• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2 Bournemouth 0; The I hope their Chaiman is ok Verdict Thread

I was really pleased we beat bournemouth. they really frustrated me.
thought both teams struggled a bit for the first 15 mins. was probably down to the conditions. Jonny looked half a second off the pace, and even Boly looked a little less sure of himself. numerous misplassed passes abound. One exception was Jota, who was superb from the start.
we adapted to the conditions better, and controlled the game. bournemouth had a lot of possession, but got nowhere. they didn't create anything at all. we on the other hand got better each time we went forward.

difficult to score any player as less than 7 really. we were exceptionally well organised, and as aikiwolf has said Neves was everywhere, and won numerous tackles through the game. after the first 10 mins, the back 3 looked really solid. Jonny got better, Doherty had a good game, Neves and Moutinho had a lot more control than they have had in a few games, and 2nd half in particular Moutinho was great. His energy at the end, chasing across the entire pitch was superb.

Jota looked electric, really hope its nothing serious. Jiminez was fucking awesome, and I can't comprehend him not being motm. Gibbs White didn't quite get things going for him, bt his positioning is just so good, and he is constantly available. Watching him develop, with quality players around him is going to be a sheer joy.

Costa's half was strange. He struggled to make an impact, but the last 15 mins he was really involved. His head could've gone when he shot instead of crossing (he pushed the ball too wide for the shot, and should've crossed but didn't, and I;ll bet raul was pissed having run over half the length of the pitch!) but as someone mentioned the crowd sung his name, and his head didn't drop. He switched to the left and looked more threatening, having a good opportunity saved, then, in the closing minutes, when most expected him to run into the corner, he played an awesome first time pass into clear space for cav to run onto. Immediately prior, I was thinking I was close to getting to the end of my tether with him, but those 2 bits of play redeemed him.

Rui's kicking needs addressing. He started throwing it more. Again, that may have been down to the conditions, but it is a concern.

on bournemouth, there's gamesmanship, and then there's simple cheating. every free ick they tried t change the position and gain a few yards. Some of this was ridiculous, they moved a free kick in the first half about 5-6 yards towards the centre of the goal. I get people might try nicking a few feet at a throw in or something, but they were awful in taking it to an extreme, and had to be told repeatedly. some of the yards/positions they were moving the ball was simply fucking cheating. Thank fuck the ref seemed to see some of it.

Last on MOTD....

Seriously.

Was thinking 4th personally but on reflection not a huge amount of goalmouth action or real talking points so I can understand it in a way.

We can be last every week long as we win tbf.

Just a though, no mention of Diogo yet, had a superb 40 mins up until his hamstring went. Hope he isn't out too long, he was just glhitting form!

It didn't look like a foul from the Southbank, how did it look from the NB?

Looked like a red card from where we were.

Couldn't watch anything of the game as I'm in a weekend escapade in Bordeaux.

Very good victory to us though, brought us right into the top 8!

not that I think costa doesn't deserve credit for his assist, but people seem to be giving him a lot of credit for an assist that was quite frankly into wide open territory with literally no one else around. :icon_lol:

I've seen some criticism of the contract extension for Ryan Bennett. For me, it's well deserved and a good decision. Sure, he won't be out first choice RCB in two years' time but what a year and a half he'd had. We all expected him to be 5th or 6th choice CB in the Championship, so full credit to the player and the coaching staff.
And one historical note: five years ago this weekend we lost 0-2 to MK Dons in League One. Decent rate of progress since then...

not that I think costa doesn't deserve credit for his assist, but people seem to be giving him a lot of credit for an assist that was quite frankly into wide open territory with literally no one else around. :icon_lol:
I think it happens a lot in football where anything that works out well suddenly becomes great, fantastic, amazing or whatever when in reality it's often pretty standard. As you say Costa literally has half the pitch to play that ball into, Cavaleiro is the only man on the move so as long it's behind the defence he gets there before them, only has to make sure he doesn't shank it through to the keeper.

It's good how he bounces straight back into him when others may have tried to control it and then pass it. The actual pass itself wasn't particularly great but it was in the right area. He hasn't played very well lately but I was pleased for him to be involved in a goal for the second week running.

I think it happens a lot in football where anything that works out well suddenly becomes great, fantastic, amazing or whatever when in reality it's often pretty standard. As you say Costa literally has half the pitch to play that ball into, Cavaleiro is the only man on the move so as long it's behind the defence he gets there before them, only has to make sure he doesn't shank it through to the keeper.

