• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

2015 Cricket World Cup Australia/ New Zealand

Finally over. Ireland go out but Pakistan in a very odd performance in the final 5 or 6 overs.

Q-F

Sri Lanka v South Africa
Bangladesh v India
Australia v Pakistan
New Zealand v W Indies

So 7/8 of the expected teams get into the quarters.....just the one exception

Yep, poor on Ireland not to qualify.....

Downton referred to Moores as "the outstanding coach of his generation" but statistics published by the Guardian suggest that his combined record is not only the worst of the four coaches England have employed in the modern era but the worst of any current coach among the top eight Test sides.

Whoops.

Bear in mind Moores has not taken charge of any Test matches vs Australia (where historically we do worse than we do vs other teams) so his record is unblemished by any of that, and there is no way that he has had a weaker squad of players available to him than either Lloyd or Fletcher in his early days did - at least I assume Lloyd is included if we are talking about four coaches in the modern era, Lloyd/Fletcher/Moores x 2/Flower. Flower had to pick up all the KP detritus in 2009 as well but managed to lead us to an Ashes win six months later, Moores inherited his own problems but he has just maintained a largely losing team with an abject record.

I think Downton may well end up being the fall guy in the short term (which further opens the door for KP) but I have no faith in Moores appreciably improving that record over the next 12 months, indeed I expect him to lead us to a steady stream of losses. So what then, what if we have even more evidence that he just isn't up to the task?

I don't see how Moores got the job, he was out of his depth last time and he is again this time. There is no way we are as bad as we looked in the World Cup and he should pay for it but it doesn't look like he will. The ECB should get rid now before any more damage is done in my opinion.

I think Moores is out of his depth, and should be replaced. Though DW could well be right that Downton will go instead.

Personally, I wonder whether we should go down the road of different coaches for the test and one day teams. Two very different formats that require different planning and strategies. Most countries now put one day cricket above test cricket, England put tests first, which I agree with, but we do need to understand that good test match players do not always succeed in the shorter version of the game.

I could be mistaken, but I think the following are those responsible for international cricket in England.

Test captain: Alastair Cook
ODI captain: Eoin Morgan
T20 captain: Stuart Broad
Coach: Peter Moores
ECB Managing Director: Paul Downton
Current ECB Chairman: Giles Clarke
Future ECB Chairman: Colin Graves
ECB Chief Executive: Tom Harrison
Selector: James Whittaker
Selector: Angus Fraser
Selector: Mick Newell

It does not exactly fill me with confidence for the future if they all stay in their positions.

Sri Lanka did a fine England impression this morning and collapsed with style. Duminy bagged a hat-trick as well. All out for 133

South Africa win by nine wickets. Very easy for them indeed. Only Sangakarra (who else?) offered any resistance.

Bangladesh need 303 to win. Currently 38 -2 after 8 overs. It is going to be tough for them.

Bangladesh 190-8. All but over. Now if only England had beaten Bangladesh, we might have beaten India. We did well against them in World Cup warm up games.

India have peaked for the tournament. They haven't lost a match. We would have been annihilated by them.

New Zealand will take some stopping. They have so many players who can go out and take the game away from their opponents. Today it was Martin Guptill, who destoyed the West Indies with the highest ever score in a world cup match, 237.

Back