• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Aston Villa (A) 30/3: Build-Up & Match Thread

At least we got to half time only 1-0 down. Villa had a couple of good opportunities aside from the goal. We had Ait-Nouri's miss. Hopefully we can re-group at half time but we have zero options so when these guys tire, I expect Villa to take advantage. The positive is that you can see we have some quality players. Doyle has been impressive.

o’Neil really has got to re-think how he sets up a real defensively, however. Bournemouth were the same under him. Very chaotic and leave a lot of space between midfield and defence. Just too easy to play through which is a big problem. That’s his next job imo

Second half, be tempted to put Fraser on for Doyle and go 352 with Sarabia in the middle

This one’s done, I think.

We were very good for 20 minutes but not scoring in that period has killed us. They’ve worked out how to play us and got on top and took their chance. They’re very good when they go ahead & we have nothing to change things off the bench, so it’s about keeping it respectable from here.

Chiwome as expected looks way out of his depth.

This is the Cov performance all over again. Harsh on the youngsters they've thrown up top as they just aren't ready. They don't move, press or work in with the rest of the team and it's shows they've most likely not worked enough on their specific duties.

The main concern for me is not just throwing away the promising positions we had with the cup and league, but we are going to rush the returning players back because we look so devoid of quality without them.
If it the Cov performance we'd be 8 down by now.

Started well enough, RAN should have scored. Semedo and Doyle both started very well. Since midway through the half we've been shit. We look like a side who have their best 3 attacking players out. Lemina and Sarabia have been awful. I'd drop Lemina back into CM, push RAN into the left sided forward role and play Toti as LB.

Hoping we can regroup and at least put some pressure on Villa.
Expecting a comfortable 3-0 defeat.

It’s Hinchcliffe on co-comms so they’re absolutely gagging for Villa to win. Was no mention of how soft the foul was.

Also, ask the bar staff to turn the sound up.
It’s a skanky boozer but the only place around showing it. Fucking music blaring like an acid house party.

Only other person watching it is some Villa knob on the next table.

Unfair in my view to blame Sa for the goal. Good shot.
We lack any real threat up front. Not surprising with an 18 year old leading the line. Not his fault either.
Hope Ait Nouri starts to do the simple things well. Would make a nice change.

It’s a little concerning to me how unprepared both Fraser and Chiwome have looked. I know they’re kids but I’d like to think they’d have been drilled on their positioning and run-making. They’ve both looked… I mean there’s youth, but they’ve both been static and anonymous in ways that make me raise an eyebrow at what the Academy is teaching them.

Doyle has been excellent first half. Sarabia takes a soft yellow, what was he thinking? Gomes and Lemina have been pretty ineffectual today. Semedo is carrying on with his good form this season.

It’s a little concerning to me how unprepared both Fraser and Chiwome have looked. I know they’re kids but I’d like to think they’d have been drilled on their positioning and run-making. They’ve both looked… I mean there’s youth, but they’ve both been static and anonymous in ways that make me raise an eyebrow at what the Academy is teaching them.
I think you are underestimating the level of the Premier League compared to PL2. Neither of them have ever played any senior football before this season.

The academy has produced some really good pros in recent years. We sold one for 25-35m last summer

I think you are underestimating the level of the Premier League compared to PL2. Neither of them have ever played any senior football before this season.

The academy has produced some really good pros in recent years. We sold one for 25-35m last summer
But surely no matter the level, you should know how to identify space?

It's more that they're nowhere near ready for this level and might not ever be. It's a shit state of affairs that they have to play but as we were safe in January the club just tossed it off which is a shame as there isn't much between the teams in that pack we are in

We need to bear in mind we are playing a top 4 team away from home with a decimated squad, on that basis its been a good performance. Much as that is defeatist.

Back