• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 5 - Rotherham 0 the best result of the season (so far) Verdict thread

Just a quick point here, this is the same team that put 7 past us last season. They were always going to have good spells and force a save or two out of TK. That's just the way they set up.

They missed chances but so did we. Doyle would've scored if he'd had any sort of goal scoring instinct and gambled on van La Parra's teasing low cross and Dicko had a good chance at 3-0. We played within ourselves, won 5-0 and made it look easy.

Need info from those there, but sounded as if McDonald got further forward today, particularly in the first half (that may have been due to the fact that Rotherham were not being that adventurous at that time) - appears as if that helped the creativity
He did, his pass for the first goal was sublime. Edwards being alongside him rather than Price gave us greater impetus going forwards, but as you would expect gave made us more susceptible defensively. Against a bottom half team I think that's the way to go, I'd be worried if we set up that way against a top 4/5 team like that though. The other point I'd make is that just like last year Rotherham came to have a game. It's the 2 banks of 4, 10/11 men behind the ball types of teams we struggle against at home this year.

Love it. Can't wait to see the build up to the first and last goals again.

Just seen the goals, they were great, can't remember seeing us play so many effective through balls before, some excellent assists and great finishes

Long may it continue, but IMHO through balls are like 3 point shots in basketball; they'll run hot and cold.

Maybe Rotherham did have their moments, but that will always be the case. Teams do not control games for 90 minutes. Their opponents will have their chances, and Rotherham play with many attacking options so a chance or two is always likely. To win 5 - 0 in this division is an excellent achievement.

I've lost count of the number of times I've seen Wolves hammer teams and lose, didn't we play quite well in that 0-6 drubbing from Southampton.
Sometimes its just fun to enjoy seeing us score 5 rather than over analyse everything.

I think this Kevin Keegan approach to football while enjoyable usually ends in tears when other teams find their shooting boots.

I've lost count of the number of times I've seen Wolves hammer teams and lose, didn't we play quite well in that 0-6 drubbing from Southampton.
Sometimes its just fun to enjoy seeing us score 5 rather than over analyse everything.

We played very well when they beat us 1-0 in the reverse fixture...

As for the assessments on here - I would hope nobody would think this a lucky/fluke result but KJ would have noticed the period of not-so-good after we went 2-0 up and it would have been mentioned but that shouldn't take away from the result

I presume Evans was simply left out of the squad yesterday. His brother was having a mini rant about him not being included and how he "went out of his way" to play for the U21's in the week. Brotherly love.

How did Edwards do at CM (cue the haters) we know he's not actually a CM but did his energy and perseverance give Kmac more time on the ball?

How did Edwards do at CM (cue the haters) we know he's not actually a CM but did his energy and perseverance give Kmac more time on the ball?

Edwards was ok. Lost the ball a few times in our bad spell either side of half time and there was one moment in the first half where he tried to be too clever, gave the ball away right on the edge of our area and then lunged in with a stupid tackle trying to win it back.

I thought Macca had his best game for a while but I'm not sure how much of that was down to Edwards. He didn't have any more time on the ball than he usually gets at this level, he just dealt with the pressure better today.

Edwards was ok. Lost the ball a few times in our bad spell either side of half time and there was one moment in the first half where he tried to be too clever, gave the ball away right on the edge of our area and then lunged in with a stupid tackle trying to win it back.

I thought Macca had his best game for a while but I'm not sure how much of that was down to Edwards. He didn't have any more time on the ball than he usually gets at this level, he just dealt with the pressure better today.

Thats good to hear, seems we still need an assured CM to compliment MacDonald for us to progress

We played very well when they beat us 1-0 in the reverse fixture...

As for the assessments on here - I would hope nobody would think this a lucky/fluke result but KJ would have noticed the period of not-so-good after we went 2-0 up and it would have been mentioned but that shouldn't take away from the result

I think we absolutely deserved to win but we allowed the game to get away from us needlessly and had Rotherham scored before half time things could have gone differently. The third goal, which effectively finished the game off was against the run of play. When we were so dominant in the first 30 minutes the drop off was all the more obvious.

I didn't think Rotherham were as good as the side that won promotion last year.

Lovely football. That first goal is a stunner.

Awesome stuff, cheers Lycan. We've got a right pair of proper strikers on our hands now.

Lovely football. That first goal is a stunner.

Afobe's finishing is superb.

Dicko's touch for his goal is also class. That made the goal, so many strikers there would have gone with the ball down the outside of the defender.

Back