• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

A jolly good read?

Just finished reading 'On the Road' by Jack Kerouac again - one of the few books I've read a second time, an autobiographical account of the author's trips across post-war America in his youth.

The manner in which it was written is probably as famous as the story itself, and something that I find incredible. Kerouac was struggling to find a method to chronicle his adventures several years later and, after quite a lot of frustration, he lost his patience, taped together a huge scroll of drawing paper and furiously started typing and typing....and typing. He later said he did this to achieve the 'kick-writing' momentum he wanted as he was convinced that his verbal flow was hampered when he had to change paper at the end of the page.

Fuelled by amphetemines, he banged away at the type-writer pretty much non-stop for 17 days until he was finished, the words flowing from him straight onto the scroll; no drafts, nothing. His girlfriend of the time told of him hanging damp t-shirts across his apartment because of him sweating so profusely.

Picture of the 120ft scroll;

450px-Kerouac_ontheroad_scroll.jpg

The result of all that really is a remarkable piece of literature and probably the definitive account of the 'Beat' culture that hit America in the 40s/50s. Its his vivid narrative that brings to life these journeys and the tales of the sex, drugs and hedonism led by chief protagonist Neal Cassady (or Dean Moriarty depending on which version you read) that shocked so many people when it was released.

Well worth a read.

Last edited:
Just started Book 4 of A Song of Ice and Fire (part 2 of A Storm of Swords).

I don't want to tell anyone what has happened in the first few chapters, but fucking hell. And we'll have to wait until 2014 to see it on screen. But fucking hell.

Fucking hell.

I just didn't see it coming. Fucking hell.

A cracking start to the book.

How can you be reading when there's CL football on you big girl?

Posted at 2044 commenting on something I read on the train circa 1730.

I'm watching the Chelsea game as we speak. So nob off.

I don't want to tell anyone what has happened in the first few chapters, but fucking hell. And we'll have to wait until 2014 to see it on screen. But fucking hell.

Fucking hell.

That really made me laugh!

You're enthusiastic about that book are you Langers?

Fucking hell.

I'm just over half way through this now. And I agree. Fucking hell! What a book, best of the series. I think I've spent most of my time saying "No fucking way!" to myself!

I've just started A Dance With Dragons now (A Feast For Crows is the weakest so far, though still good).

After I finish this one, I'll be up to date. True Nerd Status.

Shame on us for leaving this thread for so long, however kudos to Hereford for the resurrection.

I tend to read a load of books & then post a mini review of all of them every few months. Special mention however, must go to the following book:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Whoops-Why-everyone-owes-one/dp/1846142857

Phenomenally well written book, fully accessable to a layperson regarding economic events of the past 2+ years, as to why the credit crunch happened, and outcomes.

Highly recommended.

Currently plowing my way through those Norwegian cop books all written by Jo Nesbo.
Or Jones Bo.. depends if you're reading it on your side in bed...
Snowman, Redeemer, Redbreast, Nemesis, Leopard and another one...

Then it's back to the new Jack Reacher, proper bloke stuff.

I've just started A Dance With Dragons now (A Feast For Crows is the weakest so far, though still good).

After I finish this one, I'll be up to date. True Nerd Status.

Where do I start? I've looked on Amazon and I'm confused!

Where do I start? I've looked on Amazon and I'm confused!

Ok - in order:

1. A Game of Thrones
2. A Clash of Kings
3. A Storm of Swords Part 1: Steel and Snow
4. A Storm of Swords Part 2: Blood and Gold
5. A Feast For Crows
6. A Dance With Dragons

TV wise, they showed Game of Thrones last year - A Clash of Kings starts in April (apparently).

I am utterly hooked.

Ok - in order:

1. A Game of Thrones
2. A Clash of Kings
3. A Storm of Swords Part 1: Steel and Snow
4. A Storm of Swords Part 2: Blood and Gold
5. A Feast For Crows
6. A Dance With Dragons

TV wise, they showed Game of Thrones last year - A Clash of Kings starts in April (apparently).

I am utterly hooked.

Got to agree with Langdale on this one. I wasn't really a fan of this genre of books but I loved the TV series and so read the first book not really expecting much. I am now on the 4th book in the series and have read them back to back. They are brilliant. I also gave Game of Thrones to my brother to read- he said after the first 40-50 pages that he wasn't really enjoying it but would persevere. A week later he came back to me and asked to borrow the 2nd one in the series!

Some truly great books in this list by some of my favourite authors. not sure about all of them, there are a couple i didn't like of the ones I've read. But I could read Alfred Bester's stuff all day.

Surely banks' first three culture books should rank 1. Use of weapons; 2. Player of games; 3. Consider Phlebas?

Cue geeks.

http://blamcast.net/articles/best-science-fiction-books

Interesting list there.

Gene Wolfe is great but heavy going.
Alastair Reynolds is good stuff.
Love peter f Hamilton books - great space opera.
I never really got on with dune. It reminds me of other kids at school raging about the chronicles of Thomas covenant which I thought were a bag of balls.
Foundation otoh is a fine piece of writing.

Interesting list there.

Gene Wolfe is great but heavy going. Loved it, but read it about 20 years ago
Alastair Reynolds is good stuff. Read all his stuff but the first two in rev Space series are his best. Brilliant
Love peter f Hamilton books - great space opera. Read the Reality Disfunction series. Didn't rate it. Hope his other stuff is better but that put me off
I never really got on with dune. It reminds me of other kids at school raging about the chronicles of Thomas covenant which I thought were a bag of balls. Only seen the film
Foundation otoh is a fine piece of writing.Not read it

Of the others -

Vernor Vinge - Fire - brilliant book and the sequel is just out, 19 years on. Hopefully out on kindle in new year. Well worth reading
Simmons - hyperion series. Love it
Bester - Stars & the demolished man are classics
Greg Egan books are always interesting though I've not read this one. Permutation City I recall being great
Ringworld is a lot of fun. Snow Crash and Neuromancer are good books. Morgan's altered carbon is a head fuck ride and a half.

The ones I didn't get - enders game - always appears high in these lists. must be an american thing; red mars = dull, never finished it; stranger in a strange land - I like the other Heinlein books I read but not this one.

Banks' first three culture books are great but he's more miss than hit in his later books

Amber chronicles is a series I keep meaning to get round to trying. Quite why it is on a sci-fi list I have no idea, as it is fantasy. David eddings used to rant incessantly about book shops putting the two genres together as they had fuck all in common.
That probably says more about eddings not knowing they share the same readership demographic but there you go.

Back