• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

v Liverpool (07/01/23) - FA Cup 3rd Round - Build Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinky

Head Brownie
Reaction score
Can't see a thread for this anywhere, but yes, we have another game tomorrow at 8pm!

I think tomorrow is a bit of a throwaway fixture for us, given the importance of every PL game and the fact we have an opportunity to progress to an actual cup semi final on Wednesday.

Will Julen risk Cunha in an FA Cup third round game? It would be useful to give him a start, but the obvious concern is he picks up an injury in a nothing game. I don't think you can go in to games with that mindset, though, so suspect he'll start.

I'd go with something like:

Sa
Jonny Collins Toti RAN
Neves Nunes
Adama Cunha Guedes
Raul
I'd prefer to not play Jonny & Guedes, but he'll rotate the squad, and I can also see him thinking Adama may come in useful on the break away at Anfield. I'd also prefer to not risk the likes of Neves & Nunes, but if we don't play them, we're going with Hodge & Joao. We really, really needed another midfielder in by now. Wouldn't be so bad if Bouba was fit but here we are.

I think it will be roughly that. Maybe Hodge will start and we will see Neves/Nunes/Joao share minutes in some way with two more important games next week.

I think he'll go strong given the opposition, and to try and build some momentum. So first choice team for me. Maybe RAN starting at LB or further forwards.

What's Lopetegui's record like in cup competitions?

I couldn't give 2 shits about this game.

Success for me is no injuries, suspensions or knackered players.

I'd much prefer we focus on Wednesday and the following Saturday.

If he's fit, I'd absolutely play Jonny, currently he's our back up RB and has been terrible, needs the minutes imo. Also Raul needs to start. I'd be happy with Jinkys team, although I'd probably start Kilman.

It wont be but i'd play any players that haven't been playing and need games like Toti, Mosquera, Guedes, etc and mix in under 23's. Lowest priority of all our games.

I want him to go as strong as possible and try to win the tie. Injuries could happen in any game or training or getting an egg out of the microwave so I don't want any wrapping up of the players in cotton wool.

To get out of the mess we are in we need players playing together and gaining confidence. Getting dicked 6-0 by fielding a partial reserve team isn't going to do anyone any good.

I hope he'll go strong and treat this as though it were a league game. Not the time to mess about with cup rotation when half the lineup are liable to be out the door anyway, if JL gets his way. Our first team needs all the practice it can get. Nothing wrong with Jinky's side, although I'd sooner play RAN up front than Guedes and have Bueno in.

Keeping whatever momentum we have going is vital . However there is some room for trying out a few things . Playing RAN further forward is one that could be considered .
Starting Adama is another . Giving Raul or Cunha or both a start .

Playing RAN wide left makes sense if TAA plays. Not only can he get back and help out defending against him but he has the engine and pace to take advantage of TAA leaving lots of space in behind.

What will Klopp put out for Liverpool.

This is surely bottom of their priority list as well. Sorting out their League form and getting 4th place will be his main target. Already lost VVD for a bit, so guessing he won't want to risk too many other key players getting a knock.

What will Klopp put out for Liverpool.

This is surely bottom of their priority list as well. Sorting out their League form and getting 4th place will be his main target. Already lost VVD for a bit, so guessing he won't want to risk too many other key players getting a knock.
He's never given a shit about the FA Cup really has he?

He's never given a shit about the FA Cup really has he?
Sometimes he does. At least he generally turns up to manage the games, unlike the League Cup when he sends the U23 coach to do it against lesser teams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back