• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-0 Brentford: Verdict Thread

There was a game in Germany at the weekend where the ref faced a penalty call and booked the lad for diving, before then having another look and overturning it giving the penalty, which they scored. And then the exact same sequence happened again, with the same player! It was the perfect example though of a human error being corrected. It was also handled with much amusement by both ref and player, which was quite warming to see. Can't be arsed to look the clip up obviously, and not strictly relevant but hey ho

At the game, from the North Bank, I was surprised the ref didn't give it, when var didn't I was incredulous. Seen it a few times since but not in depth and while it wasn't as 'cast iron' as I first thought, feel it should have been given.

The best view, is the VAR footage as shown on the highlights.
Toti, clips the ball away from Reya, and is hit after the ball has moved away from him.
Penalty, no argument from me.

Correct. I’m more in the camp of say he is exactly the same for the next 7 games, then the option of him staying isn’t a bad one. If he reverts to his previous for the remainder, than absolutely not.

It’s just one game, but it’s the most complete forward performance that has been seen in a long time for us.

Helped by the formation change, and the fact he’s been here now for a period of time he actually seems pretty fit now, massive difference to when he arrived.

Again though, it’s one game, and if he reverts to previous incarnation than absolutely not.

He played well last two games. If people are purring at how good lemina and Gomes have been last 2 games, same must be said for Diego.
Exactly this. It's no coincidence that his best run of form coincides with him having a run in the team, in a formation and shape that actually allows us to attack the opponents box. Lets see if he can keep it up over the remainder of the season.

One for @Deutsch Wolf:

The American forward from Union Berlin? Kind of a lump but very respectable record in Germany last I looked. Can’t remember his name for the life of me atm.

Costa was excellent on Saturday and had his most effective game for us by far. For me though it's because we got players [or Cunha and Sarabia to be precise] closer to the main striker and didn't have ineffective 'wingers/wide forwards' 40 yards away. It's happened before this season with Raul as the CF (Fulham springs to mind) and makes the role of the CF completely different and much more effective than say Cunha at Forest, where the best forward in the world wouldn't have had an impact.

Exactly this. It's no coincidence that his best run of form coincides with him having a run in the team, in a formation and shape that actually allows us to attack the opponents box. Lets see if he can keep it up over the remainder of the season.
Yeah, if he doesn’t, it’s a total non starter of a convo.

A lot will depend on what lop wants to. He will have come armed with a list of targets I’m sure

I keep reading people saying Costa "can only play for 20-30 minutes". He played for 75 minutes at the weekend, looked sharper & fitter than he has done since arriving, was involved in pretty much everything positive we did & at least 4 lovely one touch passages of play.

People are just seeing what they want to see or have already made their mind up.

Obviously if we can go out and sign two ready-made top flight goalscorers (ignoring our recent hit-rate with forwards, lolz), Sasa comes back and hits the ground running & Fabio does a U-Turn and decides he wants to come back and fight for a place here then the situation changes. But given the information to hand right now, I'm offering him another year.
Not one single PL side has 4 strikers for 1 place up front.

We're not about to do it either.

One for @Deutsch Wolf:

The American forward from Union Berlin? Kind of a lump but very respectable record in Germany last I looked. Can’t remember his name for the life of me atm.

Their former centre forward playa for Forest now and scored at a better rate. He's not very good though.

I wasn’t convinced, but the more I’ve seen it I can’t see how it’s not?

It’s that bloody blurred line of ‘clear and obvious’ Ey
'Clear and obvious' needs to be binned. Get rid of that and there would be much less debate.
All it does is let the ref at the time off the hook when they've made an incorrect call. It's actually detrimental to the ref.
Far better to say 'viewing the incident live, I thought.......but on review I accept that it was/wasn't....
Either don't show replays at all and go with the refs call live or check all marginal calls with VAR and correct them.

Their former centre forward playa for Forest now and scored at a better rate. He's not very good though.
I’ve seen Pefok enough to know that he’s at least better than Anowiyi (low bar obv).

If Costa plays at that level for the remaining 7 games then I don’t see how a new deal can’t at least be discussed.

The finances are chicken feed when you factor in we’re already spending way more than that on several players who are contributing fuck all on or off the pitch.

Whether he would want to stay for the Dan Bentley role I don’t know. But after years of saying “no one would want to come and sit on the bench (stands)”, we could have someone cheap who might actually do that.
He’d be no use in that role as if he doesn’t play his sharpness levels will plummet. If my memory serves me correctly the season before we signed Oleg Luzhny he played 30 games for Arsenal and in his last game for them he was MOTM in the FA Cup final. By the time he was needed by us his fitness had gone and he looked dreadful. I think Costa playing a bit-part role would be similar.

I’ve seen Pefok enough to know that he’s at least better than Anowiyi (low bar obv).
Had a look at his stats and he's got 4 goals and 3 assists in 25 games but he seems a bit part player at the moment.

However his rate for his two previous clubs is
Stade Reims; 25 goals and 10 assists in 75 games and
Young Boys; 42 goals and 9 assists in 88 games it's just whether or not you think he would adjust to the extra demands of the Premier League!

Hard to say. Only really seen enough to know he’s a beast physically (for all the good that’s done Altidore and Dike), and naturally any American playing even a small role in a side near the top of a European league will set tongues wagging here.

'Clear and obvious' needs to be binned. Get rid of that and there would be much less debate.
All it does is let the ref at the time off the hook when they've made an incorrect call. It's actually detrimental to the ref.
Far better to say 'viewing the incident live, I thought.......but on review I accept that it was/wasn't....
Either don't show replays at all and go with the refs call live or check all marginal calls with VAR and correct them.
Totally agree. It also makes referees not make decision because VAR will make it for them. So if they’re unsure, they will just not make a decision and if it’s not clear and obvious, nothing happens…

I’d much rather the ref makes a decision, then if it’s touch and go they can go to the monitor, have a look and change there decision if they get it wrong.

I guess the issue will be you’d then see potetially an increase in Penalties being given, then not given, which will give them more grief from players and fans maybe?

Totally agree. It also makes referees not make decision because VAR will make it for them. So if they’re unsure, they will just not make a decision and if it’s not clear and obvious, nothing happens…

I’d much rather the ref makes a decision, then if it’s touch and go they can go to the monitor, have a look and change there decision if they get it wrong.

I guess the issue will be you’d then see potetially an increase in Penalties being given, then not given, which will give them more grief from players and fans maybe?
This is exactly what I think, without VAR, ref probably gives that but he knows it’ll get checked so doesn’t. Therefore going with the on field decision makes no sense at all.

Leeds are pish. Swear we would've equalised without Johnny's red card

Missed three really easy chances (Neto, Semedo and Raul), scored two and had an obvious penalty turned away. And we weren't even any good.

It was the Neves sub rather than the red card imo.

We lost and they are the worst team I've seen this year

Back