• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Are You Normal or an Oddball?

There's this chap I've bumped into 3 times. He seems to really know me and I know his face but not a clue who he actually is. Dying to bump into him for a 4th time and deffo asking who he is this time, but it's been several years. I might leave this earth never knowing
I have quite a few experiences of people who seem to know me but who must be mistaken. Bloke on a train who seemed confused I didn’t want to engage in conversation with him - no clue who he was, just thought must have met at a business meeting. Weirder one was a lady who stopped me at Bham airport convinced I was her nephew who she’d seen a couple days before. I spoke to her for a couple minutes to say I wasn’t and she was still convinced so presume he must have the same voice and mannerisms. The best was in Antigua when an American lady was convinced both me and wife had met her on a cruise the week before. I mean mistaking one person is understandable but to have a doppelgänger couple! my second voice raises all sorts of scenarios about this sort of shit. We are living in a matrix!!

I have a type of syneasthesia associated with chemistry, which I studied and have worked in ever since. I "see" chemical elements, compounds and reactions as colours. I also see reactions pictorially, rather than as text, which my colleagues think is weird.

I only realised I had synesthesia a few years ago, blew my mind when I found out not everyone 'felt' different shapes & colours when listening to music, eating, drinking or hearing/thinking about certain words.

Had a look into synesthesia and now think I have the opposite because of this comment. I don't see jack shit :ROFLMAO:, just hear myself reading the words

there's a theory that synesthesia is really just part of ideasthesia which everyone has, in that concepts evoke perceptions in the mind's eye. if you read the sentence 'the white fox runs,' you involuntarily see a white fox running in your mind's eye; for me as a synesthete, when i see the number 8 for example, i involuntarily see a dark blue 8

if you don’t have inner monologue, can you still sing songs to yourself in your head?

Had a look into synesthesia and now think I have the opposite because of this comment. I don't see jack shit :ROFLMAO:, just hear myself reading the words

there's a theory that synesthesia is really just part of ideasthesia which everyone has, in that concepts evoke perceptions in the mind's eye. if you read the sentence 'the white fox runs,' you involuntarily see a white fox running in your mind's eye; for me as a synesthete, when i see the number 8 for example, i involuntarily see a dark blue 8
Having an inner monologue is considered "the norm", whilst synesthesia is pretty rare IIRC. So we don't necessarily have the "opposite" of synesthesia, we just don't have it.

/pedant

I have to make a pretty focused effort to conjure mental images, and I can never get faces right.

Reactions: b3h
if you don’t have inner monologue, can you still sing songs to yourself in your head?
Do you sing them to yourself though or just hear the actual song?

just doing down in the tube station. I mean, I’d say I’m replicating Weller’s vocal in my head, but I can change it if I want. I’ve not heard anyone else’s version but I’ve just tried softening/feminising the voice and can do that. Obv the better you know the song and lyrics the easier it is. Pretty easy to change the pace, to slow the track for instance.

I don't see either, I associate.

For example the word Wednesday I associate as a dark black & grey cloudy sky and I get a slightly claustrophobic sensation. Nothing to do with the actual day of the week, just the word itself when I hear, read, speak or think of it.

Vibes based vernacular innit

Somewhat on topic. I know someone who mouths what you're saying as you say it. Not sure if they're aware, never asked. Will now enter another rabbit hole with that one...

Somewhat on topic. I know someone who mouths what you're saying as you say it. Not sure if they're aware, never asked. Will now enter another rabbit hole with that one...
Like this?

• Haha
Hmmm. Don’t know if this is related but if I am reading a chess book I don’t really need a board in front of me. Look at the diagram before the moves appear and it pops into my head and the pieces move in my mind as I read so I can in turn picture the board several moves later.

Is that unusual? Seems natural as anything to me, but I don’t know any different.

only the obvious stuff - malaka, malakismeni
should know more being part cypriot
Not a bad effort at all, most obviously used throughout greece is mallaka (wanker) closely followed by aaah gamisu (basically fuck off or fuck you)

Last edited:
Perdomai is the verb for I fart in Ancient Greek. I knew reading Aristophanes in the original language had a use.

my main memory of Aristophanes was from the lysistrata in which the women go on a sex strike and have to vow to each other that they won’t take up the ‘lioness on a cheese grater’ position.

Hmmm. Don’t know if this is related but if I am reading a chess book I don’t really need a board in front of me. Look at the diagram before the moves appear and it pops into my head and the pieces move in my mind as I read so I can in turn picture the board several moves later.

Is that unusual? Seems natural as anything to me, but I don’t know any different.
I could maybe do the first 3-4 moves of a game but afterwards would need to see it on a board, but I’m not so good. obv the best chess players can do it given the long history of blindfold games. how the fuck they could play multiple blindfold games simultaneously is beyond me.

I can't see images in my mind....Aphantasia. At least I think I can't, not being able to see what others can I have nothing to compare it to. Someone described what they could see when they closed their eyes and visualised an image, they saw it. I can't do that. If i close my eyes and think of a tree I can describe it but I don't see it. It's just dark because my eyes are closed.

Apparently it can also impact on remembering details of your own life which suggests the mind's eye might be important in recalling personal experiences...but i can remember facts about the world around me.

Back