This is ridiculous. Cav passes to Costa to take out 2 defenders and Costa threads it through 2 more. It's a 30 yard 1-2 and very difficult to pull off as the weight and pace had to be perfect. It wasn't just a hopeful punt between the two of them.

People should give credit to players when they deserve it.

Having said that I'd have bought Cav on instead of Costa as Helder isn't in the best of form right now and Cav is more like Jota than Costa is and we really missed Jota when he went off.

Neves MOtM for me, his defensive work, reading of the game and simple passing were excellent and kept us ticking.

This is ridiculous. Cav passes to Costa to take out 2 defenders and Costa threads it through 2 more. It's a 30 yard 1-2 and very difficult to pull off as the weight and pace had to be perfect. It wasn't just a hopeful punt between the two of them.

Having said that I'd have bought Cav on instead of Costa as Helder isn't in the best of form right now and Cav is more like Jota than Costa is and we really missed Jota when he went off.

Neves MOtM for me, his defensive work, reading of the game and simple passing were excellent and kept us ticking.
It doesn't have to be perfect at all, as said there is half a pitch margin for error.

I agree with all of that [emoji2955]

It doesn't have to be perfect at all, as said there is half a pitch margin for error.

It's not FIFA. Threading it through players is a hard thing to do and Cav even had time for a poor touch because the pass was that good.

Good players make things look easy.

It's not FIFA. Threading it through players is a hard thing to do and Cav even had time for a poor touch because the pass was that good.

Good players make things look easy.
He's a professional footballer, if he can't put it in an area where his team mate can collect it whilst he's the only player in that half of the field and the only way he fucks is by spannering it through to the keeper then he shouldn't be playing. It's a good assist but one that essentially any player in that league should be capable of executing with their eyes closed 999 times out of 100, apart from maybe Patricio who kicks the ball like my Nan.

The credit for me is that he was aware enough to play it first time with his weak foot, he could easily have taken a touch which would have ruined the chance.

Having just watched the 25 mins Sky on demand highlights I have to say the criticism of Costa looks harsh, he looks short of confidence and a few loose passes and touches that appear to be confidence based but other than that he was involved in most of our good attacking moved in the 2nd half. And to claim that a 30 yard 1-2 is easy is ridiculous.

The challenge on Jota was never a red card, 2 players going shoulder to shoulder and Diogo came off worse. Really hope his injury isn't lengthy.

The Jota challenge was annoying because he basically instigated it by trying to shoulder barge Cook and just bounced off and injured himself in the process. Needed his first touch to take it slightly away from Cook to get himself between him and the ball.

He's a professional footballer, if he can't put it in an area where his team mate can collect it whilst he's the only player in that half of the field and the only way he fucks is by spannering it through to the keeper then he shouldn't be playing. It's a good assist but one that essentially any player in that league should be capable of executing with their eyes closed 999 times out of 100, apart from maybe Patricio who kicks the ball like my Nan.

Carrotdude sums up my thoughts perfectly. It's not as easy as you're making out and there's plenty of through balls which are over/ under hit.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Having just watched the 25 mins Sky on demand highlights I have to say the criticism of Costa looks harsh, he looks short of confidence and a few loose passes and touches that appear to be confidence based but other than that he was involved in most of our good attacking moved in the 2nd half. And to claim that a 30 yard 1-2 is easy is ridiculous.

The challenge on Jota was never a red card, 2 players going shoulder to shoulder and Diogo came off worse. Really hope his injury isn't lengthy.

I don’t think you can tell a performance from highlights mate. For the first 30 minutes of the second half, Costa looked like Darren Ferguson and Steve Coricas lovechikd - his control was awful, he was weak, lost the ball whenever it went near him, his passing was terrible, he badly muffed the one on one that MGW put him through for, and he wasn’t remotely interested in challenging for a header. I genuinely thought Nuno was going to sub him.

The last fifteen minutes though, he had a good shot and did well in the buildup, had the one two with cav (which to be fair, Danny Batth would have managed, but was good nonetheless) and there was something else which slips my mind. He still was the worst player we had, but those three things moved him out of Ali dia territory.

If they were the only three things in the highlights though, you’d think he did ok.

Back