• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Everton (A) Boxing Day build up thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lycan

Proud Resident of Coventry
Reaction score

Semedo Collins Kilman Bueno

Moutinho Neves Nunes

Podence Raúl Hwang

SUBS: Sarkic, Aït-Nouri, Toti, Hodge, Guedes, Costa, Adama, Ronan, Lembikisa

*Assuming that Jonny & Bouba will still be unavailable.

I don't think Raúl will last 90 minutes but I'd give him a start. If he gets another goal (and he does seem to fancy scoring against Everton) we could see him start to return to his previous form. Hwang is the best option out of the other forwards for me, he's coming off a good World Cup, he suits Lopetegui's high press more than Adama & Guedes and with Bueno & Nunes outside of him he would be able to drift inside and play in his preferred position close to a #9.

Semedo's form is a worry but we can't be starting Lembikisa and I can't remember Aït-Nouri ever playing on the right.

Everton are terrible and this is a must win game which is harsh in Lopeteguis first league game in charge but we are where we are. I am not confident at all for this game there are a lot of issues for him to fix, I do definitely think Lopetegui is going to improve this team but I think it's going to take time to start getting more from Nunes, possibly get Raul back to something like a passable Premier League level striker and get 5 or 6 new faces in and bed them in.

Same team as Lycan for me but I’m done with Pod. RAN on the left and Hwang on the right.

Kilman terrifies me at the moment - seems to have a totally unerring ability to ever so slightly misplace every pass he makes. But like Semedo we are stuck with him.

Same team as Lycan for me but I’m done with Pod. RAN on the left and Hwang on the right.

Kilman terrifies me at the moment - seems to have a totally unerring ability to ever so slightly misplace every pass he makes. But like Semedo we are stuck with him.
Podence is so frustrating but statistically he's our most creative player and he does actually win the ball high. He's in until we sign someone better IMO.

Podence is so frustrating but statistically he's our most creative player and he does actually win the ball high. He's in until we sign someone better IMO.
I get that, but he just drives me mad when watching him get the ball and totally waste it.

I’d also be interested to see how much statistically better he is at, say, goal involvements per minute played compared to Hwang, RAN and others.

Podence might also statistically be the player who gives the ball away the most. Although Hwang must push him for that title despite playing about 10% of the minutes Podence has.

Pick a team that has a few of Guedes, Podence and Semedo in as possible. The latter has to play by default so don't select the other 2. I know what the stats say about Podence, the eye test doesn't back it up though. Seems to me he's uncoachable, just does what he wants, he's not good enough for us to carry that.

Pod has 2 goals and no assists in 1022 PL mins. Guedes has 1 of each in 690 mins..

Generally though they are all fucking garbage.

I'd go with Lycans team, not sure who you replace Podence with.
With the euphoria of JL coming in I was hoping to win this, after seeing the training matches and last night I'm concerned for this one. We are still struggling score even against bottom of the whole league system and the whole back line look a bombscare.

433 isn't going to work with the players we have. We lack the midfielders to break forward which ensures we continue with the tepid side to side passing. Have to go 4231, interesting how Lop played Raul as a second striker in that formation last night and with that in mind I'd go.

Sa
Nunes Neves
Podence Raul Hwang
Costa

Pick a team that has a few of Guedes, Podence and Semedo in as possible. The latter has to play by default so don't select the other 2. I know what the stats say about Podence, the eye test doesn't back it up though. Seems to me he's uncoachable, just does what he wants, he's not good enough for us to carry that.
Yep the chances created is a wooly stat as it is just a pass or action that leads to a shot. So for one, includes set pieces that you take so a shit floated corner that leads to a tame header is as valuable as a great through ball. Or being fouled 40 yards out only for Neves to blast it in the stands is another one.

I honestly think Podence is a hinderance. If we weren’t playing him we wouldn’t be cutting it back to the edge of the box and might have more men trying to attack it. He doesn’t commit in central areas and outwide doesn’t really go round people, just works a yard with a cryuff only to do a shit cross.

Go 442 or 4222 and have two CFs in there

433 isn't going to work with the players we have. We lack the midfielders to break forward which ensures we continue with the tepid side to side passing. Have to go 4231, interesting how Lop played Raul as a second striker in that formation last night and with that in mind I'd go.

