• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Benik Afobe

I think he could be better than SEB. When did we ever see SEB run the length of the opposition half, shrugging off 4 opponents to slot past a keeper? Much as I love SEB and how important his goals were at the time, Afobe is a proper striker, he gets on the end of long balls into the area, he lashes volleys in from outside the area and he can run 30 yards and finish with style. SEB was a poacher whose goals mostly came from inside the area, Afobe is a threat from anywhere inside the final third.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not disregarding SEB's contribution in any way, I loved watching him, but I'm getting pretty excited watching Afobe, he's bigger, stronger and is more clinical than SEB. If we go up and he's fit, he could be massively important for us.

I bloody love him.

SEB's run, turn & shot v Charlton in the 3 - 2 win was better. Whilst he only had 1 defender to contend with he was at least trying to tackle.

(This is not to belittle Afobe's goal yesterday which was a thing of beauty, but he had clearly deployed the force field which prevents opponents getting any closer than 4 foot - suspect that Freedman was somewhat pissed off with that)

It was horrific defending but they were backing off so far because they are absolutely terrified of him. Any defender at this level knows if they miss a tackle against Afobe then they're not catching him.

Genuinely the most exciting attacking player we've had since Robbie Keane IMO, just as Iorfa is the best defender we've had since Lescott.

The nearer they let him get to the goal the more problems they faced - if it was my team doing that would have wanted one of them to try to tackle early (would have still left 3 others in close attendance) & if it went wrong then at least the FK would be some way out (possibility of a card if the player got it completely wrong, but law of averages would indicate that a red would be unlucky)

Adobe definitely has the touch of the Doog when closing in on goal. Bit stronger right foot and a yard or three quicker too.

Good comparison, Dist.
Doog was quite left-footed but could score with both feet and (prolifically) with his head. I hope Benick turns out to be the legend that Derek Dougan was.

If he stays for any length of time then he has the 'potential' to join the 'legends' for us - no where near that yet, but has made a good start.

From the video clips I have seen of him speaking seems to be fairly level headed & at home here, which is good to see.

Everything you read or hear from him reinforces the fact that he seems a thoroughly nice bloke

Personal view is that he'll end up a way better player than SEB - probably after we've pocketed a decent fee though...

Good interview - this bit spoke volumes to me on how good KJ is as a man manager and how it pays off "Kenny Jackett bossed you at Millwall for a bit too: was that a factor in joining?
Yeah, it was. I have always spoken highly of both Kenny and Joe Gallen, and I don’t have a bad word to say about them.
When I was at Millwall I was only 19, and they spoke to me daily and believed in me. Even when I got injured they kept in contact when I was back at Arsenal, and then when I was with Sheffield Wednesday too. So when Wolves came in for me it all added up."

I've read this week (nowhere credible, mind) that Arsenal have put a buyback clause in the transfer? Anyone know anything else about that?

Back