• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-0 Crystal Palace: Verdict Thread

Kenny is correct above.

Serious Foul Play over-rides any Double Jeopardy. That is just there purely for the context of a penalty given with DOGSO where a player is cynically stopping a goalscoring chance. In that situation if an attempt is made to win the ball then it's a yellow and pen, not a red.

A bad and dangerous challenge always results in a red card, regardless of whether it's a penalty as well.

No issue with Costa being here next year if his contract etc is representative. Think we have got something seriously wrong if Costa is our starting striker mind.

Depends on what Lopetegui wants to do with Sasa and Fabio really, if those two get a chance I doubt we'll see much of Costa at all. I'm not really a big fan of just having players around for morale.

Amazing that there have been this many posts debating what was an obvious red card. We won, who cares.

I might start sharing my knowledge of different kinds of cardboard boxes just to liven the thread up a bit.

For the reason I posted on the transfer thread last week I don't think we can afford to give him a slot as one of our 17 none UK players

Depends on what Lopetegui wants to do with Sasa and Fabio really, if those two get a chance I doubt we'll see much of Costa at all. I'm not really a big fan of just having players around for morale.
To fans team spirit isn't important as it isn't tangible to us, we don't really see it or experience it, but to players it's huge.

Not saying we should sign Costa purely to be a cheerleader, but his attitude and effect on morale are really important. As they were with Saiss, Ruddy and Coady.

And in an opposite way with twats like Johnson and O'Hara.

Unless Costa is still first choice, which he won't be, then it's pointless giving him another season.

I guess it’s worth noting that Fabio hasn’t had much of a look in at PSV since the international break so he might not be quite so desperate to go back there as he was a few weeks back

I guess it’s worth noting that Fabio hasn’t had much of a look in at PSV since the international break so he might not be quite so desperate to go back there as he was a few weeks back
Also worth noting that's the same pattern as happened at Anderlecht.
I hope our starting number 9 next season doesn't currently have a Wolves contract

Amazing that there have been this many posts debating what was an obvious red card. We won, who cares.

OK, the debate was coma-inducing, but it's worthy of a debate because it was obvious yet still wasn't given.

We don't see such leniency when it comes to Raul on Meslier or Lemina at Southampton, so why should Johnstone and Palace?

I hope our starting number 9 next season doesn't currently have a Wolves contract

Thanks and goodbye to Diego in the summer, sell Fabio while he has some kind of decent reputation, ease Sasa back in and buy a first choice number 9

Naturally it depends on those 2, plus if we sign another striker. If we don’t, and just recall Fabio and retain Sasa, I’d be keeping Costa.

I expect us to sign a number 9 in the summer however

For the reason I posted on the transfer thread last week I don't think we can afford to give him a slot as one of our 17 none UK players
This is also a fair point, unless the targets wouldn’t form part of the 17, or they’re anticipating a fair few players leaving

Do I think Fabio will be good enough to be the main man next season? No.
Will he be happy being back up? No.
Will anyone pay us more than half his fee? No.

Think we are going to have a bit of a problem on our hands.

Might have to loan him out again. Can always make a late decision on Costa towards end of transfer window.

I’m not sure that’s right - he was still starting games just being taken off around 70/75 as opposed to playing the full 90 from what I remember - fair to say his goal scoring tailed off with them though for sure

Fabio is still only 20 years old, which is ridiculously young - personally, I'm not writing him off just yet. He's got a lot of developing to do before we'll really know just how good he actually is.

Time will tell - and IMO it's still too early to predict.

Violent conduct is headbuts, punches, elbows. Serious foul play is bad tackles. Surely you know this Mark? Next thing you’ll be telling me a straight red for DOGSO is a 3 match ban.
Someone else started off with the term violent conduct as their justification for a red card, I just ran with their wording.

Kenny is correct above.

Serious Foul Play over-rides any Double Jeopardy. That is just there purely for the context of a penalty given with DOGSO where a player is cynically stopping a goalscoring chance. In that situation if an attempt is made to win the ball then it's a yellow and pen, not a red.

A bad and dangerous challenge always results in a red card, regardless of whether it's a penalty as well.

Be interested to see a source for this precedence, honestly can't find anything anywhere.

Probably because there are no circumstances in which Serious Foul Play doesn't result in a red card.
Double jeopardy does provide a loophole to avoid it, no wording I've seen explicitly says one overrides another.

Back