• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2 Bournemouth 0; The I hope their Chaiman is ok Verdict Thread

Even though it didn't feel like it, it was ultimately a comfortable win. They had lots of possession in the final third but couldn't really create anything.

We still give the ball away too sloppily but we also drive forwards with purpose rather than tip tap around 30 yards out. A real annoyance today was the amount of time we decided to just clear it upfield out of defence but never ever found any Wolves player and just kept giving it back to them.

The entire back 5 were great defensively today, especially Bennett who I think will just edge my MOTM ahead of Raul. So many well read interceptions and blocks. Impeccable positioning from him today.

Patricio's kicking today was awful! Other than goal kicks I don't remember him clearing the half way line once.

Costa was fairly dreadful other than the last 5-10 mins. Good assist though. And good finish from Cav after I thought he'd knocked it just too far in front of him. He must easily have the best goals per minute ratio of everyone now.

Good first time finish from Raul, made sure he got a good connection on it after it spun over to him. 5 goals and 5 assists is very good at this stage of the season and is ahead of where I thought he'd be in terms of output. Fair play to him. I'm still not sure whether we'd automatically want to take up our option at the end of the season. I guess it depends if we have other more high profile targets in mind.

A look at the table now is much more satisfying than the last time we were here (2nd season?) when we were at the top for about 24 hrs

Only 3 games in then & it didn't end that well - this time we are almost half a season in & only the 'monied rich' are above us - really didn't expect to be able to see this again

Tbf I think we are 'monied rich' too. Certainly don't think we would be here with Fosun's billions behind us.

Thought Jimenez was outstanding today. Held the ball up really well, and plenty of neat little touches to keep possession and bring others in.

Other than a spell in the middle of the 2nd half where there were a few aimless lumps clear in quick succession, I felt we were totally in control. Controlling the game while out of possession, Nuno-style, which explains the skewed possession stats.

I thought Neves and Moutinho were very good, and Saiss was excellent when he came on too. His contribution helped keep things as comfortable as they were for that last 10-15 mins when we managed the game brilliantly. Jonny was also superb.

Great performance all round!

Tbf I think we are 'monied rich' too. Certainly don't think we would be here with Fosun's billions behind us.

Probably true, but the press haven't really caught up with that yet so it clearly isn't the case

I kind of agree with this. I'm not sure we are really "best of the rest" except in name only. How many clubs outside of the "Big 6" could match us dollar for dollar? I don't know if any of them could.

Still have to spend it correctly, mind.

Just bumped into Ryan Bennett and Will Norris getting cans in for the train at Wolvo train station! Bennett is a very unassuming lad, looks about 12 in real life (albeit really tall) described the conditions today as "fucking awful", explained that he couldn't feel his feet at half time but that "you've just got to get on with it". Seemed a bit taken aback every time someone recognised him.

As for the game, I'm not sure if it's just that I'm freezing cold and pretty drenched, but that was hard work at times. We kept giving them the ball back and both of our goals came against the run of play. Jiminez my MOTM although Jota would have run him close as at half time.

Bournemouth didn't threaten too much but it was all a bit panic stations at the end there before we went down the other end and got our second.

Costa is devoid of confidence and his sliced shot off his right foot when he could have squared it to Raul or taken the shot with his left summed up where his head is at right now. He had a shot on target a bit later and set up Cav for the second but he's still struggling and it's a worry that he's playing with such low confidence.

Central midfield was a bit of a curate's egg. Outmuscled on second balls too often- which isn't entirely surprising given their size. If we aren't able to compete for second balls then we need to be more accurate with our first balls.

That said, it's a great result and we kept Bournemouth quiet. Up to 7th. Can't complain!

Agree with Bear on everything except Rui's kicking. I'm sure he cleared halfway at least once :icon_biggrin:

Bennett and Boly were both immense. Jonny looked comfortable after the first 20 or so as well.

Neves' passing was a bit wayward at times...again. But he put a huge shift in with some top defensive work. Moutinho as well was not flashy but did everything pretty well. He suits that advanced CM role as well, I think there's scope to play him, Neves and Saiss together tbf.

MGW was a bit unlucky with some of the stuff he tried but worked very hard. As I said the other week, I don't mind him trying stuff too much as its his natural game, and the last thing we want is for that to be coached out of him like a Joe Cole.

Jota was terrific while he was on and him going off definitely disrupted us. Hopefully it is just a dead leg as he looks fearless at the moment and he'll put the wind up anyone.

Costa improved as the game went on, to be fair to him. Still not great, or anywhere near his best, but hopefully he can take at least some confidence from it.

Side note: well done to folks singing for him when he did pick it up. I was moaning like everyone but its important to try and bump him up if we can. It might make a difference, you never know.

Raul was excellent, if maybe a touch too unselfish at points. But what a joy to have a #9 who is a true team player.

Bournemouth look a bit like we did a few games ago, something not quite there or clicking. But they'll be absolutely fine.

Piece of piss in the end. We won comfortably.

Fucking unbelievably, epically cold.

Oh I forgot, thanks to the steward who got me in after the ticket office managed to reprint me someone else's ticket, good job guys

Don't think it was hard fought at all tbh. I thought we controlled the game. Superb game management from the moment we scored up until the final whistle.

This. Don’t think there were any bad performances from anyone (maybe Costa bar the final stages of the game I suppose). A very good win against decent opposition who are struggling for confidence however.

Just bumped into Ryan Bennett and Will Norris getting cans in for the train at Wolvo train station!
It’s their Christmas party tonight.

I was 24 when we last won 3 consecutive games in the top division. I never thought I'd see it happen again.

Managed to get to my first game since Man City - cannot tell you how much it means to me.

I love this game and this team.

Helder Costa 2 assists in 2 games. If you think he was shit you don't know football. Don't even @ me.

Just a mention about Costa, I didn't think he looked decent at all but these stats suggest he created 3 chances

https://understat.com/match/9357

Are we all missing something?

No.

he's still a professional footballer, he's not out there tripping over his shoes. he did have a few good passes/crosses, as he does in many games, but that doesn't negate his overall performance where he frequently loses possession due to bad passing or being outmuscled/falling, or not being able to get a shot on goal even from 4 yards out.

In the matchday thread you'll see plenty of "xyz happened from the good cross of costa", etc... but you'll also see 2x as much "ffs costa". that's almost the most frustrating part, you see him have flashes of how we know he can play. he'll put in an excellent through ball to jota for a goal, only to fuck up a 5 yard pass 2 minutes later.

That stat doesn't account for chances missed, or opportunities compared to other players. Baseball (and basketball I think) has this stat, I wonder if there's some sort of calculation like that for futbol. Probably not. Not as easily data driven as some others.

Possibly says more about the matchday threads than anything else.

Costa seems to have flipped bizarrely, last two games perhaps his worst two performances of the season but at the same time it's the first time he's had any measurable output.

tredman, where did the matchday threads touch you? it's ok, this is a safe space. just point and we can let the healing begin.

FLK46_Truly_Me_Doll_74_Truly_Me_Boy_Doll_Light_Skin_Blonde_Hair_Blue_Eyes_1

Back