• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves History Thread

Fair enough but even still, Gomes is a better player and a better fit for that formation.

If you talk about fit then you'd have Sá over Murray as well. Murray is obviously a much better keeper but as bad as Sá is with his feet Murray was a million times worse.

Tbf I don’t think Sá’s footballing ability is what his biggest problem is.

Incredibly we've had two who were even worse for it, with no redeeming features to make up for it (Jones and Lonergan)

To me it seems the kind of thing you *can* work at if you want to?! Not saying you can become Ederson but you can surely become at least competent rather than having a rubber leg.

It was definitely Murray's biggest weakness. He could barely kick the ball in a straight line bless him. He could throw it further than he could kick it.
I'd take that if it meant never going so walkabout that you're 3 yards out of position.

I've said before and will say again that the gap between Kristijan Kahlina (Charlotte's keeper) and José Sá is unacceptably small from Wolves' POV.

Definitely Hwang for me.

Alex Rae was exactly what we needed at the time but we'll end up selling João Gomes to a top team for £50-60M and he'll easily go on to make 20+ appearances for the Brazilian national team. They're just not in the same league.

Murray & Lescott were the only 2 from that era of a similar quality to what we have in our best XI
Interesting discussion this but I fully concur with Lycan - it was a tragedy that we only got one game out of the 2 in 03/04.

As for Murray - the best shot stopper I've ever seen play for Wolves - and his weakness I'm sure would be corrected to some degree by today's coaches. The need for keepers to be able to play with the feet has changed massively in the last 20 years.

I'd have Alex Rae as a squad option (loved the player) but Lemina and Gomes are simply at the next level. Although if you want a goal scoring midfielder the best we've had in my lifetime, by far, was Kenny Hibbitt.

Again Ndah could be a squad option especially with his space and control (prior to his debilitating injuries). Our other forwards from the period just weren't quite good enough for the Premier League. Remember we would have had high hopes for SEB but he never quite could make a mark in the Premier League.

Back