• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-0 Crystal Palace: Verdict Thread

giphy.gif

It wasn't pretty last night but at this stage you just take the points.

Very much doubt that many people would have said on Christmas Day that we'd be essentially safe with over a month of the season to play. We've got a very, very good manager.

I am excited to see what Lopetegui can do with a full pre-season behind him. I really hope the board continue to back him, because I think he's been limited in the exact way he wants to play because some of our squad simply aren't good enough to play the way he wants.

Lopetegui took on a squad bottom of the table, short on confidence, short of goals and with gaping areas of deficiencies in the squad. Even with a certain amount of trial and error with regards to systems, introducing new players and without a firing centre forward he has achieved a points per game tally on par with the peak seasons under Nuno in 2018/29 2019/20. He has benefitted from large investment but it will exciting to see what he can do with a few additions in the summer.

Very much doubt that many people would have said on Christmas Day that we'd be essentially safe with over a month of the season to play. We've got a very, very good manager.
We discussed this on the way home last night and I was in the minority, but I think Lopetegui becomes a serious option or comes into serious consideration for many clubs this summer. There are already several vacancies, more will come and the filling of those roles will create additional ones. I can see potential for the likes of Roma, Milan, Sporting, West Ham, maybe Spurs and others giving him a decision to make.
No way is it a given that he's here next season. He has form for walking.

A quick word of appreciation for Joachim Andersen who I normally rate quite highly, but what a farce of an OG :D

Tries to flinch out of the way of the ball for reasons best known to himself and still manages to put it in off the bar to give the keeper no chance.

When we go 1-0 up at home now I'm very confident we'll go on to win. It's basically the reverse of Lage when we conceded first.

We discussed this on the way home last night and I was in the minority, but I think Lopetegui becomes a serious option or comes into serious consideration for many clubs this summer. There are already several vacancies, more will come and the filling of those roles will create additional ones. I can see potential for the likes of Roma, Milan, Sporting, West Ham, maybe Spurs and others giving him a decision to make.
West Ham aren't a bigger draw than us, especially with uncertainty over their ownership. Levy tends to appoint managers who are unattached (Pochettino is an exception) as he understands the price of everything and the value of nothing.

I think Lopetegui would have to get an extraordinarily generous offer to leave England, he has come here because it is hands down the best league in the world.

2 years at Porto,
2 years Spain coach,
3 years Seville
If that’s form for walking, I’m happy with that.

He'd be the first Wolves manager in the history of the club to do that.

I can't see it's at all likely at this stage.

A quick word of appreciation for Joachim Andersen who I normally rate quite highly, but what a farce of an OG :D

Tries to flinch out of the way of the ball for reasons best known to himself and still manages to put it in off the bar to give the keeper no chance.

When we go 1-0 up at home now I'm very confident we'll go on to win. It's basically the reverse of Lage when we conceded first.
he deserved that, for doing 2-0 hand gestures at the crowd last season when palace were running down the clock (imo of course)

The only way he walks is if the promises he was given at the time of taking the job are not kept. He's managed at the highest level and could well have sat on his backside until a job at a higher ranked club became available but he didn't and I'm hoping that he took on the role here to prove that he could be a relative success in the Premier League. Hopefully he'll prove that to be the case.

Random one. Why were sections of the crowd getting very agitated when the defence/Sa were passing it amongst each other harmlessly under zero press and whilst we were winning? Who are these weirdos?

Random one. Why were sections of the crowd getting very agitated when the defence/Sa were passing it amongst each other harmlessly under zero press and whilst we were winning? Who are these weirdos?
Cos wim Wolves aye we? Gorra gerritforrad, don't you remember tthe 50s at all?

Cos wim Wolves aye we? Gorra gerritforrad, don't you remember tthe 50s at all?
This was massively the vibe in the Billy Quiet last night, the agitation and audible anger was quite shocking to be honest.

Then you look around and notice that the majority are in their 60s, 70s and 80s and come from an era where this "fannying about with it" just didn't happen.

Although I did laugh when Sa just hoofed it long a couple of times to no one and that got moaned at too.

Funny bunch.

On the red card debate. Referee made a judgement call, VAR should be scrapped. The end.

Elsewhere, that performance was up there with some of the mind numbingly boring treats we got with Hoddle. Also, half the team that started will either not be here or not starters next season.

Sa, Semedo, Dawson, Kilman, Neves, Costa...About half the bench will be out too.

Also, half the team that started will either not be here or not starters next season.

Sa, Semedo, Dawson, Kilman, Neves, Costa...About half the bench will be out too.
I doubt it, for one, finding buyers for all of those wouldn't be easy.

Lop hasn't come here for a 6 month firefighting role, he has come here to create something. Survival is his first objective before he can really get to work. He has already spoken of being here for a long time, he has bought a house in the area and moved his wife over too, something that none of our previous foreign managers did, not even Nuno. Stay up and Lop's going nowhere

This was massively the vibe in the Billy Quiet last night, the agitation and audible anger was quite shocking to be honest.

Then you look around and notice that the majority are in their 60s, 70s and 80s and come from an era where this "fannying about with it" just didn't happen.

Although I did laugh when Sa just hoofed it long a couple of times to no one and that got moaned at too.

Funny bunch.
I just about fall into that age group but like to think I've moved on a bit.
Tbf that second half was a tough watch unless you enjoy a backs to the wall heroic defensive display and not much in the way of attacking play. That said we were impressive at the back (bar the shanked clearances) and got the job done.

You're off your rocker if you think 10+ players are going to be sold in the summer, 6 of them straight from the first team currently!

Lopetegui is here for the long haul. He might get a couple of offers, but I think he'll be conscious of when he gave us his verbal agreement and then walked to manage the Spain team. He will want to rectify that and give us his all to build his own team and legacy here.

I think there will be quite a lot of turnover though.

Adama, Raul, Jonny nailed on to leave. One of Neves and Moutinho is definitely going, quite possibly both. Can see Podence and Neto going, RAN who knows and then the Costa discussion.

Realistically it’s only Neves of those who universally people will be bothered about leaving from a football aspect. And Costa is the only other one who is actually being used regularly

Back