• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-0 Brentford: Verdict Thread

I’d be happy with him making 10 min cameos next season. He’s certainly helped the squad morale after Lage gutted it of winners. Not sure about 50k p/w though.

I’m not adverse to keeping him if he keeps those level of performances. However it’s not high on my list, and having good enough options without Costa should be what we’re aiming for.

He’s not the player he was, but I wouldn’t say he’s ‘that far over the hill he’s half way back down’ either. Depends on your description of over the hill I guess

Depends on what the realistic ambition and budget is next season.

Doubt Lopetegui has come in with dreams of battling for 10th-17th however, and while Costa works in a makeshift sense right now to knit everything together (better than Raul has unfortunately), I can't see him being a serious option next season.

We need forwards who score goals with some regularity: to assess whether Sasa and Fabio can realistically do that and also add to the forward line with a proper striker option to compliment Cunha imo

Doubt Lopetegui has come in with dreams of battling for 10th-17th however, and while Costa works in a makeshift sense right now to knit everything together (better than Raul has unfortunately), I can't see him being a serious option next season.

We need forwards who score goals with some regularity: to assess whether Sasa and Fabio can realistically do that and also add to the forward line with a proper striker option to compliment Cunha imo
In a nutshell

His agent is an absolute magician. Think he was on 30k a week in Brazil, doesn't play for 6 months with zero interest and he gets him a 20k bump.
It's Mendes, I don't think we get involved in negotiating with his clients

I’d be happy with him making 10 min cameos next season. He’s certainly helped the squad morale after Lage gutted it of winners. Not sure about 50k p/w though.
Agreed and to put it in context isn't that 40% of a Trincao ?

Pretty much exactly what I said and where I am, tbh. Sasa is still an unknown in terms of quality at this level and fitness. We don't know where Fabio's head is at. And we don't know how much money is (or will be) available due to how much we've spent this season. If (or when) Raul leaves, it creates a space for Costa for another year. We need characters like him in the dressing room - especially after Lage stripped it of all the similar profiles.

Pretty much exactly what I said and where I am, tbh. Sasa is still an unknown in terms of quality at this level and fitness. We don't know where Fabio's head is at. And we don't know how much money is (or will be) available due to how much we've spent this season. If (or when) Raul leaves, it creates a space for Costa for another year. We need characters like him in the dressing room - especially after Lage stripped it of all the similar profiles.
That's assuming Lop doesn't have his own targets for that forward role. Which he likely will.

It's a no from me - pleased that he's contributing, delighted he scored on Saturday and very glad to see the rapport Costa has with the fans, but we need to be aiming for far better who can contribute for longer.

We've had a pretty shit last couple of years really. Under Lop, we need to be aiming far higher than a relegation battle spurred on by an admittedly popular character, but one who isn't cheap to keep around the place and ultimately isn't good enough for where we want to be.

I agree with the importance of keeping good characters to ensure harmony within the squad, but I'd like to see us find that from within the squad we have, or to bring in individuals who can help with that. And I've FAR more faith we'll find these players with Lopetegui in charge than we would have prior to his appointment.

It's shown how poor things have been that we're discussing keeping on a 35 year old who has only scored 1 goal for us since arriving 7 months ago.

That's assuming Lop doesn't have his own targets for that forward role. Which he likely will.
Yep. But we all know how much we'd have to spend to bring in a top centre forward - let alone two. I just don't see us spending that much, but none of us know with any certainty so it's guesswork at this point.

I'm in the 'no' camp too. He's just too old, and this version of himself isn't consistently good enough to properly influence games, whether it's 20 minutes at the end or from the start. The fact that Cunha isn't a striker, Sasa is broken and Fabio is still developing shouldn't come into it; if Lop thinks we need a forward (which he do)he should buy a starting one, and use either Sasa or Fabio as the bench/rotation options. Tbh I'd be saying goodbye to Joao too, unless he's going to be happy going from £100k to £25-30k a week. I don't want a bench full of people who's only function is 20-30 minutes to see a game out or offer something a little different, I want bench full of people with the mental desire and physical ability to be able to come on, make a difference, and then make themselves unbenchable for the next game and offer genuine competition for starting places

I'm not totally against it but would be surprised if JL isn't looking at bringing in his own striker choice, Sasa is an unknown quantity, let alone his injury problems. Fabio too, we still don't really know if he can cut it at this level or where his head is.
Doubt Julen has come here to fuck about just surviving in the league.

Yep. But we all know how much we'd have to spend to bring in a top centre forward - let alone two. I just don't see us spending that much, but none of us know with any certainty so it's guesswork at this point.
Doubt we'll sign 2 strikers, I'd be surprised if Lopetegui has come here without some confirmation of funds if we stay up.

I like Costa. Even though for the best part of his time here he has been not that much on the pitch, off the pitch he seems to be superb. As mentioned, his character has filled a huge gap and he has also helped the likes of Cunha and Gomes as they settle into a new Country/League. Also a lot of comments from the U21 lads on how he has been helping them as well.
His fitness levels do look superb right now and probably a combination of his hard work since arriving and the new regime finally paying off. (pre World Cup our players looked like asthma sufferers after 65 minutes)

I wouldn't unhappy if Lop decided he wanted to keep him for another 12 months, however I will be surprised if it happens.

Just happy right now, a move that was forced upon us through a bit of bad luck and poor planning over the previous 12 months won't be remembered for being a disaster

Last edited:
I also predict that Cunha is going to be a really good signing for us in the medium/long term - we always look better with him in the side, but as our 'goals for' total has shown for far too long now, we're never going to see the best of him without a decent centre forward playing with him.

He's something we've not had for a while though - someone who can create, someone who can link the midfield and attack. I like him.

I'm pleased with the players Lop has brought in since his arrival - I don't think we'd be as high in the table without these signings, and I think he'll be able to attract even better players in the summer (assuming we stay up, which we damn well should do now!)

The highest priority should be getting in a goalscorer who can compliment Cunha and I'd be very surprised if the club think differently!

I also predict that Cunha is going to be a really good signing for us in the medium/long term - we always look better with him in the side, but as our 'goals for' total has shown for far too long now, we're never going to see the best of him without a decent centre forward playing with him.

He's something we've not had for a while though - someone who can create, someone who can link the midfield and attack. I like him.

I'm pleased with the players Lop has brought in since his arrival - I don't think we'd be as high in the table without these signings, and I think he'll be able to attract even better players in the summer (assuming we stay up, which we damn well should do now!)

The highest priority should be getting in a goalscorer who can compliment Cunha and I'd be very surprised if the club think differently!

Jeff Shi... Hold my beer

I wouldn't say Cunha creates a lot himself. However his movement off the ball and interplay have allowed us to create a lot more overloads than we have for a good while. Think he's a very good footballer and agree that we'll see more from him when we get players that compliment him better.

I keep reading people saying Costa "can only play for 20-30 minutes". He played for 75 minutes at the weekend, looked sharper & fitter than he has done since arriving, was involved in pretty much everything positive we did & at least 4 lovely one touch passages of play.

People are just seeing what they want to see or have already made their mind up.

Obviously if we can go out and sign two ready-made top flight goalscorers (ignoring our recent hit-rate with forwards, lolz), Sasa comes back and hits the ground running & Fabio does a U-Turn and decides he wants to come back and fight for a place here then the situation changes. But given the information to hand right now, I'm offering him another year.

Back