• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 3 - 0 Huddersfield: Verdict Thread

I thought it was a very harsh yellow for Ojo. 50/50 ball and just missed. He did take the player though so I can see why it was given.

Slight change of topic, but why did Huddersfield wear their third strip today. Their second kit is yellow so obviously they could not wear that. Though I am not sure that their blue and white kit would have clashed with Wolves colours.

Leading up to Xmas and on TV?

It was penalty. Look at the reaction of the goalkeeper, he was ready to walk, so he must have known there was contact.

I suspect the keeper was unaware ALF had left his leg in there to ensure contact. He caught him but only because of ALF’s movement of his leg towards him. Definitely not a penalty.

When you're the keeper and rushing out in a 1 on 1 situation like today, any contact like that and the forward is going to go down - 9 times out of 10 a penalty is given. It's different if the forward jumps in to the keeper like Falcao this evening - but ALF didn't do that. The keepers motion took him in to ALF, there is clear contact and it should have been a penalty and red card. The keeper started walking off as soon as it happened for Gods sake!

I'm astounded there are people saying otherwise. Just because a player wasn't injured or hurt, doesn't mean it isn't a free kick, or in this instance, a penalty.

Whitehead should have picked up a yellow after his third or fourth booking, KJ was going ballistic at the referee for not booking him so Whitehead had a pop back at Jackett. His next tackle was then a studs up high kick at KMacs knee (which drew blood) and it took that to finally book him.

The referee had a mare and it doesn't surprise me one bit that Frank is trying to defend him.

There was a high boot at the end on Afobe which was shocking, right in front of referee, but absolutely nothing given - apparently as Afobe kept going.

Equally not surprised Frank is silent, referees are nothing if not incompetently blind together.

Whitehead surely should have been off. I am still not sure on the ALF incident.

Just seen the highlights. Alfie dived. As I said before, that's the 5th Wolves player to be booked for diving this season. It has to stop.

Really happy with the spine of the team atm. Martinez - Batth/Hause - McDonald/Price - Afobe. Top quality for this league.

That 3rd goal was classic Benik Afobe. He's got to play more on the shoulder of the last defender. It's his greatest strength, he's faster than any defender in this league (apart from Big Dom) and his finishing when 1 on 1 is so cool. Great to see him back in the goals. Last season at Huddersfield he didn't celebrate when scored out of respect for his old club but after the 2nd he went mental, showed exactly what that meant to him.

There was a high boot at the end on Afobe which was shocking, right in front of referee, but absolutely nothing given - apparently as Afobe kept going.

Equally not surprised Frank is silent, referees are nothing if not incompetently blind together.

Harsh Sir, very harsh. I have had a very long day, and will offer my opinion in the morning.

I have asked the question and no one as said anything about the goalkeepers reaction "why did he get ready to walk off if there was no contact ".
In my opinion he knew it was a penalty. I am not interested in replays. In real time it was a penalty.

At least two of those 5 bookings for diving were utter bollocks.

Ojo away at Blackburn was never, ever a dive. And ALF's today wasn't either. I can't remember the others off the top of my head.

I have asked the question and no one as said anything about the goalkeepers reaction "why did he get ready to walk off if there was no contact ".
In my opinion he knew it was a penalty. I am not interested in replays. In real time it was a penalty.

Not interested in replays? :icon_lol:

At least two of those 5 bookings for diving were utter bollocks.

Ojo away at Blackburn was never, ever a dive. And ALF's today wasn't either. I can't remember the others off the top of my head.

Ojo booked twice, Dicko, Afobe & le Fondre once. Ojo away at Blackburn was the only one I thought wasn't a dive. Alfie's was clear as day.

Harsh Sir, very harsh. I have had a very long day, and will offer my opinion in the morning.

Aye it was, apologies if it came across that way.

Point stands though- referees and FA operate the quintessential old boys club and ensure all noses are able to stay in trough at any cost. Mike Dean is still gainfully employed I see...

I watched it back this morning too - goodman and the commentators all thought it was a pen too - with the benefit of replays.

I agree there was minimal contact but in my opinion Alf had not lost control of the ball and would have scored. Penalty all day fo me I thought so at the time and even after seeing the replays I still do. My initial reaction was "why was the keeper only getting a yellow".

I don't think the ref was close enough to the incident to be confident there was no contact and I don't think there was an obvious exaggerated move by ALF to initiate contact. ALF would have to take some evasive action to go around the keeper so just as likely he lost his balance as took a dive if the referee didn't see contact.

If the ref didn't see contact he could have just waved the claim away. ALF's demeanour the rest of the time he was on the pitch suggests he felt pretty aggrieved.

If anything the fact that even with the benefit of replays we aren't exactly sure if it was a dive suggests that video tech in football would be pointless!

I thought Iorfa was outstanding yesterday, he controlled the right side of the pitch, if only Goldbourne could find some form and offer similar on the left!

As an aside, they were Afobe's 50th and 51st career goals, I wonder if breaking his 50 has been hanging over him a little?

Brilliant performance in the 2nd half. For me, three things have changed for us making us look a lot more like our old selves.

1. Martinez - it helps to have an in form, confident keeper behind your back 4, and he's not put a foot wrong just lately. I didn't agree with the criticism of KJ swapping the keepers around, you play poorly and you don't deserve the shirt if there's someone else breathing down your neck who can replace you. Martinez has grasped his chance now, and the shirt is rightly his.

2. Batth returning has been colossal for us, a bit of true leadership has been key and it's helping Hause as well. At the mo, Stearman isn't being missed. The Batth and Hause partnership is showing a lot of promise.

3. McDonald was magnificent yesterday. His antics really fucked me off before he signed his deal but that's all done and if he can dictate the play and create openings with such nonchalance as he did yesterday, we'll score plenty. I think one of the main issues during that bad run was a chronic lack of service to the strikers but McDonald was supplying some delicious passes that you can't defend against. The pass for Afobe's second was exquisite.

You get that spine performing well with improved communication and leadership and things start to work again. Let's hope we can carry on like this after the international break.

Verdict = Its not surprising when you pick your best players in a settled system that results improve. Question is why did Kenny Jackett feel he needed to upgrade on Jack Price and used the majority of his transfer budget to do so. Wouldn't that money have been better used buying a higher class left winger?

I did answer. I'm not saying there was no contact, but ALF clearly moves his right leg towards the keeper to cause the contact. The keeper may not have been aware of this so thought he'd fouled him. The ref clearly saw it which is why he did not give a penalty but did give a yellow card.

If you think it's a foul when the player claiming the foul has initiated the contact we'll have to agree to disagree.

ALF on the penalty decision " Why would I dive when I'm going to tap the ball in for a goal"

Back