Sa
Nunes Neves
Podence Raul Hwang
Costa
Lopetegui has played 4-3-3 most of his entire coaching life. I doubt he's about to change to 4-4-2 now.

The 4-3-3 you describe is the stuff we were trying to play under Lage but there was a change last night in that Bueno and Semedo have far more attacking roles allowing the 2 wider forwards to play inside.

This role suits both Hwang and Pod more and they will get more space but less time against Everton who are very unlikely to park the bus at home against bottom of the table.

Nunes deeper with Moutinho should create those elusive passing lanes and angles Lopetegui is looking for. Especially with Costa acting as a wall for a return pass. In theory players occupy the half spaces and make runs across defenders to create those chances.

Crosses are the alternatives which we all know will only come from the left which does leave us with a problem of only one target in the box.

(We really do need a Ballack/ Lampard/ Havertz type to play either a midfield or inside forward role.)

Lopetegui plays like Spain and people shouldn't be surprised if we don't score many goals, his teams never have.

Lopetegui has played 4-3-3 most of his entire coaching life. I doubt he's about to change to 4-4-2 now.

The 4-3-3 you describe is the stuff we were trying to play under Lage but there was a change last night in that Bueno and Semedo have far more attacking roles allowing the 2 wider forwards to play inside.

This role suits both Hwang and Pod more and they will get more space but less time against Everton who are very unlikely to park the bus at home against bottom of the table.

Nunes deeper with Moutinho should create those elusive passing lanes and angles Lopetegui is looking for. Especially with Costa acting as a wall for a return pass. In theory players occupy the half spaces and make runs across defenders to create those chances.

Crosses are the alternatives which we all know will only come from the left which does leave us with a problem of only one target in the box.

(We really do need a Ballack/ Lampard/ Havertz type to play either a midfield or inside forward role.)

Lopetegui plays like Spain and people shouldn't be surprised if we don't score many goals, his teams never have.

I believe Cunha has been signed to play off the striker centrally but could be wrong.

I think with a flat 433 well just end up going wide and crossing every time because I have no faith in the current players to offer enough movement ahead of the ball to open anyone up. Added to this, fact that the fullbacks are indeed much higher leads me to the conclusion we'll lose this by a couple of goals, kilman and Collins are absolute bombscares at the moment.

We could do with getting something on the board here, we need to be picking up points ASAP, especially against teams not far above us.

No Coady for them obviously.

I don't want to play Semedo but we don't have anyone else. Podence is pretty much in the same bracket. Guedes can fuck right off as he's the worst of the lot of them.

------------------------Sa--------------------

Semedo-----Collins-------Kilman-----Bueno

---------------------Neves------------------

-----------Moutinho--------Nunes---------

---------------------Podence------------------

---------------Raul--------Hwang----------------

2021/22: W 2-1 (H), W 1-0 (A)
2020/21: L 1-2 (H), L 0-1 (A)
2019/20: W 3-0 (H), L 2-3 (A)
2018/19: D 2-2 (H), W 3-1 (A)
2011/12: D 0-0 (H), L 1-2 (A)
2010/11: L 0-3 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2009/10: D 0-0 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2003/4: W 2-1 (H), L 0-2 (A)

I'm going to this one with an Everton supporting mate (home seats though :( ).

So I'm looking forwards to seeing Lopetegui's league debut and first win!

Mainly I'm just hoping for a decent competitive performance and the green shoots of improvement. I'm not optimistic though as we have the same set of forwards as the rest of the season just gone. Just got to hope the defence plays well and we can keep them down to one goal or less, or we'll lose.

If Jonny is anywhere near fit I'd start him over Semedo. The two wide attackers need to be Hwang and Podence. Though I'm not sure as they both prefer playing off the left.

Last edited:
Jonny hasn't returned to training yet, so no chance he is anywhere near fit

Sa
Semedo - Collins - Kilman - Bueno
Neves - Nunes
Campbell - Jimenez - Hwang
Costa​

Sa
Semedo - Collins - Kilman - Bueno
Neves - Nunes
Campbell - Jimenez - Hwang
Costa​
Not sure about Campbell starting but I like the rest of it.

Didn't realize he was hurt.

Obviously not a perfect option there but I'm 100% done with the other chancers we park on that wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back