• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 3 - 0 Huddersfield: Verdict Thread

In my opinion Ojo was a little unfortunate, but in those situations if you do not get the ball you are always running the risk of being cautioned. I also agree with those who think the Huddersfield player could easily have been sent off, only the referee can explain his own actions.

Regarding ALF, I think the problem is that it is possible that he did just lose his balance, but it is worth bearing in mind that it should not automatically be a yellow card if the referee does not award a penalty kick. But clearly the referee felt that ALF had dived, and if that was what he thought, then he had to give him a yellow card.

TSB sums it up much better than I can in his comments about the penalty incident.

Oh and I thought we were tremendous yesterday

Checked the results for last season - after ten games we're only three points behind where we were last season at the same point. I'm going to assume we'll probably not lose six on the trot in November again so, fingers crossed, we may well find ourselves actually doing better this season than last by the time we hit the New Year despite the wobbly start...

Checked the results for last season - after ten games we're only three points behind where we were last season at the same point. I'm going to assume we'll probably not lose six on the trot in November again so, fingers crossed, we may well find ourselves actually doing better this season than last by the time we hit the New Year despite the wobbly start...

Hopefully we've already have the rough patch we seem to hit every season under KJ

A pleasing return to form/continuation of return to form where we dominated the game, first 15 minutes aside.

A number of pleasing performances, not least from K Mac, who seems to have stopped throwing the toys out of his pram, and start doing what he is best doing, controlling a football match. Price also showed what quiet composure can do for a team. Was also happy to see a bit of attacking intent from Jack, one of the only things he can be criticised for! Coady faces a long wait to get back in on this form, although he's a player for an occasion, eg Derby away.
I though James Henry had a great game, albeit better in the second than first half.
Really disappointing crowd, although understandable with the past week, being on Sky, and small numbers from Huddersfield too.
Atmosphere near non-existent, which makes the South Bank "sing on our own chant" even more pathetic than normal.

Emi - Stick with him Kenny, he will not let us down. An upgrade IMO on Ikeme. 7
Iorfa - Back to the heights of last season. Confident and went forward with real purpose - 8
Golbourne - I'm still not convinced, although he did ok against a tricky opponent - 6.5
Batth - Not his biggest fan, lacks pace and distribution poor, however has brought much needed experience and organisation - 7
Hause - Thought he did really well, raw yes, but will only get better 7
Henry - Excellent performance. Very much a confidence player, and his confidence is high at the moment and it shows -8
KMac - Outstanding all game. third goal was a ridiculous assist! 9
Price - Insert cliche here - the glue that holds us together - 8
Ojo - Very raw, but obvious talent - silly caution which was deserved 7
Afobe - sulked for 60 mins then came alive. Second was a great finish 8
ALF - Really like him, hard working and adds nuisance value. Was it a Pen? Probably, but he looked for it! Great assist 7.5

Byrne - like the look of him, rapid! Perfect for our counter attacking game away from home 7
Edwards and Doherty not on long enough but could see why both were made

Pleasing stuff against our bogey team. Referee let himself down.

What the last two games have shown definitively is that we were underperforming relative to the quality in our squad. Also what a ridiculous folly it was to start the season with a nonsense formation offering zero width. This league isn't complicated, we own wide players of decent enough quality, play them and don't ask them to start from silly infield positions. I couldn't fathom what the manager was trying to do in the early games and it's even more evident now that it was a serious miscalculation on his part. Fortunately the evidence speaks for itself and I doubt we'll go back now to our formationless formation with about four players wandering about out of position.

L
What the last two games have shown definitively is that we were underperforming relative to the quality in our squad. Also what a ridiculous folly it was to start the season with a nonsense formation offering zero width. This league isn't complicated, we own wide players of decent enough quality, play them and don't ask them to start from silly infield positions. I couldn't fathom what the manager was trying to do in the early games and it's even more evident now that it was a serious miscalculation on his part. Fortunately the evidence speaks for itself and I doubt we'll go back now to our formationless formation with about four players wandering about out of position.

Jed Wallace and Daid Edwards were the reason - I can't see how either can be shoehorned into the side playing this format ion unless Afobe is injured. that narrow formation looked like it was trying to accommodate both these players longer term.

Ridiculous assist for the third, however he didn't mean it. It was a clearance and if you watch again he doesn't even look up, just clears the ball. Quality from Afobe though.
Most pleasing thing about the game - the little prick behind didn't actually moan once during the game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ridiculous assist for the third, however he didn't mean it. It was a clearance and if you watch again he doesn't even look up, just clears the ball. Quality from Afobe though.
Most pleasing thing about the game - the little prick behind didn't actually moan once during the game!

He meant every inch of it.

How do you know they don't work on ths during training? McDonald will likely have known the general position Afobe was in and put the ball into space for him to run onto. For sure, Afobe still has work to do but to suggest it was just a clearance is a bit harsh.

He looks up before he spins. Class.

He looks up before he spins. Class.

Agreed.

This is why Afobe needs to play further forward btw. That goal was classic Wolves under Jackett. Iorfa wins the ball, Macca with the perfect pass behind the defence and Afobe dead eyed in front of goal.

Agreed.

This is why Afobe needs to play further forward btw. That goal was classic Wolves under Jackett. Iorfa wins the ball, Macca with the perfect pass behind the defence and Afobe dead eyed in front of goal.

Precisely. None of the tugboat centre halves in this league are catching Benik when he's away and he scores nearly every time in that position as well.

Good to see the players looking like they're enjoying their football again. It's so important to have KMac playing well. When he's on form, the whole team seems to be on form. Delighted for Afobe too. Now let's have no more dicking around from Ken for a while, stick with what's working and go on a good run.

There's really only four positions worth tinkering with over the course of this season, the three behind the striker and left back, the others should be left well alone.

Definitely not a penalty, he was already going down before he made contact with the keeper. Not really sure what he was thinking as he would have scored if he'd stayed on his feet.

Agreed.

Yep all jacket needs to do is parade Edwards up and down the touchline for a couple of minutes to spark Benik into life, worked wonders on Saturday :)

Yep all jacket needs to do is parade Edwards up and down the touchline for a couple of minutes to spark Benik into life, worked wonders on Saturday :)

Noticed that. He sat Edwards back down after Benik's long range shot.

Back