence achievement unlocked). At times it wasn't pretty and we still have a tendency to panic and lack a bit of composure when we need it.

Fair play to Neves, it felt like he willed us to that win today: he blocked, he tackled, he harried, and fought for everything. MOTM, with honourable mentions to Dawson, Semedo and Costa.

We still don't create enough going forward.

All about the result, for me. That win means we’ll have PL football next season. Have to laugh that it was a pen and an own goal.

Lemina MOTM for me. Was absolutely everywhere.

Disappointed with Gomes getting booked (and therefore banned), and Toti is now also suspended so it’ll be Hugo again v Brighton (which I’m fine with).

Can’t say I’m a fan of the “defend like it’s the last minute” from the 46th minute tactics, but we managed to see it out and that’s all that matters.

All about the result, for me. That win means we’ll have PL football next season.

Lemina MOTM for me. Was absolutely everywhere.

Disappointed with Gomes getting booked (and therefore banned), and Toti is now also suspended so it’ll be Hugo again v Brighton (which I’m fine with).

Can’t say I’m a fan of the “defend like it’s the last minute” from the 46th minute tactics, but we managed to see it out and that’s all that matters.
Are they suspended?

From GW 33 the level for suspension is 15 cards isn't it?

Just following on while I think about it - we don't have some divine right to stroll about the place and beat teams. Palace have been in very good form so if you pull back a bit, it's a very good result against an in-form team.

Probably easier ways to do it though.

Are they suspended?

From GW 33 the level for suspension is 15 cards isn't it?
That's what I thought. The cutoff for 10 yellows was definitely the Leicester game. I thought that applied to the 5 bookings too.

Semedo was on 9 before Leicester and needed to avoid a booking or he was suspended. After that he was safe and the number for suspension is 15

That's what I thought. The cutoff for 10 yellows was definitely the Leicester game. I thought that applied to the 5 bookings too.
5 yellow cut was GW19. You are on 4 at that cut off, you need to hit 10 for a suspension.

That interview didn't end well :LOL: Smith was trying to ask Lop how he finds the black country accent, and I'm sure Lop basically thought he said "your English is shit and I can't understand your accent"

Back